Modifying a Pot Bellied Stove

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Mon. Oct. 29, 2012 6:59 am

Did you post those dimensions correctly? 12 inch diameter pipe cut in two 8 inch lengths, then the two sections cut in half and stood up inside your stove? Could you snap a pic of this please?

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Oct. 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Not quite, just one 12" diameter pipe, 1/2 inch in thickness, cut 8 inches long, and then split into two pieces lengthwise (to be able to get it in the stove).

I'll post a picture when I can.

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 8:31 am

Here is the photo I promised you regarding the steel pipe I cut and fit inside my stove. It has been inside this stove for 10-12 years so it is time proven and does not affect the stoves ability to heat a home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75671532@N00/8144454944/

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 10:12 am

Ahh, now it makes sense. You lined the firebox area with a steel sleeve instead of a refractory sleeve. You lucked onto an easier way than cutting 1/4 inch plate and bending it to fit. It burns up and no hasell to get it out and new one in. don't have to disassemble the stove, mix refractory goop and making a form. Nice engineering!!

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Nov. 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Sorry about the confusion my friend, it was not intentional.

McNair
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Cannon Heater
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: LP

Post by McNair » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 10:47 pm

I know this is a ancient thread, but the way to shake down the Vogel Cannon Heater is to do it through the ash door. You get a poker with a 90 bend on it, and put the 90 through the leg of the dump grate from underneath. Then you can get about 90 degrees or more of rotation on the entire grate.

I use a DeWalt battery operated vacuum with a crevice end to keep dust out of my house. I put the vacuum on the left side, beside the ash pan. It stays in place and I don't need three hands.

I use the DeWalt because it would be rather easy to toss it out of a window if it were to catch fire.

McNair
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Cannon Heater
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: LP

Post by McNair » Sun. Dec. 12, 2021 11:38 pm

I've had my Vogelzang go 14 weeks without a cleanout. That's not something to crow about, but it is a fact. Deal with making the underfire air-tight, with gaskets and whatnot. Then deal with the shake. I closed off the shake flap with fireproof wool and a screw tapped into the body of the burner.

Another thing... the slider. Screw that noise. I did fireproof wool to seal up the "slider", too. I just unscrew the "slider" by quarters and halves and let in under-air. I don't move the slider.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”