King O Heat

UncleDoDat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King-O-Heat
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Size
Other Heating: Natural Gas

Post by UncleDoDat » Thu. Dec. 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Jane684 wrote:This is interesting, as your stove looks like the original one, but contained inside a nice looking cabinet. I see that my .jpg picture is no longer available here on the forum, so here is a link to the picture on my own site.
http://www.jcarter.net/king-o-heat/original.jpg

Yes, the firebrick looks grooved on mine, we did buy new firebrick. The grate is OK on this one.
But we did buy an aftermarket one. And my husband welded up an old one.
Here is a picture of the innards, with the grate and firebrick.
http://www.jcarter.net/king-o-heat/inside.jpg

On the coldest winter that I can remember, when we didn't use the oil furnace much, just at night, the coal stove heated the entire house(3 story) very well. And we used probably 3 tons. It gets pretty windy here on Cape Cod in the winter, but not all that often below the mid 20s F.
Yes they are exactly identical on the inside and the grates also.

New firebrick huh? Where'd you get it from.?? I dread the day I need to replace the fire brick. It seems so involved. Disassembling and all. Then reassembling. Getting past that cabinet is going to be tough. I wish there was a youtube video that I could watch detailing the process.

It hasn't been very cold so I haven't been able to see it true potential. All I know is last year I got 2tons of nut coal delivered. This year I got 4tons and it has taken a major hit on my coal reserves.
1451587275700-2125013409.jpg
.JPG | 190.2KB | 1451587275700-2125013409.jpg

Jane684
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King O Heat, we have 2
Other Heating: Oil and wood

Post by Jane684 » Thu. Dec. 31, 2015 2:02 pm

Martin Industries is where we got the firebrick, but they said it was the last shipment of it that they had in their warehouse.
But its worth a call to them, as I see more coal stoves for sale in our local papers, so Im sure people will be looking for parts.

Yes, it was pretty much a beast taking the stove apart and installing the new firebrick. We used what was left over and good for the other stove which we sold on Craigs List. It went within a day.

morso

Post by morso » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi I stumbled across this post this is my king of heat stove. I picked it up this summer Nos. never had a fire in it. It pumps out heat but I do have problems with it smelling if it a little warmer outside no matter have carefully I load it Its almost impossible to get coal of any type here in NC and that another problem. With my draft problems I wonder if a little air from the door vent is good or bad.

Attachments

File_000 (14).jpeg
.JPEG | 115.6KB | File_000 (14).jpeg

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:50 pm

morso wrote:Hi I stumbled across this post this is my king of heat stove. I picked it up this summer Nos. never had a fire in it. It pumps out heat but I do have problems with it smelling if it a little warmer outside no matter have carefully I load it Its almost impossible to get coal of any type here in NC and that another problem. With my draft problems I wonder if a little air from the door vent is good or bad.
If you have a 'Tractor Supply Company' near you, you should be able to order nut sized anthracite from them. Are you in North Carolina? Your profile says Arkansas.

morso

Post by morso » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Yes thanks I am going to give them a try the nearest one that stocks it is 45 miles. I will try ask my local store to carry it. But never have much luck in Tractor supply. It is going to be interesting to see how much she burns. Used to live in AR but have changed the profile now. Wish I could improve the draft somehow But still getting used to the stove.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 10:38 pm

What type of chimney do you have and how high is it?

morso

Post by morso » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 11:06 pm

File_001 (8).jpeg
.JPEG | 93.8KB | File_001 (8).jpeg
6' Black stove pipe. last part double wall where it enters brick chimney. the brick chimney is not over large and about twenty foot. about nine inch square inside. It clears the building well. There are two 45 angles in stove pipe.

morso

Post by morso » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Please forgive the rotation of picture cant see how to change it. We are living and working on a old abandoned water plant. That's why things are unfinished.

UncleDoDat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: King-O-Heat
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald #6
Coal Size/Type: Nut & Stove Size
Other Heating: Natural Gas

Post by UncleDoDat » Mon. Jan. 25, 2016 2:58 am

morso wrote:Hi I stumbled across this post this is my king of heat stove. I picked it up this summer Nos. never had a fire in it. It pumps out heat but I do have problems with it smelling if it a little warmer outside no matter have carefully I load it Its almost impossible to get coal of any type here in NC and that another problem. With my draft problems I wonder if a little air from the door vent is good or bad.
So can I assume you have been burning wood up to this point? And if so, coal will be a whole different animal. I too have acquired my stove over the summer and this is my first season burning. And I have noticed when I burn wood I too can smell the wood throughout the house. But when burning wood it is said that it needs air fron above more than from below. So I wood assume thats how you regulate the temp on the door when burning wood.

Now when burning coal this baby really puts out heat. I mean it's hard to tame some time. Most times I close it up all air vents and lock it down (mpd) and it rest on 400 degrees. Which is plenty enough to heat this part of the house.

I hope you are able to prepare some coal.

Jane684

Post by Jane684 » Mon. Jan. 25, 2016 7:41 am

Here is a list of some of the parts and things from earlier,
UncleDoDat @ King O Heat

Just pictures here, but might help in parts ID.
http://www.jcarter.net/king-o-heat/plywood.jpg
http://www.jcarter.net/king-o-heat/

The one we didn't sell is still hooked up sitting right beside our new nat-gas furnace. And we still have a ton at least of coal. Its just back up nowadays, but you never know,,,,and its good to be prepared. And a full tank of oil for our older back up oil furnace.

Jane684

Post by Jane684 » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Im having trouble logging in again, so I will have to continue this tomorrow, I lost my entire message. If this continues, I will have to email to you but that might not work either.
Lets see what I can do to fix my logging in problem,,,,,,,,,

Jane684

Post by Jane684 » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 4:35 pm

upright.jpg
.JPG | 152.3KB | upright.jpg
I did turn your picture upright, see if I can post the picture.

Jane684

Post by Jane684 » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 4:39 pm

OK, I will try my message again.
First, use it as a coal stove, only use wood to start it, as wood will crud your chimney up, coal burns clean, wood won't.
Then use the bottom air intake for Anthracite, and u will need a little air from the top one for Bituminus. Experiment around with both but use the bottom one for your primary, as coal works best with air coming up under it. Dont fill it too full at first. Experiment around with it, it does indeed take a while to get used to running these King0Heats. We had 2(sold one), and they both burned differently. Practice is the name of the game. Dont over-fire it, and dont burn it without enuf air, it will stink. I will grab my husband with more details. Tomorrow.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 8:04 pm

thanks Jane, i hoped you were still here and would be along.

i don't like telling other peoples stories cause i don't remember half my own stuff :baby: ;)

steve

Jane684

Post by Jane684 » Mon. Nov. 20, 2017 10:08 am

Hi Steve,
Ive been looking back thru this entire thread, yes lots of good info there.
We still have ours hooked up, in case the gas main going over our bridge ever got compromised, we would have both a full oil tank and about a couple months worth of coal. Coal got very expensive here, due to politics, not ease of mining it.

I like your 'true measure of a mans' quote, our family has a similar one.
Its how people treat animals is the clue of how they will treat humans. All my police officer friends know thats an absolute truth.

Anyway, practise with the coal stove, as each stove is different. We had a wood stove which had an amazing draft, and once in a while, it would 'run away', and would get red hot if you didn't close the air intake immediately. These can lead to pretty spectacular chimney fires, we always cleaned the chimney carefully, but if it gets really hot, then you can get one anyway. Ive a video of our 'ram jet' firing up over the roof. We put it out thank god, but ended up with some cracks in the liner. Coal stoves leave no crud in their chimney, so that will never happen, but just dont let it run away, as it can get dangerously hot. Monitor it until its cooking evenly.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”