Coal Ashes

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 8:48 pm

echos67 wrote:I fill holes throughout the yard, not sure about a garden but no problem growing grass in the holes I fill.
Damn, I never even thought of doing this in my hole filled yard. The damn septic contractor did a *censored* job on the entire project.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 8:56 pm

joeq wrote:Sounds popular, but as mentioned above, do you guys end up with a mess when the snow goes away, or any tracking of ashes into the house? Or is the amount so slight, it really doesn't affect it?
I also use it in the gravel driveway near the road. I avoid using it in the walkway areas because it will get tracked in the house. I always take off my boots, but the others in the house don't always do so.
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

Mark (PA)
Stove/Furnace Make: 1953 EFM SF-520 High Boy
Stove/Furnace Model: Fitzgibbon Boiler

Post Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Joe

if you are putting ashes on hard surfaces you will have alot more issues with mess and tracking into the home.

Sidewalks or paved driveways...

My opinion anyway....

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 7:46 am

You can buy large steel trashcans, made in America at tractor supply. I would also think any stores near farming communities would also sell metal horse or cattle troughs. I use the steel trashcans from tractor supply and then dump them out on my driveway but now that there is mention of putting it in the yard I think I might try that. I have some very uneven spots left by my septic contractors as well when they ran new header pipes. Just be aware that coal ash when wet can do some good damage to metal considering it creates sulphuric acid. I also might not use it on crops of any sort. Coal fly ash has trace amounts of inorganic arsenic . I have no idea of the levels or level of ash it would take to produce enough arsenic to effect the soil but just be aware. I would think that if you needed to bump the PH on your soil though that this might do it.
Josh http://www.stellarsmithing.com
-Glenwood #6 Base heater - Richmond Advance Range -2 Locke stove co. Warm Morning 414A -Deville express - wood parlour stove
Dance of the Blue Ladies --->http://youtu.be/KfzF47S7bFM?list=UUnshvG_vjY7CT9QKfNuB9dg
Mathew 6:33-34

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 7:48 am

I am with Cap and others. I put them in construction strength trash bags and ship them out with the garbage. Don't forget that coal ash contains heavy metals and you might not want them hanging around and accumulating on your property. Some realtor or regulator might have a problem down the line.....

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 8:11 am

Smokeyja wrote:You can buy large steel trashcans, made in America at tractor supply. I would also think any stores near farming communities would also sell metal horse or cattle troughs. I use the steel trashcans from tractor supply and then dump them out on my driveway but now that there is mention of putting it in the yard I think I might try that. I have some very uneven spots left by my septic contractors as well when they ran new header pipes. Just be aware that coal ash when wet can do some good damage to metal considering it creates sulphuric acid. I also might not use it on crops of any sort. Coal fly ash has trace amounts of inorganic arsenic . I have no idea of the levels or level of ash it would take to produce enough arsenic to effect the soil but just be aware. I would think that if you needed to bump the PH on your soil though that this might do it.
Thats why I wondered if it may not be a good idea to put in driveways. Suppose that ash clings to the tires and is broadcast up into the fenders? Sulfuric acid and metal, couldn't that be detrimental to your car's body?? :shock:

I've seen what it does to a stove pipe in a few months with no fire lol
Attachments
IMG_20120923_123816.jpg

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 8:32 am

Suppose that ash clings to the tires and is broadcast up into the fenders? Sulfuric acid and metal, couldn't that be detrimental to your car's body??
Ash should be dilute enough during inclimate weather but you have a very good point if ash on autos isn't dilute.
Randy
If you have time to make a post looking for free advice, then show some appreciation and say thank you.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 8:37 am

Ash should be dilute enough during inclimate weather but you have a very good point if ash on autos isn't dilute.
Countering alkaline Ca salts spread on the road to stop you slipping - hmmm - is this the cure for the NE winter car disease? Nothing bad has been revealed yet.
Posted by an unreasonable adult.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 8:39 am

It can't be any worse than the crap they spread on the roads. Give your vehicles a thorough wash down in the spring and you should be fine.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 8:44 am

Yea I don't think it's a big issue. I haven't seen any problems yet. I don't think the amount that would hit the car and then fly off would amount to much of anything. In rain it's too wet and diluted and in the dry it doesn't stick. Now ash sitting in something or on metal is where you would get issues.
Last edited by Smokeyja on Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh http://www.stellarsmithing.com
-Glenwood #6 Base heater - Richmond Advance Range -2 Locke stove co. Warm Morning 414A -Deville express - wood parlour stove
Dance of the Blue Ladies --->http://youtu.be/KfzF47S7bFM?list=UUnshvG_vjY7CT9QKfNuB9dg
Mathew 6:33-34

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 8:49 am

Well, personally - I'm gonna choose not to help rot my vehicle.. The north east winters already attribute plenty for that cause. :x I'm gonna say that putting ash in the driveway so that it can form an acidy slop is NOT gonna help my vehicle's body maintain it's health. :idea: But, thats my own 2 cents worth.. :lol: Opinions may be opposed, results may vary - do so at your own risk :P

nortcan
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 9:28 am

I put ash in trash metal can ( I have 2 of them). When one can is 1/2 full, I take it outside and re-bag it in the same bags I got the anthracite in. Takes just a few minutes to do so. After I put the ash bags in the ash bin to be pick up by the town servive.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson
Stove/Furnace Make: Thermopride
Stove/Furnace Model: oil fired

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 10:00 am

Pretty clever Nort, recycling the original bags. I just used my new galvanized metal 20 gal. container for the 1st time this morning, and what a dusty cloud that rose to contaminate my lungs, as I held my breath to the point of unconsciousness. Usually, when I empty my ash pan, it's still hot, and dumping into a plastic bag would prove to be problematic, as they'ld burn through the bottom. But after they cool, the bags could prove useful. Just need to figure a way to load them without spilling the ash all over the floor/ground. I guess some type of holding fixture for the empty bag, and a home-made funnel is in order. Good tip.
I got coal in my Christmas stocking. (Yey!)
http://nepacrossroads.com/about36489.html

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 10:53 am

I'd be careful with the galvie steel cans....any moisture and you will be getting new ones every season. I save what I need to winter's slippery spots and have a list of folks who come and get what they need when they anticipate an ice storm, or a big storm. Plow guys will ask for all they can get to mix with sand also. They love it!
My experience is that there is no better anti slip compound available and it does not corrode vehicles unless it were 6 " deep on the roadway. It easily is washed off the driveway during the spring rains, and is not particularly messy. If you walk in it and bring it into the house, shame on you. You should know better. I would not put it on your gardens, however many do. The rebagging for disposal is a PITA. Handle the ash as few times as you can. It goes without saying that hot ash should be cooled before disposal.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a 'piece of human solid waste' by the clean end." More true today....

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - (custom built by Jim Dorsey, Taunton MA - RIP 4/18/13)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (SOLD!)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post Sun. Nov. 18, 2012 10:57 am

Welcome to Ash Mountain. :D
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are
neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ...Such laws make things worse
for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to
encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with
greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in "On
Crimes and Punishment."

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”