Can Anyone Identify My Florence Hot Blast..??

echos67

Post by echos67 » Thu. Oct. 18, 2012 11:03 pm

A lot of the fun I have is the refurbish of a stove, (just don't tell my wife I think it's fun as I tell her it's a lot of work).

1) I am using Rutlands Gasket and Stove Cement in the tube that goes in the caulking gun and it is pretty thick so maybe it is the heavy type

2) As for brands I don't think there is actually a lot of them to choose from, case in point I am a fan of "Williams Stove Polish" and I just noticed on a tube this week it said Rutland. Just try to match the temp as high as you can get it, the above I use is 2k if I remember correctly.

3) I use two layers myself but what I do is a bead on each of the parts with fiberglass gasket between them. (Norification)

4) Snug the hardware and after the first couple fires heat the cast and it cools go back and recheck.

5) Lining a fire pot requires currying unless it sits over an extended period like the summer, but the seams I have not seen a need to cure it dries pretty quickly. A small fire to cure the polish or paint is a good idea and keep the windows open if done inside.

Hope this helps and don't forget to replace the old hardware (nuts, bolts, washers)

DJ54

Post by DJ54 » Fri. Oct. 19, 2012 7:23 am

I'll probably go with the knife grade cement. And that was one question that escaped me last night, when I posted. How much cement does it take to do a stove? Seems a quart may do it, but be a bit shy. And a half gallon seems too much. And what is the shelf life, once opened..??

We have a great industrial supply in town, so the stove bolts won't be a problem. Just need to get some out, so as to take along for sizing.

Going after my chimney pipe today. At least it will be where I can work on it when the time, and weather is right. May get the pad poured for it this weekend, or first of the week.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Oct. 19, 2012 7:31 am

DJ54 wrote:I'll probably go with the knife grade cement. And that was one question that escaped me last night, when I posted. How much cement does it take to do a stove? Seems a quart may do it, but be a bit shy. And a half gallon seems too much. And what is the shelf life, once opened..??

We have a great industrial supply in town, so the stove bolts won't be a problem. Just need to get some out, so as to take along for sizing.

Going after my chimney pipe today. At least it will be where I can work on it when the time, and weather is right. May get the pad poured for it this weekend, or first of the week.
The cement has a long shelf life plus you can put a little bit of water over the cement (in the container :) ) when you have finished and don't re-use it for a while.

DJ54

Post by DJ54 » Fri. Oct. 19, 2012 7:52 am

Thanks..!! That's what I wanted to hear..!! :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”