Burning Coal in STEREO!!

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Fri. Dec. 07, 2007 4:57 pm

The folks who attended the fall mine tour in PA and the dinner afterwards may remember me speaking about hooking up 2 Franco Belge stoves side-by-side and running them into the fireplace chimney. I've had them both hooked up but have only been burning the stove closest to the chimney, until last night.

At the dinner discussion, there was some concern over how the exhaust from one stove might interfere with the draft for the second stove.The consensus was that the stove farthest from the chimney would not get the needed draft to burn properly.

Well, last night I decided to give it a try; and IT WORKS!! Both stoves are humming along nicely with stove temps of 250 -275 degrees F.
The manometer is at a steady .03 to .05. Both stoves are running at relatively low burn rates so I should be getting complete combustion and use a little less coal while getting more heat. My living room is 75 degrees and I'm thinking about turning the air inflow down a bit to lower the house temp a bit.

I'll try to post a photo when I can get my hands on a digital camera.

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Fri. Dec. 07, 2007 8:31 pm

Your a mad scientist of sorts aren't ya ?

JerseyCoal

Post by JerseyCoal » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 12:46 am

I'm not a scientist but, the first part is on target.

Greyhound
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Post by Greyhound » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 1:09 am

I'm glad to hear that it appears to working out for you, I will have to admit that I wasn't sure it would work either. ;)

nwaelder
Verified Business Rep.

Post by nwaelder » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 10:40 am

I'd like to see some pictures too.
Regards, Neil

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 4:30 pm

Great idea! Back when I was burning wood, with a hard-to-regulate stove, I often thought it would be good to have smaller, twin stoves so I could fire up the second one only when needed. Unlike you I was never brave enough to try it.

JerseyCoal

Post by JerseyCoal » Sun. Dec. 09, 2007 12:00 am

I have enough parts in the garage to build another stove. Next year I might try for the hattrick.

JerseyCoal

Post by JerseyCoal » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 2:51 pm

The temperatures have been relatively mild lately so this might not be a useful observation but, with both stoves running at low settings, I am getting plenty of heat, longer burns, and more thorough burns. The ash is mostly a fine powder with very few chunks and even fewer pieces of unburned coal. I'm sure that I'm burning as much coal as before however, the house is considerably warmer.

I don't always look forward to shaking down two stoves and dumping two ashpans. When the weather gets really cold, I won't mind it so much.

JiminBucks

Post by JiminBucks » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 3:35 pm

Interesting, my current setup is like Dualing Stoves. Like a good stereo setup, I have my stoves seperated; the F/B at the end hooked into the Fireplace, and the EFEL located in the center of the house. I have been burning the F/B during the week and switching to the EFEL on the weekends. Both when it got into the teens. Nice to clean up and have one realdy to fireup, as the other is peteing out!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”