Bummed Chubby

jjs777_fzr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Post by jjs777_fzr » Thu. Dec. 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Swapped out the wood burner in the cellar for the Chubby today - time to go get some coal tomorrow as I'm down to my last few lbs -

Right now the pellet stove is running on setting 2 in the living room - maintaining 72F - wood stove on opposite end of the house is maintaining 73F and the cellar is just above 60F with the Chubby cruising at 500F although I just drafted it down to 1/8th inch on the bottom slider so hopefully I can make it till morning when I go grab more of the black stuff.

I really don't like it this warm in the house but the other half does...

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 6:52 am

Thats great JJ, my basement is at 67, uninsulated , first floor at 70 and second at 67 as of this am. The chubby was at 450 this morning since 8-last night. What is in pic is what I woke up to from overnight burn and door damper at a 1/4. I added 2 scoops this morn and will not shake down till 5-6 tonight. I pretty much do what larry's video is and so far so good. What an incredible stove! And its 26 outside. Oh what a feeling,

Attachments

photo-16.jpg
.JPG | 85.9KB | photo-16.jpg
photo-17.jpg
.JPG | 82.6KB | photo-17.jpg
photo-18.jpg
.JPG | 78.5KB | photo-18.jpg

jjs777_fzr

Post by jjs777_fzr » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 9:52 am

@blizzard
With your air intake at 1/4" open what was your mpd ? Also do you run a baro ?
I shook mine at midnight and used the poker to toothpick the grates from underneath just a bit (didn't need much).
Mine was at 370F @8am using the IR temp gun on top of cover (the cover reads higher than the overall cast iron top).
I only have a mpd no baro. My mpd was closed all the way and bottom air open about 1/8th inch (1/8th inch on each side).
I added one scoop.

I change things around so much I have to relearn the Chubby when I switch out stoves (mostly for the heck of it).

My basement was nearly 64F - also uninsulated - and my first floor directly above was a comfortable 70F but the wood stove ran for about 6 hours before giving up.

nice pics

Edit - one last question where are you reading the 450F from ? Just curious.

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 10:17 am

jjs777_fzr wrote:@blizzard
With your air intake at 1/4" open what was your mpd ? Also do you run a baro ?
I shook mine at midnight and used the poker to toothpick the grates from underneath just a bit (didn't need much).
Mine was at 370F @8am using the IR temp gun on top of cover (the cover reads higher than the overall cast iron top).
I only have a mpd no baro. My mpd was closed all the way and bottom air open about 1/8th inch (1/8th inch on each side).
I added one scoop.

I change things around so much I have to relearn the Chubby when I switch out stoves (mostly for the heck of it).

My basement was nearly 64F - also uninsulated - and my first floor directly above was a comfortable 70F but the wood stove ran for about 6 hours before giving up.

nice pics

Edit - one last question where are you reading the 450F from ? Just curious.
The mpd is always closed except for refueling. I do get a lot of ash but it's only because I shake it down once a day. I also run a baro but have to get a manometer to be accurate but it pretty much set at .04. The 450 I am getting is between top of pot and below the above air slide on a manual thermometer my IR gun just says HI.

jjs777_fzr

Post by jjs777_fzr » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 10:57 am

At the risk of hijacking here - but what the heck is this ignition pilot thing ?

- Has optional cast iron ignition pilots for cleaner burning

See cl listing --
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Any know ?

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 11:43 am

Never heard of it will have to ask Larry,

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 11:53 am

Ignition pilots help pre heat the flu if you have poor draft. :D

jjs777_fzr

Post by jjs777_fzr » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 12:45 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Ignition pilots help pre heat the flu if you have poor draft. :D
Never seen it mentioned in any literature.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 1:17 pm

If those extend downward for 3 or 4 inches they could serve the same purpose as the corner flues in a Warm Morning stove. They would access the hottest part of the fire and provide an easy path to conduct hot gas and flame to the top of a new load of coal and help to ignite any gas there.

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 1:38 pm

Would definitely like to see a pic and it also sounds also like something from the hot blast stove , Stove is at 400 now some blue ladies going and have not shaken since 9-last night. It is now snowing here in Ct. but is nice inside. Few more hours and shake down crank up time.

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 3:38 pm

I agree with franco b. The air comes up through the coal bed with no obstructions. The air mixes with the gases for a hotter burn. I think they should have those on all handfired stoves.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 3:57 pm

jjs777_fzr wrote:
ONEDOLLAR wrote:Ignition pilots help pre heat the flu if you have poor draft. :D
Never seen it mentioned in any literature.
John

They are mentioned in the Chubby owners manual briefly. Though they are not called "Delayed Ignition Pilots"

From page 9 of the Chubby Stove Owners Manual..
4)Purchase optional Chimney heaters for your Chubby. (ask your dealer)

These things will help with stove draft as well as help make the "blue lady's" dance and not explode in your stove. I have asked Larry to send me good picture of them. Once I get it I will post it.

jjs777_fzr

Post by jjs777_fzr » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 4:37 pm

thx Onedollar but I'm reading pg9 of the Operating Manual available from Larry's site and still don't see the reference you mention.

edit - okay found the reference thx! but why can't I delete a post!

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks, I should have paid more attention reading the manual because if I saw that I would have definitely asked Larry.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Dec. 29, 2012 4:48 pm

John

Glad you found it. Don't know why you can't delete a post but you should be able to "edit" it away to some extent. ;)

My Jr is purring along at 425 f keeping the house at a nice 71f. And that is with the wife and dog going in and out, in and out to frolic in the snow.

Gotta love these Chubby's. They are workhorse stoves. In about a hour I will load her up for the night, give her a shake and a poke and sleep well knowing the house is going to stay nice and warm ALL night. Sorry to all if I sound overly giddy. I am still somewhat a recovering wood addict and still coming to terms with the fact that I no longer need to wake up in the middle of the night to fill up a wood stove. Sweet dreams of coal....... :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”