Field Controls MG1 Draft Control

Storm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 1
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: Vermont Resolute wood stove for the shoulder months

Post by Storm » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 9:35 am

My new installed Harman 1 needs a barometric damper. I've post other topics, and got good results. I purchase this baro and a Dwyer manometer to measure the draft. This baro is adjusted by using washer like weights, but I don't know how to adjust it like a RC type. The people at this heating place don't know either. My Harman Manuel says .05 adjustment. How do I set this. I also have a Field Controls RC baro, but it is a 8 inch size. My chimney is 6 inch all the way. I was told that I cannot use this RC baro. It has to be the same size as the chimney. Maybe black pipe adapter to 8 inch work? Has anyone tried this? The heating contractor say this MG1 can be used for wood and coal. George Thanx ;)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 11:00 am

I don't think you want a MG-1 draft control, that is a double acting unit that is normally used on gas-fired appliances. You should use a type M or RC unit.

You can put an 8" RC on a 7" pipe, but not 6". By the time you buy the necessary stuff to adapt the 8" unit, I think you'd be better off selling/returning what you've got and getting a 6" RC draft control.

Storm

Post by Storm » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Rob. You are right. The 8inch will sell here or E-bay. :roll:

Storm

Post by Storm » Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Took the MG1back to the heating store, mine you I am in Chicago,il. To visit my grandchildren. The heating store said you don't want this? I said yep. They said why. I told them I needed a Field Control R C baro for a coal stove. Their reaction was, who heats with coal. In Chicago we use natural gas. These people are very young and somehow don't know that there are folks out there in the North country that heat their homes with other forms of solid fuel. I got my money back with a look on their faces like where did this guy came from. Also they mumble some words. I said, what did you say? I wanted to rub their snotty noses into coal ashes and have them smell some methane, but being x-mas, I walk out and cooled off with a few beers and said to myself I am proud that I can heat and survive in the North woods like most of us can period :drunk: :chop:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Storm wrote:Their reaction was, who heats with coal.
Oh yeah! I can totally relate :lol: when I started talking about coal to friends and family, they looked at me like I was nuts :eek2:
But we're lovin it now!!

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Oct. 11, 2018 5:27 pm

I agree the Field Controls Type M is awesome.. time to replace mine.. I was shocked seeing the prices $70 plus now.. I thought I paid $35 back when..

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”