Have You Done Any of the Following MODS to Your 30-95 or 50-

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Stove/Furnace Make: Englander, Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 30-NC, 30-95

Post Fri. Dec. 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Please sound off if you have done any of these mods and what problems it has caused // benefits it has brought // how you would have done it differently.

poll question following up on Griz2's MODS post

#1) REMOVED REAR FIREBRICKS TO GET MORE HEAT OFF THE STOVE?

I am considering removing the rear firebricks in my 30-95 to see if it will draft naturally w/o having the blower on. This mod was suggested by Grizzly2 (see: Re: Big Hitzer 30-95 Mods.) a while back and someone else chimed in that they had done it on their 50-93 and had seen no indication of burn through.
Some of the folks on the Hearth forum have warned against doing this same mod in the 13-NC wood stove (which I also have and considered MOD-ing) because of possible burn thru.

#2 INSTALLED A BAFFLE FOR WOOD BURNING IN THE SHOULDER SEASON TO KEEP FLAMES OUT OF TUBE?

#3) INSTALLED 2NDARY TUBES ACROSS TOP OF STOVE ?.

As with most hypothetical mods, In theory it seems very doable. Drill matching holes on each side and install a spinner vent (line on Kodiaks or Harmons) those spin controlled holes would feed both ends of a stainless tube with holes in it. When burning coal you just shut em tight - or leave em cracked just till the volatiles are burnt off.
Coal is producing 50% of our energy without dependence on foreign oil and creating millions of jobs....
Let's tell our government that we don't want this industry bankrupted!
...Instead, how about we spend a few billion researching technology to burn it even cleaner!

Burning nut the 30-95, cord wood in the 30-NC and wood scraps in the potbelly.
Currently restoring a Chubby and dreaming of a Leisure Line Pocono Top Vent

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”