Stove Pipe Installation

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
JeepGuy04
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter CFS
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Gibralter
Stove/Furnace Model: CFS

Post Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Hello,

I'm working on installing new stove pipe for my stove. I have a 6" pipe that I'm connecting to the top of the stove. I've drilled holes and screwed it in but I notice a tiny gap between the outside of the new pipe and the hole in the stove. It's not that "perfect fit". Do I need to use furnace cement to seal off the first pipe section from inside of the stove? Or would air be drawn inward through the crack from the draft? This is my second year burning and fist pipe installation.

Any advice would be helpful. I don't want gases to be released from the gap

Thanks

ROB

echos67
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood No. 6.

Post Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 7:25 pm

I like to use furnace cement on any seam before the mpd and then high temp silicone after. The cement is hard to get apart later where as the high temp silicone is easy but it doesn't withstand very high temps.
Keith V
Glenwood No. 6

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post Mon. Dec. 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Always found the cement works well for me, the pipe connections after the stove port for pipe to pipe fit are normally more than sufficient sealing surfaces.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

JeepGuy04
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter CFS
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Gibralter
Stove/Furnace Model: CFS

Post Tue. Dec. 04, 2012 11:23 pm

ok, thanks for the help

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Wed. Dec. 05, 2012 8:10 am

JeepGuy04 wrote:Do I need to use furnace cement to seal off the first pipe section from inside of the stove? Or would air be drawn inward through the crack from the draft? This is my second year burning and fist pipe installation.
Any amount of negative pressure (draft) in the pipe would insure that gases would not be able to leak out any cracks or connections in the pipe. BUT, in the event of a draft failure, having these leaks sealed would inhibit carbon monoxide from leaking into the stove room.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”