Cracked Glass

saragnac

Post by saragnac » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 4:31 pm

I just cracked the glass of my Harman TLC 2000 and I was wondering what thoughts there are about running the stove while I wait for the new glass to arrive. The crack goes horizontally all the way across. I can either order one online or go to a local glass place and have them cut one for me.

If I do end up finding something less expensive online than having one made but have to wait a week or so for delivery, does anyone think there is a safety risk in running the stove the way it is?

And if anyone knows of a site that has decent deals on door glass, feel free to share.

Thanks

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 4:34 pm

I vote for shutting down the stove and getting a local replacement. Any money you save by getting it online will be probably be burned up in heating oil while you wait for it to arrive.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 4:40 pm

As long as both pieces are firmly in place I see no reason to not run the stove.

saragnac

Post by saragnac » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 4:45 pm

I think I'm going to take your advice but with a twist. Since this stove is also a wood stove and can be burned in fireplace mode (door off with a screen) I should be okay to burn wood with the crack for tonight. I'll let it go out overnight and bring the door to the glass shop in the morning. The tempered high temp glass is not cheap, going to run me about $90.

Thanks

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 7:08 pm

You do know that the secondary air inlet on both sides, even when they are closed all the way are actually still open about ¼ of an inch or less. I see no reason why you can't keep it going until you get new glass if its only cracked. If you had pieces missing then I would say not to run it like that.

Thats my $.02 worth.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 9:47 pm

And if the WORST arrive who will be blamed for?
Everybody always say that a Co detector is a must for you protection but a broken glass is worst than having no Co alarm. No serious stove maker, wood or other fuel will tell you to keep on burning a stove having a broken glass. An open fire is not like a broken glass, if the glass broke , something made it happen and that can arrive a second time, but with a glass having a crack on it make the glass much more fragile if a second shock arrives.
But if the WORST should arrive, forget to mention the broken glass to your insurrance company...

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Harman Magnafire series hand fired stoves all have 2 large gaps at the top, and at the bottom of the glass. This cools the glass to limit crazing, and washes ash off the glass. It also provides over fire air. The TLC probably has this same setup. So if a giant corporation like Harman is selling stoves like this to thousands of people, running with a crack is not an issue.

Your perfectly safe running it the way it is.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Nov. 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Is it glass or ceramic? That will dictate local availability. He lives where they have to ship in sunshine :P

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 6:26 am

My Hitzer glass cracked vertically but was still tight. I bought a replacement from Hitzer for less $$ than from an on-line retailer. The Hitzer glass also came with a new gasket at no additional charge. When the glass came I got my tools all ready and put something heat resistant (can't remember what) on the floor, lifted the door off the stove changed the glass in just a few minutes and reinstalled the door (it just lifts off). I had my coal fire going the whole time.

Wood or coal stove with cracked glass in a very common thing to do. As long as the glass is not loose or otherwise threatening to fall out I would run it that way until I had my new glass in hand. I actualy kept my cracked glass as a backup in case my new glass got shattered to the point that I did have to change it immediately. :)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 6:34 am

Damn, when I first got my Hitzer, I replaced the glass & put the spidered old glass somewhere so I would have a spare. I know I put it somewhere obvious so I could get to it if needed. Now with all this talk--I think today, I'm going to have to do a house search & try to remember just where that OBVIOUS place might be! :clap: toothy Damn brain cells keep dieing off me thinks ;)

EasyRay

Post by EasyRay » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 10:51 am

After I bought my TLC 2000 I also bought the whole door replacement the following year. It came with glass,gasket,handle and pins. So I have a complete spare door. I just have to pop the two pins and replace the door. ;)

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 10:59 am

I've given up looking for the blue ladies, then the orange glow, then the faint orange glow, then the cracked glass, then the big bill for new glass, then the blue ladies, then the orange glow etc. Do what I just did, for my Poconos (LL) buy two pieces of steel from LL and be done with that nonsense, it's a heating device for christs sake. Spend the day gazing at ashcats great videos on youtube - sigh.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 11:10 am

Steel door for the stove, blue flame screen saver for the computer...

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Steel door for the stove, blue flame screen saver for the computer...
There ya go, problem solved.

EasyRay

Post by EasyRay » Fri. Nov. 09, 2012 12:05 pm

This is my 6th season with this stove and no cracked glass yet. My wife likes it this way sooooo guess what....No steel insert for me. I like it to. :lol:
My other stove I had since the mid seventies and still had the same Mica windows when it was replaced by this one. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”