A Couple of Chubby Stoves for Sale

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 2:29 pm

If anyone is interested I ran across these Chubby's for sale.

Chubby Stove | eBay
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
These stoves are Shiek Larry "Maharaji" Trainer's babies. I have personally seen both of the units available when I was down at the Chubby plant and these units are in LIKE NEW condition. When Larry rehabs an older Chubby, he rehabs the stove. No shortcuts or half measures. Good price too and if you need one shipped the price is excellent.

Jr Chubby Coal Burning Stove in Great Condition Junior Plimoth Coal Stove Works | eBay
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Saw this Jr up for sale as well. Jr's don't show up for sale all that often, so if you are thinking about getting one you might want to jump on this offer. I don't know the person selling the stove but Chubby's are pretty much bullet proof and like a Timex watch they can take a licking and keep on ticking. Even if this stove needed a new firepot and grates it is still a good deal I think.

Anyway hope someone somewhere might find this info useful..

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Nice.

Boots
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

Post by Boots » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 6:58 pm

what kind of heat will that jr. chubby make? could it heat 1400 sqft? single story.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 7:52 pm

The Chubby SR is rated at 60k BTU/hr. I had trouble heating my 1200 sq. ft. house with one; but my house is incredibly drafty. If your house is insulated well enough I'd imagine it'd do ok.

Boots
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham SFB 101 (sold)

Post by Boots » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 8:18 pm

so a jr. is out of the question. I just daydream about having a 3rd heat source. My wife would kill me if I bought something else, ive spent enough money on my boiler as is. I do like to daydream though.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm heating a 1200 sq. ft. ranch with a Chubby Sr. Not the best insulation and single pane windows. It keeps our house in the high 70's burning at 450* on 30*+ nights. It struggles a bit when the temp dips into the low 20's or upper teens. New windows and insulation is on the to do list, should help.

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Mon. Dec. 10, 2012 10:56 pm

The best coal Chubby Sr to purchase are the units with the factory blower unit installed. I have one and have burned it with the fan on and with the fan off to see how the stove heats. With the fan off the Chubby Sr does not perform well. My Jotul 507 radiates much much better than the Chubby Sr. Having the fan on makes the Chubby Sr a real performer. Now, if you add a rheostat to slow the fan speed down so it does not produce so much noise and cool the stove too much, the Chubby Sr is capable of heating large sq.ft. of space.

It is no secret I am a huge fan of the Jotul 507 and have had a grate and pot failure with the Chubby Sr, however, I do give credit where credit is due and the Chubby Sr is a good unit that can really perform provided you have the unit with the factory installed fan unit. My pot and grate failure I had with my Chubby Sr was most likely from improper seasoning from the previous owner. I do wonder how the Chubby Jr heats compared to my Jotul 507. The two units produce almost the same amount of BTU so it would be an interesting comparison between the two. This is just my two cents.

The snowman.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”