Looking at DS 1500/1600Wh- Family Friendly?

ridgeracing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove

Post by ridgeracing » Thu. Nov. 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Long story short! My family moved into a new to us ranch home. Dont want to use electric baseboard heat. It is 1100 sqft with a 1000sqft basement/mancave that stove is currently in. I am currently using a late 80s no name hand fired coal stove that works ok but I am learning that when I burn it to heat whole house 73-75 basement / 69-71 upstairs that it wont last 11-12hrs without clogging up with ash and leaving unburnt coals on top and burning out/idling. I don't no what BTU my stove is either, so don't no if a 1500 or 1600 is better?
Here is the kicker- I am in military, so I get deployed randomly threw year. I want something my wife and 14yr old son can maintain and not have to worry about clogging up grate. They can shake every 12hrs or so, just don't want them having to deal with clogged grates.
My home is a brick ranch that is inulated ok, but basement is block wall with drop ceiling. Stove is at one end and stairway is at other with door open. Will a DS machine with no fan still push heat upstairs, I am looking to install return registers in oposite end of house were stairway is that will bring cold air down (in corners) to were stove will be. Thanks for all input!

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Nov. 30, 2012 3:48 am

I would install the registers first and make sure I can get good circulation before changing stoves. Once you've got that right, then think about the bigger stove. The situation that you've described is not ideal but typical in allot of ranch homes. You will want a handfed with a hopper for the longest burn times, or a stoker for ease of use for you're family.

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Beeman » Fri. Nov. 30, 2012 5:09 am

Several thoughts come to mind. Living in E-town has you close to the DS Machine manufaacturing plant in Gordonville, just east of Lancaster. Ifyou have not already, why not drive over there and talk to them about their stoves, see what they have, etc. They also have a great selection of registers to choose from.

I run a Hitzer 503 insert--similar to 50-93 freestanding stove--and love the hopper feature. Can be loaded up and needs tending only every 12 hours. No ash clogging problems whatsoever. I heat my entire 3000 sq ft contemporary house with this insert and it does well. Air movement in a ranch home is not as easy, but registers should help. I believe both DS and Hitzer stoves are of the highest quality.

Running a coal stove involves science and art and feel. If you are going to rely on your wife or son during deployments, are they interested, well informed, and able to run the stove? Can be dangerous if not.

I used to spend alot of time in E-town as a kid and remember the Moose theater, Hetrick's store, and the smell of the Klein chocolate factory! Good luck.

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Beeman » Fri. Nov. 30, 2012 5:10 am

[Sorry for double post which I cannot completely clear!]

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”