My Trip to the Chubby Factory.. WOO HOO!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 10:49 am

Careful on your way to Tufts. Grafton police are relentless. Don't sneeze while driving, or have any smashed insects obstructing your vision! Check all firearms at the border, and have papers ready! :idea: :lol:

Your always welcome here too Fred - just have to give advance notice so we can excavate an extra chair out of my wife's junk pile here .... :D
Last edited by SMITTY on Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 10:50 am

Fred...Didn't you do the circuit as "Fedora Fred and His Fantastic Phallic Felines"? Wasn't that you? Fred....? Fred....?

We might need to move this thread to Flame Suit Central........

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 10:55 am

Nope, I was free-wheelin Fred out of Easy Rider. Your right, it's gettin close toothy

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 10:57 am

Ahhhhh... Now I remember....... :D

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 11:03 am

I need to go outside...this is going to new levels. Sorry Larry, for anything derogatory, it in NO WAY reflects your reputation, and the fine products you sell and service.

I guess I'll have to come home early and watch a couple episodes of Dr. Phil as see if I can get my mind right!!!!

I called him last night and all he said was: You need f***ing HELP!!!....whatever that means.

Save a table up front for Fred and I, OD!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 11:06 am

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Ahhhhh... Now I remember....... :D
:secret: .....I think I know what happened to that poor steer in front of the Hill Top restaurant. :shock:

kstone
Baseburners & Antiques: Andes 14 crown
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by kstone » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 4:49 pm

hmm I am just wondering if Larry can be talked into reproducing the plymouth 14 line I think the stoves where made in the building down on water street in plymouth around 1890 to 1905? they made a 9 up to 14

Attachments

2012-02-19_19-13-01_207.jpg

plymouth

.JPG | 95.5KB | 2012-02-19_19-13-01_207.jpg

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Awesome on hanging out with Mr.Trainer. Was going to say this thread is worthless without pics. But if Larry said no then I forgive you.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Nov. 13, 2012 6:23 pm

IOF

I wish I could post pics of what I saw but alas Larry asked me not to take photo's and discuss particulars. Trade secrects and I 100% respect that. I feel honored that Larry invited me down.

Keystone

I wish he would as well. Problem is tooling up to make or even remake a stove costs THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars. Even before 1 stove is sold. The wood molds alone for a firepot can be upwards of $10k. Let alone the cost of casting. UL testing isn't cheap either.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Considering the # of people that heated with coal at the turn of the century and beyond, it is freightening to think of the # of beautiful and efficient stoves that were destroyed and worse yet the # of stoves sitting idle sadly not doing their job. :(

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 2:29 pm

M.A.

Yes there are a lot of great old stoves out there. Stoves that could be put to work and saving their owners some serious coin over the oil or gas they continue to use. $300 for a ton of coal would save most people $1000 in heating costs. All for about 10 mins a day in "work" tending the stove. I think many people are just to darn LAZY and have had it too good for too long. Maybe this country needs a second "Great Depression" to wake people up out of their slumber? :idea:

Sadly some people seem to have a completely over inflated idea of what these stoves are worth. I see people routinely asking 100% restored prices for units that need a complete top to bottom restoration. Perhaps it is a "North East" thing as it seems almost everything up this way cost double what it should.

I have been in the market for a parlor or perhaps a base burner now for a while. As such I look online daily for them and I am no longer shocked by the amount of money many people seem to think their "antique half rusted burnt out and cracked Glenwood is worth. Most people seem to have a completely over inflated idea of what these stoves are worth. Perhaps it is a "North East" thing as it seems almost everything up this way cost double what it should. Perhaps it is the economy. Sooner or later the right stove will present itself. Could be a Craigslist find or a unit from Doug down at http://www.barnstablestove.com but I will purchase one. Question is when :?:
Last edited by ONEDOLLAR on Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 2:34 pm

A friend of mine calls that "Thinks everything they have is made from gold and die penniless" syndrome.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 4:07 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:M.A.

Yes there are a lot of great old stoves out there. Stoves that could be put to work and saving their owners some serious coin over the oil or gas they continue to use. $300 for a ton of coal would save most people $1000 in heating costs. All for about 10 mins a day in "work" tending the stove. I think many people are just to darn LAZY and have had it too good for too long. Maybe this country needs a second "Great Depression" to wake people up out of their slumber? :idea:

Sadly some people seem to have a completely over inflated idea of what these stoves are worth. I see people routinely asking 100% restored prices for units that need a complete top to bottom restoration. Perhaps it is a "North East" thing as it seems almost everything up this way cost double what it should.

I have been in the market for a parlor or perhaps a base burner now for a while. As such I look online daily for them and I am no longer shocked by the amount of money many people seem to think their "antique half rusted burnt out and cracked Glenwood is worth. Most people seem to have a completely over inflated idea of what these stoves are worth. Perhaps it is a "North East" thing as it seems almost everything up this way cost double what it should. Perhaps it is the economy. Sooner or later the right stove will present itself. Could be a Craigslist find or a unit from Doug down at http://www.barnstablestove.com but I will purchase one. Question is when :?:
It is worth the money to go ahead and get one that is restored. I watch on craigslist all of the time for stoves. I have seen a few that were worth the price asked for, but; I have been burned buying stoves without looking at them first. You must look at the stove and examine it completely before buying it. Otherwise, (even if you know what you are doing) you can be had. And yes, it's the same everywhere. If you want to buy something from some individual, what they have is priceless. If you want to sell, then what you have to sell is worthless. I can smell greed a mile away. These people can be greedy all by themselves.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Nov. 15, 2012 9:18 pm

All the last posts are real.
Buying an antique stove may be a nice experience for some and a nightmare for other ones. The price must be considered but the stove condition is probably the most important thing to consider. A stove may look to be expensive for someone but correct for the guy wanting that ""exact"" stove. Some models are easier than others to find...so prices are quite hard to compare... when wanting to buy a brand new car even with the same options, it could be surprising to be able to compare 2 cars exactly the same, always this or that ...so when time to find THE stove comes be prepared. For some buying from a well reputed antique shop can be the best buy, for some others buying somewhere else can be part of the Game as can be the restoration job... And finally buying a brand new stove is an other option.
So there is ""room"" for everybody :)

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Nov. 16, 2012 1:43 pm

wsherrick, nortcan
If the right stove, and mean the RIGHT stove would present itself on CL that stove would first head to Doug or Emery for a top to bottom rehab and chrome before it would ever see a fire at my house. Chances are I will pick one up at Barnstablestove.com . Doug has one now I have my eye on. Might run down next week for some hands and in person viewing. What I would like is Base Burner that can also handle Bit. As I do not plan to live in the North East forever and getting Anthracite out "west" can be problematic sometimes. Anyone have any suggestions for a good Parlor or Base Burner than can handle both? I am all ears. :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”