Bummed Chubby

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Just wanted to say hello to everyone and hope all is well. So far I have not fired up my Chubby stove yet, have over 2-ton ready to go and this ct. weather just cant make up its mind. Wanted to start at Thanksgiving but just never happened. Will see what happens buy end of week, stove is pretty dark.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Not many hope the cold times as much as we do :lol: Will probably come after 12/12/12 :shock:

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Your right, did not want to wish the cold on people that can't keep warm. Just shows how much the world is changing.

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 1:13 pm

blizzard87 wrote:Just wanted to say hello to everyone and hope all is well. So far I have not fired up my Chubby stove yet, have over 2-ton ready to go and this ct. weather just cant make up its mind. Wanted to start at Thanksgiving but just never happened. Will see what happens buy end of week, stove is pretty dark.
Wow! I've had my stove going since October 8th.It hasn't been really cold but it keeps the damp chill out of the house and I don't have to use any other heat source. On those nights it does get down in the low 30s 0r high 20s I just open it up a little more.
Filling the stove every 24 - 30 hours is no trouble at all. Shutting down and starting up is not enjoyable to me so, once its going it will stay that way till sometime in April. I still have 480 lbs left out of my first ton that was left over from last season, plus two full skids to get me till April.
I really enjoy the warmth and it looks pretty to. It just makes everything look very pleasing and comfortable. ;) :D

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Blizz

Just fire her up! You will feel better once you do. :D Got my Jr going right now. Of course I have the windows open in the house. Kind of the best of both worlds kind of thing. Fresh air and even heat from coal.... What would the Enviro Nazi's say? :o

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Tue. Dec. 11, 2012 7:40 pm

I know, this stove should have been fired up already,and I am not going to wait anymore. After work tomorrow I will fire her up. Last year I did have some difficulties when temps were close to 50 and draft. But it looks like it should only be in the 40's for a high. Good enough excuse for myself to do it. Also will do a dwyer manometer this year so I can keep eye on the draft. Will keep everyone posted.

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Tue. Dec. 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas everyone, I finally fired up the stove. It's been so long I had to watch Larry's video again but I could watch it over and over. Had some flurries last night which was Nivea d today it's 40 and sunny. A good thig from what I did and did not want to see was flames from my wood fire about 4' up the pipe to my first elbow so I guess draft is good. Will see how the stove reacts with this weather. Really looking for some cold weather to test this stove out but last winter was not bad and so far this winter. Will just sit back and wait I guess.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Dec. 26, 2012 7:53 am

Geeze Blizzard what have you been heating your house with? It has been in the 20's in NE PA and this morning it's 21. Leisure Line Econo 1 has been lit since the first week of October. Sure,,, window stats have been in operation on warmer days but Momma is happy with a nice steady 75 in the house.

A happy wife is a happy life. :roll:

Rev. Larry

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 26, 2012 10:22 am

blrman07 wrote:
A happy wife is a happy life. :roll:

Rev. Larry
Amen to that Reverend !

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Wed. Dec. 26, 2012 5:31 pm

I have been using my pel-et st--e just did not want to say it on this forum lol, just wanted to wait for the cold and now the chubby took over, and boy how much of a difference there is in the heat. So far everything went well for the first 24-hrs so I should be on my way. I had the stove just idling at about 250 most of the day yesterday and now today it was cold and stove is at about 500 and kicking. were supposed to get some 60-mph winds tonight so will have to wait and see how stove reacts. I called Larry today and asked him a cple questions about temps and burn and as always very helpful. This is the start of my second season using this stove over the past 8-years doing pellet. It's just amazing how great these stoves work! Bliz

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Dec. 26, 2012 5:58 pm

Pellet stove? Boooooo! :lol:

Fill the Chubby with coal and let it work.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Dec. 26, 2012 6:08 pm

I hate to admit it Rob, but I have a little 30K BTU wood pellet insert I use in October and May but since installing the DHW coils, I'm gonna be a little more prone to start the coal earlier and shut it down later 8-)

blizzard87

Post by blizzard87 » Wed. Dec. 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Weird, I just typed up a reply hit submit and I can't see it? Oh well, I am most definitely gonna keep the stove running probably till april or as long as my 120 bags last's. It's amazing how I do not mind getting up and tending the coal stove and also at night, and all I did was complain about the pellet stove upkeep. Must just be something about using coal.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Dec. 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Most comments about Chubby stoves on the forum are very positive and it's a good thing to be able to get parts from Larry :)

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Dec. 26, 2012 11:46 pm

I've been using a Chubby for 3 years now and couldn't be happier. It's our primary Heating source for our 1200 sq ft ranch. Oil burner kicks on in single digits to give the old girl a helping hand, but that's not too often! Stay warm my friends...Happy New Year!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”