My Wife Is Going to Kill Me! Zephyr Cook Stove

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 10:41 am

I just bought a zephyr cook stove with water tank and another WM 414a for 225$ ... I am loading it now but am afraid for my life when I get home !!!

I will send pics later
But here is one

Last edited by Smokeyja on Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 10:52 am

Just don't forget to put my name on your testament for the heritage, I will only take the stoves so she will be happy again :lol:

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 10:54 am

At least you'll die happy :mrgreen:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 11:00 am

....and warm :D

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 11:48 am

Well I didn't die but I took a few punches to the back... Now it's ok though because I promised to sell my sail boat.

Oh well get rid of one hobby for the other. At least stoves give me heat in return the boat is a hole in the water .

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 11:50 am

Does this stove burn wood only, or is it also capable of burning coal? And if coal, can it burn anthracite, or would it be strictly bituminous?
Last edited by lsayre on Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Smokeyja wrote:Well I didn't die but I took a few punches to the back... Now it's ok though because I promised to sell my sail boat.

Oh well get rid of one hobby for the other. At least stoves give me heat in return the boat is a hole in the water .
OH, HELL NO! Never give up your toys,take another punch or kick, but this is comming from a unmarried man.Besides i'm sure she will be rubbing your back when she's nice and warm from the stoves.

Davian

Post by Davian » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Smokeyja wrote:Well I didn't die but I took a few punches to the back... Now it's ok though because I promised to sell my sail boat.

The 2nd happiest day of any boat owner is the day he buys a boat...the happiest day, of course, is the day he sells it.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 2:34 pm

BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand

ramblerboy2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac MCK 508
Other Heating: Embassy Ambassador BMS natural gas boiler, Aga kitchen range

Post by ramblerboy2 » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Love the Zephyr! Exactly something I'd love to own. Ditto on the WM.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Dennis wrote:

OH, HELL NO! Never give up your toys,take another punch or kick, but this is comming from a unmarried man.Besides i'm sure she will be rubbing your back when she's nice and warm from the stoves.
Don't worry I had told my wife I was selling the boat before I bought this stove. I just reminded her that I was selling something I really loved. I do love the sail boat but I don't get to use it enough and I want a newer one in a few more years. I need something that I can rig easier by myself. You need at least 2 people to rig my current one... well to get the mast up.

Anyways I have enough toys, trust me 8-) The stove hobby is something I really love to work on even more than my motorcycles and cars to be honest.

So here is some photos. I cleaned up the zephyr some and put a little bit of oil on the top .

From the ashes it looks like anthracite was the last type of fuel used in this stove but maybe some of you guys can confirm if this is an anthracite stove or not. I am pretty sure its a coal stove because you can't get much wood in that thing.

Also there are some things on there I don't know what they were used for so you cook stove experts can help me out.

I needed the top frame pieces because my current 414a doesnt fit right. The firebrick in this is mostly busted up but I can use it to recast some bricks.
what are all these control for?
**Broken Image Link(s) Removed**
the grates
The oven in good condition. no rust through
I am assuming this is how you turn the grates. the tools for this are MIA does anyone have any photos of what a period correct tool would look like and I can remake them. Also that top pull out, what would you use that for? Toast or something?
What exactly does this do?
Good quick heat ;) but expensive kerosine
What was this section of the stove used for?
The tank above has been repaired on the back so I will make a new SS tank. Can you guys tell me how or what these tanks used for if they were not pressurized? maybe to wash cloths or dishes?
in the image above you will see the only damage I could find on the stove. I small piece of the casting broke where there was a bolt. no big deal I'll fix that.

Let me know if any come out sidways. I upload these from my phone to my ftp server and this retarded linux machine I am using will show them sideways but my phone up and down....this computer has issues.

Smokeyja

Post by Smokeyja » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 5:53 pm

nortcan wrote:Just don't forget to put my name on your testament for the heritage, I will only take the stoves so she will be happy again :lol:
yea but then you would have to make the trip down with a big trailer and lug these accross the border. Btw how does buying a large stove go over with customs in Canada?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 7:04 pm

They used the water heater for any home warm water needs, but probably not for laundry. It is possible that the square stove top doors belong on the other side for your water heater but Im not sure. You may want a spigot on the one you build instead of scooping out water. You can usually find a new oven rack close to same size at a store. Look in the outdoor grill section as thats where I found one to fit.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Smokeyja wrote:
nortcan wrote:Just don't forget to put my name on your testament for the heritage, I will only take the stoves so she will be happy again :lol:
yea but then you would have to make the trip down with a big trailer and lug these accross the border. Btw how does buying a large stove go over with customs in Canada?
Well, I didn't though you got so many stoves :D. I will have to make some arrangements with the railrod guys... :) For the Canadian customs, no problems as long as what you buy is ""Made in USA""

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Nice find!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”