New Milestone...

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 12:00 pm

That's scary. I've been leaving early for work this week before its time to do the stove. I've just adjusted the schedule to doing the stover early. My wife doesn't like doing the stove and I'd rather not have a half dead fire when I get home.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 1:28 pm

My wife used to have it down pretty good ... up until the past 2 seasons where I've been getting rocks in the ash like mad. :mad: Even being super careful it's tough not to have the grates jam open. After dumping the fire twice, and me blowing up on her for doing it, she hasn't touched the stove since.

63roundbadge

Post by 63roundbadge » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Lightning wrote:Last year when I first started burning coal, the female unit tried to tend to it while I was at work a couple times. She did OK until one day I got a call with a panicking wife on the other end. OMG, I left the ash pan door open and forgot, furnace is at 500 degrees and the pipe is off the scale!! OMG what do I do??!! :shock:

SO since then, I'd rather keep her out of the furnace. And I think she likes it better that way too :lol:
Ya can't help but wonder if they're GOOD at knowing what to be BAD at, so as not to have to do it???

I told my wife if it ever goes critical to close the shutter at the bottom and prop open the baro. I have to give her credit, she's kept me honest a couple times with the MPD when I break my rythym. She knows to check that first when I'm away and the stack goes above 250 or she can smell the barbecue black on the flue...

63roundbadge

Post by 63roundbadge » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 8:14 pm

duplicate post

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Dec. 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Lightning wrote:Last year when I first started burning coal, the female unit tried to tend to it while I was at work a couple times. She did OK until one day I got a call with a panicking wife on the other end. OMG, I left the ash pan door open and forgot, furnace is at 500 degrees and the pipe is off the scale!! OMG what do I do??!! :shock:

SO since then, I'd rather keep her out of the furnace. And I think she likes it better that way too :lol:

Same thing "almost" happened here yesterday. Had to "supercharge" the lo-burning coals (from the previous nite) by opening the ash pan door the next morning. Asked the Mrs. to shut it B4 she went off to work, seeing she leaves later then me. As I was on my way out, the coals were bright, so I told her I'ld close it, which "she" watched me do. That nite at supper time, she tells me as she was having her morning break at work,she remembered she was suppose to shut it, and freaked out,and left work thinking she left it open. I'm sure she would've beaten Richard Petty home, and was relieved to see the door was shut.
(I think I'll leave the ash pan door to me). :roll:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”