What Put My Coal Fire Out?

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 7:23 pm

I had a great coal fire going; deep bed of coals, all glowing bright orange, no dark spots, freshly cleaned out with no ash, and with so much heat I thought; 'What a great time to get rid of some magazines."

So...

I tossed in (1) magazine and it fire balled nicely, but when I checked the fire 30 minutes later, the magazine really had not burned. It had ballooned from its normal 1/4 inch depth to about 3 inches, every page visible and glowing, and did so for an hour, but at the same time, it put my coal fire out. I mean out!

I burn a lot of trash, but have never seen this before. I know it takes a hot fire to consume stacks of magazines...typically bon fires are where I burn my magazines, but as hot as this fire was, I thought it would work. I am just curious what put the coal fire out so quickly...the clay in the paper perhaps?

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Interesting question...

Possilbility -

Coal fire has a light draft.

Magazine on top of the fire killed the draft before the magazine could be consumed.

Kill the draft, kill the fire.

Bonfires on the other hand have a lot of draft and sometimes a lot of draft beer! :D

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Do you really need to know if it was the clay in the mags or just realize that it was probably not the best of game plans? Just curious. Come on NS, you're a ship builder, not a chemist. KISS ;) PS--what the hell is clay doing in your magazines anyway? :help: toothy

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Magazines burn like *censored* anyway - way too much ash. I don't throw any trash in the coal once I light it up for the season. The fire is very sensitive to airflow, and paper ash - especially what comes out of mags - will block that right up. I also found out that certain plastics are HIGHLY corrosive when burned. I save all that for the burn barrel.

If the barrel needs more draft, I make more ... with my .45 .. :D ;)

baddawg
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by baddawg » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 7:27 am

I know with cars they make the prototype out of clay, maybe they do that with ships too?? So I could see why he has clay magazines. :nana:

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 7:15 am

With magazine paper they put clay in the mix to give the better a better shine when the ink is applied, that is why it burns harder, but also why it is glossy. They also use wax, but it is the clay glaze on the paper that really gives it that glossy look the magazine companies are after.

I was not trying to over-think this, it is just that this is about burning coal and well...after awhile there is only so many times you can discus the burning of black rocks. I just had never seen magazines burn this way before, and since it was different then what I expected, I thought I would post my experience of having a single magazine put out a blazingly hot coal fire.

I actually encourage people to try it, at least once. It was really cool to watch!

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 7:58 am

NoSmoke wrote:l...after awhile there is only so many times you can discus the burning of black rocks.
Horrors of all horrors...you can discuss the burning of black rocks forever.

My name is Larry and I am a black rock addict.

baddawg
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by baddawg » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 9:46 am

NS, That is something I never knew, I know clay is used for a lot of things, but I guess I will stop licking the centerfolds now :drool:

AND I don't think I'll be putting any on the fire, I already joined the muti match club....

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 11:03 am

Yo bd, clay won't hurt ya-- a little fiber in fact--soooo, no need to give that up--I'm sure not gonna, not with winter comin on the hill--hell, them sheep are only so good for so long :clap: toothy Sorry about the sheep reference NS ;)

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 5:46 pm

I agree with Smitty about the paper ash blocking the air passage along with the over air fire starving the coal fire

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Nov. 17, 2012 4:48 am

You are right. I stand corrected. To coal burners everywhere I send 1000 apologies your way!

(No problem about the sheep reference Fred, I got thick skin!)
blrman07 wrote:
NoSmoke wrote:l...after awhile there is only so many times you can discus the burning of black rocks.
Horrors of all horrors...you can discuss the burning of black rocks forever.

My name is Larry and I am a black rock addict.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Nov. 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Blame the wife ! Likely an air flow issue ... amount of clay in paper is rather small (~5%) ...

MarySthewriter

Post by MarySthewriter » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 7:00 pm

freetown fred wrote:Yo bd, clay won't hurt ya-- a little fiber in fact--soooo, no need to give that up--I'm sure not gonna, not with winter comin on the hill--hell, them sheep are only so good for so long toothy Sorry about the sheep reference NS ;)
Fred... I am beginning to think of changing my screename, address, phone number....
LOL At least I'm learning which members to watch out for...
:notsure: :funny:

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 8:21 pm

I have to agree with others; The magazine blocked the air flow through the coal fire. At the same time, the coal fire uses most of the oxygen before it gets to the magazine. This is why the magazine (or any other paper) doesn't instantly burst into flames from the intense heat of a coal fire. Of course, the tight pages of magazines are hard to burn anyways.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Nov. 20, 2012 10:45 pm

Plain and simple just BURN COAL :x Go outside with a few beers and burn everything else. Been there done that not worth the agrivation :oops:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”