1st Coal Fire of the Season...

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 7:23 pm

As I have been burning wood for weeks now, did I ever mention how much I hate burning wood. Finally cold enough to go to coal. YES!!, only have to check the stove twice a day instead of the every 4 hours of adding more and more wood.

As I was getting the fire going, I thought to myself I haven't been on this website lately. Well, a big welcome to everyone!

Dan

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Good to hear from ya Dan. Yep, another burning season begins :)

63roundbadge

Post by 63roundbadge » Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 8:46 pm

Same here, haven't been back to the forum since last season. We just got power back last night, the Alaska Kodiak kept us comfortable while barely even breaking a sweat! 25 lbs. of coal every 2 days, emptying the ashes every 3 days. I only shake it once every 24 hours. MPD closed all the way, baro above it and clunking away on a windy day. I've learned if I want it to run cooler, I don't disturb the corners in ash and only shake the grate. When I need more BTUs, I poke the corners and allow the bed to be all burning coal. That seems to double the output.

I'll burn 2-3 tons this year depending on the severity, and hopefully less than 200 gallons of oil. With a 30 gallon electric water heater, I think I have optimized my needs for heat. I've found that the water heater only costs me $20 per month for 2 or 3 persons hot water depending if a daughter visits for the weekend and does laundry.

Ok, enough off-topic. HAPPY HEATING TO ALL!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 9:04 pm

A Kodiak is one hell of a stove. I imagine it would keep you warm in any weather.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 9:27 pm

rb, how come you're speculating 200 gal. of oil with that stove?--She's quite the heat machine. I hear that daughter thing. ;)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 10:20 pm

welcome back Dan. I take it your stove is "ambidextrous"? (Wood and coal?). Or do you have 2 different stoves? I envy the "quick start" heat the wood provides, (seeing I don't have that option), but the long burn and heat from the coal has its benefits. Just started my stove this weekend, cause the temps are dipping below freezing, (and I just wanted to play...it's still new to me). Happy "alternate "heating" you guys. PS. 25lbs in 2 days!? where am I going wrong?

Davian

Post by Davian » Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Yeah, I fired mine up with coal yesterday for the first full burn of the year. Its nice and warm now thanks to it. No more wood burning for a while.

63roundbadge

Post by 63roundbadge » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 7:56 pm

freetown fred wrote:rb, how come you're speculating 200 gal. of oil with that stove?--She's quite the heat machine. I hear that daughter thing. ;)
House is a 62' x 48' ranch, stove is pretty much dead center. Oil heat is 3 zones, comes on for an hour on cold mornings. Hopefully I'll use less than 200 gallons.
Since I added those heatsinks on the stove last year, it is so much more efficient. The MPD stays fully closed whereas I had to have it open before for same output.

I LOVE THIS STOVE!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 8:10 pm

I bet the heatsinks will make a big difference oil consumption wise. :)

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Sat. Nov. 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Joeq, no the good ole Gilbrater can burn both wood and coal. Wood is a nice quick way of getting a fire going, but the adding wood every 4 hours is a pain in the butt, but it is nice to warm up the house and let the fire burn out over night and only have a few wood ashes left.

I enjoy the coal burning a lot more, twice a day, shake, dump and add. Simple...

Dan

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”