Mantel Advice

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 9:01 pm

DSCF0031.jpg
.JPG | 97.4KB | DSCF0031.jpg
Gentlemen, (people?)
Still trying to finish my coal stove install, and if you can make out my brick veneer behind my stove,(appologize for the pic quality), I'ld like some "opinions" on a possible mantel. I mounted my Surdiac per NFPA reduced clearance recommendations to 1' away from wall and the top of the brick wall is almost 3' above the back of the stove. I've been storing an 8 quarter piece of chestnut (1'x7') for yrs, and think it would make a nice mantel to cap off the top of the wall, (leaving an air gap). My concern is if the heat will necessitate an (esthetically inferior) deflector below it. Also was thinking of trimming the sides with possibly some chestnut pilasters (stiles?) on each side, but the heat shouldn't be a concern due to the similar distances.. Just looking for opinions. Has anyone used a free standing stove with a mantel above at these clearances. Any pic, advice, or opinions are appreciated. Thanx.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 9:25 pm

with the stove being 1' in front and the mantel being 3'above,your well away from 18" combustibles.might want to place a therometer where the mantel will be to see just how hot it will be there

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 9:34 pm

whenever I installed a mantle above a UL listed device it would have the clearances in writing and on a metal tag permanently attached to the device. All I can tell you is the further the mantel sticks out the higher is has to be. Sounds like you are way high so it shouldn't be a problem. Just pay attention to temps when it is running hard and maybe post another pic showing the whole install and the position of the mantle.

Kevin

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 30, 2012 10:09 pm

You'll be fine--are you going to mount the mantel 2' above the stove? Chestnut's real pretty grain wise ;) ---mini version of what I think you're talkin about for supports ;)

Attachments

002.JPG
.JPG | 43.1KB | 002.JPG

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 6:58 pm

The mantel could be almost 3' above and not "directly" above it but slightly behind. I know last yr, above my brick wall, where the top ends and my Sheetrock begins, the wallboard got relatively hot to the touch.I'm guessing here, but wouldn't surprise me if it was 130-140 degrees. a buddy of mine says I'm making more out of it than I should. Says his father had a big coal/wood stove in the basement of their old farmhouse for 30-40 yrs, and the floors/ceiling above (no shield) used to get very hot, and never had a problem. but I know 2 wrongs don't make a right.
I like those supports Fred, but was thinking of using wrought iron seeing I've got a lot of that style in my room, and would also think would withstand the heat better than the wood. Being the mantel will be almost 7' long, was planning on using a support in the middle also. I'll try and get some better pics this weekend. Thanx again men. Joe

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 7:07 pm

Me thinks your buddy is right, and remember--if you're using wrought--I suspect at least 2" width & at least 1/4 thick--they will seriously help distribute the heat real nicely ;)

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 7:27 pm

thanx Fred, but I was planning on insulating the iron brackets from the wood with Asbestos. Know where I can pick up some strips? :roll:

jim d

Post by jim d » Wed. Oct. 31, 2012 11:15 pm

wait a minit and i'lll cough some up

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 12:09 am

LOL. If you could muster it, they need to be 1" 1/2X 12" approx. (3 of them). Don't hurt yourself if you can't. If you do, can you run them over to my niece and her husband please. They're buying my belated aunt and uncles house off Buffington St, which is off 44. Thanx.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 7:10 am

Joey, ya familiar with the concept of over-kill?? I know that my main concern with anything to do with my stove is safety oriented--BUT--yep, always that "BUT" ;)

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 11:04 am

I hear what you're saying Fred, and to you and all responders, thanx for your input. As I've mentioned above, I'm new to this area of "alternate heating", and joined NEPA knowing some of you have a lifetime of experience with this subject, and to me it means more than I'ld believe coming from a book, where someone elses opinion is simply to benefit them "financially". Now if everyone agrees, (after I post some better pics), that my mantel should be safe enuff, I'll be sending out a disclaimer or contract for everyone to sign, so I can send it in to my insurance company. ( ;) ...bad joke)

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 11:13 am

Now if everyone agrees, (after I post some better pics), that my mantel should be safe enuff, I'll be sending out a disclaimer or contract for everyone to sign, so I can send it in to my insurance company. ( ;) ...bad joke)[/quote]

:lol: Now thats funny. ;)

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Joe, I think with that 3' clearance, you insurance co. shouldn't be concerned at all. Bad joke & all ;)

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 4:26 pm

OK Guys, thanx again. And FMI (for my "own" info, I'll put a thermometer on the wall above (for curiosities sake) and see how hot that surface gets, and give it a post. I said before, the surface temp. last yr when I put my hand on the wall, it felt to be about 130-140. Now that I think of it, my hot water heater runs that, and I know I don't like putting my hand under my hot water, (dishwashers and all). So maybe 110-120? Time will tell.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”