Wife Tending Stove???

ted

Post by ted » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 7:53 am

I was telling my wife about this thread , she thought it was pretty funny, and we both laughed when she said she doesnt even go down in the basement now.
It is now my man cave. I can get her to go for a ride to pick up coal if I buy her lunch..she does love the heat though

rychw
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by rychw » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 10:45 am

My wife had been a skeptic about the coal boiler until this year. We are saving thousands of dollars since we used to burn oil. A few months back she asked me to teach her how to keep the boiler running if something ever happended to me. I just ignored her and kept dumping the ash pan and loading the coal in the hopper. The last month I got the flu real bad, 102.7 fever!!! Well neadless to say I was in no condition to lug the caol bag into the basement and it was real cold outside. So one afternoon while I was confined to the couch, she lugged in 10 bags all by herself. I was so proud of her and went down to take a look for myself. To my disbelief she brought in 10 bags of ash that I had stored in the garage to go out in the trash!!! Needless to say, as soon as I went back to work I made up an instruction sheet for her to refer to if I am ever out of commission again. And yes, it is detailed and lets her know where the coal is stored!!

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 10:54 am

When choosing a mate, it's important, that they be able to handle a bucket of coal in each hand, without fear of breaking a nail or having to rest part way to the stove or furnace ... at least for too long. :lol:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 9:45 pm

bksaun wrote:My Wife is next to useless!

If it were not for my 3 year old son making sure it's done right, she could not fill the hopper and change the ash pan. Leaves the hopper lid half off the hopper. Spill's ashes all over the place.

Lousy cook, too lazy to clean...All she's good for is child care.

BK
Just hope she never reads your posts! bop2

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 9:54 pm

coal-cooker wrote:Mine tends the stove all the time. I keep the coal in buckets ready to go and can go away for a week at a time with no issues. She can now start a fire from scratch in about 10 minutes and have a full stove going in no time. But, we have been burning coal for about 22 years now. If I could only get her to cook on a coal stove then I could get rid of the propane completely.
How odd that you posted on this thread. I just returned from an overnighter for my job (BTW the weather is wonderful in Rochester this time of year).
The stoker was still burning, my wife followed my instructions on how to fill the hopper and empty the ash pan.
The hand-fired was stone cold with pieces of charcoal and coal on the cold grates. The thermostat for the oil burner was pushed up (at least I turned the power back on to it before I left).
Both stoves now burning, ash pans emptied, oil furnace is off, I can relax (finally).

Charlie Z

Post by Charlie Z » Fri. Feb. 29, 2008 8:57 pm

My wife jumped in from the start burning our handfired. Wanted to know how to do it and I was gone for the past month, so it worked out really well.

She really likes the heat and saving about $30-$36 a day in fuel oil (someone gave us a bunch of coal they didn't want this year). She wants a little Godin or a cookstove for the kitchen now.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Mar. 01, 2008 2:13 am

My wife knows how to turn the dial to get more heat other than that she doesn't really do much with the stove. She only weighs 120 pounds so for her to lift 50lbs. for a bag of coal is a lot.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Mar. 01, 2008 5:59 am

traderfjp wrote:My wife knows how to turn the dial to get more heat other than that she doesn't really do much with the stove. She only weighs 120 pounds so for her to lift 50lbs. for a bag of coal is a lot.
You need to send her to the gym so that she can bulk up & lift those heavy coal bags quietly so as not to disturb you from you nap. :D

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Mar. 02, 2008 12:15 am

A gym card is in order and a pair of sneakers so I'm not woken.
Devil5052 wrote:
traderfjp wrote:My wife knows how to turn the dial to get more heat other than that she doesn't really do much with the stove. She only weighs 120 pounds so for her to lift 50lbs. for a bag of coal is a lot.
You need to send her to the gym so that she can bulk up & lift those heavy coal bags quietly so as not to disturb you from you nap. :D

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Tue. Mar. 04, 2008 3:28 pm

My wife doesn't have much interest in the coal furnase because it's in the basement.We burned wood in our ulefos wood stove for years and she would bring in wood and take out ashes ,but the stove was in the palor.Now that it's in the basement it seems to be my job.Thats OK I only have to play with it twice a day.Hell it took me 2 years to learn how to burn this beast(hot blast)
DON

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Mar. 04, 2008 6:30 pm

My wife will turn the air inlet spinner counterclockwise to get more heat. I pointed out that she could turn it clockwise to reduce the heat if the house were too warm. She just looked at me blankly and said, "How could it be too warm?"

SJ Coal

Post by SJ Coal » Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 11:01 am

rberq wrote:My wife will turn the air inlet spinner counterclockwise to get more heat. I pointed out that she could turn it clockwise to reduce the heat if the house were too warm. She just looked at me blankly and said, "How could it be too warm?"
That's funny, my girlfriend is the same way. The stove would have to be glowing red before she would ever think of turning it down. But then it would be too hot to touch let alone go near. And if I wasn't home, I would probably get a phone call to alert me of the situation so I could move the knob back down by telekinesis.

spc

Post by spc » Thu. Mar. 06, 2008 11:08 am

It took me years to convince my wife that cranking the thermostat to 80* didn't make the heat come up any faster. :inlove:

BearKnot

Post by BearKnot » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 7:36 pm

spc wrote:It took me years to convince my wife that cranking the thermostat to 80* didn't make the heat come up any faster. :inlove:
:lol: Seems 80* is a required female setting. :lol:

And yet in the summer my wife complains that she is too hot when the temp hits 74*. :?

So I gave up long ago trying to show her that her internal thermostat is out of adjustment :!: :shock:

That saves me fustration & I don't have to cook my meals. ;)

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Mar. 07, 2008 7:49 pm

spc wrote:It took me years to convince my wife that cranking the thermostat to 80* didn't make the heat come up any faster. :inlove:
Ah...but my wife realizes she has tro crank it to 90* & then it comes up much faster! :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”