Damn Warm Weather...

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 9:38 pm

With the temps in the 60's, I shut the stove down and it needed a good cleaning. I got some "free" coal and a little more iron than I am used to, I guess I am spoiled by UAE.

Well, hopefully winter comes back, I enjoy shaking the stove twice a day....

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Pfft! We have an annual ski trip the week before Christmas in New Hampshire. They were skiing last week and now this. They're saying the next half of Dec. is gonna wicked Cold.....we will see about that.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 9:42 pm

I cut mine back low and slow. Shake and load once per day, about 25 pounds.. I try to idle thru a few warm days. Any more than that I'll let it go out 8-)

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Yea I'm shut down and just burning wood at night for a few hours .

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 9:52 pm

I left the 1 match club for the season on Sunday. I just can't take the heat! :blowup: The chimney sweep will be here at 8:30AM tomorrow morning to sweep the thing, while the stove is shut down.
Ed.A wrote:They're saying the next half of Dec. is gonna wicked Cold.....we will see about that.
Looking at the weather maps, looks like the northern branch of the jet stream may dip to the south later in the month. Let's hope they're right!

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/ens/spag_ ... ation.html

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 9:57 pm

I think we are the only people who like it cold. Everyone I talk to is loving the warm weather but I'm wanting the cold!

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm still going. Just set it to idle and turned off the blower. Almost ready to break into the second ton. :)

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 9:18 am

I'm still running. Although this morning I said to myself I should let it go out for a cleaning. I know I wont though. I've got it idling around 220°, supposed to get cold tonight.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 11:39 am

I already posted about this in coffee, but this fits the topic better so I'll do it again. :D

I let mine go out Sunday night. Not only because of the forecast, but because the damn grates jammed wide open. Been happening quite a bit these past couple seasons, and I'm getting REAL tired of it. No matter how careful I am in shaking, something gets in there .... then you fight it .... and the grates get wider ... and wider .... and wider .... until the whole fire is sitting in the ashpan! :mad:

I left the grates jammed open Sat. night and just piled the coal on. It burned all the coal out of there, so that worked. Was going to relight Monday night, but forecast said it was supposed to be warm! BULLSHIT! Woke up to 34° outside and 59° inside - that REALLY sucks when you get used to a constant 70°. Ended up relighting yesterday at 10 am. That same fire is still burning now. Going to try to let it go until the afternoon - as long as I can, so I get back into the shake/reload cycle at 6pm or later. Works better that way. Whenever I reload in the morning, the best heat is coming out when I least need it ... then it starts tapering down in temperature when I need it most. The evening cycle works best for me. 25 hour + burn so far. We'll see how long this will go for ...

Here's some graphs of the outdoor / indoor temps when I got up Tuesday morning. BRRR! Took all day Tuesday, even with temps in the 50's, to get the house back up to 70°. Once this place is warm, you gotta keep it warm.

Just FYI - the vertical scale is different in both graphs. Indoor one is 1 degree per line, outdoor is 3 per line.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Same thing here inQc. :mad:
Now, since the beginning of the heating ""season"" :?: I ""play"" to burning the Sunny, then the Sunny and the Golden B., then just the Golden...now just the Sunny but hope the cold will arrive soonnnnnnn :!:

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 8:26 pm

Smitty

What is the gadget your reading the temps with one of those weather station things and does it have a digital read out as well as the graph ? I could go nuts trying to count the dots and adding 1* or 3* and I'm sure I would forget and jack it all up, is it easy to read ? What all does it tell you and how many different temps does it give ?

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 8:42 pm

It's a Davis Vantage Pro 2. It's really very simple. That was just a closeup of the left half of the display. You can see the highs and lows for the day in a separate screen.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 9:09 pm

Thanks Smitty,
I'm going to research it, I checked into some last year and never got one and didn't stay on top of it so now I forget it all and have to start all over.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I bought it from Provantage.com - they were the cheapest - hands down - of ANYWHERE I could find at that time. By a large margin too - over $100 cheaper than the next best!

I was working at the time and had a good year. It's NOT cheap. :shock:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Dec. 06, 2012 11:51 am

Smitty, what do you have outside of the house for it, I mean is it a probe connected to the inside screen or something else? It seems that the screen has a wind monitor, is it correct and if so how does it monitor the wind's rate and directions?
Hope my English is questions are understandable, thanks.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”