DS Machine Quality Control

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Oct. 04, 2018 9:28 pm

As a D.S. owner/user , all I can say is
WOW.

Dam TOTP.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Oct. 04, 2018 9:38 pm

I assume they meant the horse drawn forklifts. Their cell phones use coal.
rberq wrote:
Sun. Oct. 14, 2012 4:49 pm
Not only telephones, but forklifts too :!: :?: They might as well be Mennonites like my grandparents!
I bought directly from DS Machines.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Thu. Oct. 04, 2018 9:49 pm

You reminded me of a skillet I have known as the Monday Morning skillet. If you hold a cast iron skillet by the handle in your hand and look at the bottom, it usually tells you who made it and where (sometimes in symbols). I have one that says, "Birmingham Stove and Range" but the writing is upside down. The cast for that model was inverted, and nobody noticed until it was in production. The owner of the company later said the man who made the cast came in Monday morning after a weekend bender. They are highly collectible--so much so that there are fakes out there, and the copies do not have sharp, clear letters.
rberq wrote:
Thu. Dec. 12, 2013 8:37 am
Maybe mine was assembled on a Friday afternoon just before quitting time. :(

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 11:28 am

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Oct. 04, 2018 8:18 pm
the issue at hand is that the 1300 is a very poorly laid out stove because of the use of "stock" parts. if it had had a properly reduced and located hopper to start with it would have been fine.
Yep. I think you have diagnosed it precisely right. If the hopper were “right” it would be an excellent stove.
KingCoal wrote:
now you have the front retainer pulling away from the secondary air tube at the front because the former remedies forced the coal from the hopper to flow and settle more toward the front of the fire box and burn against those surfaces too and compromise them.
The rear hopper extension doesn’t really affect where the coal settles in front. I think the front retainer degradation was there all along. I just didn’t see it because it is not easily visible. I have made a “shell” out of lightweight steel to wrap around the secondary air tube and the front retainer, and we’ll see how that goes this season. The shell will no doubt have to be replaced yearly, but that’s very easy to do. It is drilled for the air holes, and held in place by a couple bolts dropped loosely into two of the holes.
KingCoal wrote:
bought a replacement [glass] last week. it came with the new rope gasket, new bolts and instructions, so at light up time i'll be dealing with that.
I used the thinnest readily-available gasket between the glass and the clamps, no gasket between the door and the glass. Fiberglass gasket rapidly compresses, so even though I snugged down the clamp bolts at installation, within a day the bolts felt much less snug, so I don’t think they are putting much stress on the glass at all.
stove 001.JPG
.JPG | 398.4KB | stove 001.JPG

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”