Installing Vigilant II

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
RIArmySGT
Stove/Furnace Make: Vermont Casting
Stove/Furnace Model: Vigilant II

Post Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 1:49 pm

So I just bought a new Vermont Casting Vigilant II. I am having it installed in my basement. The area I am having it installed is also an area I plan on finishing into a fam/hang out room, Wii parties ect lol. I wanted to put some type of tile under the stove an carpet in the rest of the area. Reading threw the manual it tells me I need a safe distance of 48" of combustible. That seems a lot to me. Should I do carpet? Any input would be great. Thanks guys
“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 1:58 pm

put a brick hearth under the stove 4 ft sq then carpet to the brick use paver brick they are solid no holes ...u will need 72 bricks ,half bag mortar mix type s .and 130 lbs sand...

Visit Hitzer Stoves

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Fri. Nov. 02, 2012 2:19 pm

For what it's worth-- Being careful with ash disposal & a good dose of common sense work pretty well. Safety is always a priority :) Damn, after lookin at that pix, I guess I'd best mop that hearth before our code guy comes for coffee & yells at me :clap: toothy Stove's been going for about a month now. There, that 2nd pix is way more civilized ;)
Attachments
003.JPG
005.JPG
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”