Random Chirping From Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Demented wrote:After double checking everything, it turned out that the "new" batteries were not quite new as they were supposed to be since my volt meter showed them having low voltage. I also forgot about the smoke detector in the stairwell that also needed a new battery. After checking and replacing batteries, the carbon monoxide detector was throwing the random chirp so off to Lowes I went. Picked up a new detector and all is now quiet. I guess the old one was no longer usable since the I haven't heard a thing from the new.
I believe that for lower levels of CO the detectors can take up to 4 hours to respond to its presence. The higher the concentration, the faster they are supposed to respond.
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Nice demented, ain't it grand when a plan comes together. :) Make sure you hit that test button every couple weeks.
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”