Do You Know If

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
Post Reply
User avatar
nortcan
Member
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat. Feb. 20, 2010 3:32 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride
Location: Qc Canada

Post Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 11:56 am

Do you know if there is a special reason to have the upper barrel made smaller than the lower part?
On the last photo we can see the upper covection chamber around the top barrel.
Attachments
DSC05116.JPG
Lower section
DSC05123.JPG
Smaller top barrel
DSC05125.JPG
DSC05127.JPG
Convection chamber

User avatar
stovepipemike
Member
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sun. Jun. 15, 2008 11:53 am
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KAA-2
Location: Morgantown ,Penna

Post Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Wowser,That stove is magnificent.I don't know where you are digging them up from but can I borrow your kucky shovel? I can't comment on the design but it would be interesting to know the internal flue path for sure. great stove!! Mike

User avatar
Tim
Member
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed. Apr. 15, 2009 8:49 am
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Oak #30
Location: Grampian, PA

Post Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Could it have been an experiment in desighn vrs. function?....back then the stove makers were always tryin to build a "better mousetrap" as they say to be competitive in the market place wich resulted in the sometimes ODD looking shapes of particular stoves .....back in the day the salesman needed a new product every yr. to get out and SELL$$$...unique desighns and something different was there PLAYING CARD.
I may be all wet, I am sure William will chime in with more information.
Tim

Visit Hitzer Stoves

PJT
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri. Jan. 06, 2012 11:11 pm
Baseburners & Antiques: Magee Royal Oak; Glenwood Modern Oak 116
Other Heating: propane
Location: South Central CT

Post Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 2:19 pm

venturi effect???? you would think it hardly necessary...

what model stove is that Nortcan? absolutely beautiful!!!! looks brand new! is it entirely cast iron or is there sheet metal in there somewhere?

User avatar
nortcan
Member
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat. Feb. 20, 2010 3:32 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride
Location: Qc Canada

Post Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 2:59 pm

stovepipemike wrote:Wowser,That stove is magnificent.I don't know where you are digging them up from but can I borrow your kucky shovel? I can't comment on the design but it would be interesting to know the internal flue path for sure. great stove!! Mike
Thanks stovepipemike. I only digged in USA :D
The flue path is really interesting in that stove. I will take some time later to explain it in details. The convection path is also well made.

User avatar
nortcan
Member
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat. Feb. 20, 2010 3:32 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride
Location: Qc Canada

Post Sun. Oct. 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Tim wrote:Could it have been an experiment in desighn vrs. function?....back then the stove makers were always tryin to build a "better mousetrap" as they say to be competitive in the market place wich resulted in the sometimes ODD looking shapes of particular stoves .....back in the day the salesman needed a new product every yr. to get out and SELL$$$...unique desighns and something different was there PLAYING CARD.
I may be all wet, I am sure William will chime in with more information.
Tim
Yes, could be one good answer, but as you know they were very ingenious at that time so are there other reasons :?:

Visit Hitzer Stoves

User avatar
SteveZee
Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed. May. 11, 2011 10:45 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range
Location: Downeast , Maine

Post Thu. Oct. 11, 2012 10:02 am

PJT wrote:venturi effect???? you would think it hardly necessary...

what model stove is that Nortcan? absolutely beautiful!!!! looks brand new! is it entirely cast iron or is there sheet metal in there somewhere?
That's my guess too PJT. Good old Bernoulie.

User avatar
nortcan
Member
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat. Feb. 20, 2010 3:32 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride
Location: Qc Canada

Post Thu. Oct. 11, 2012 9:46 pm

PJT wrote:venturi effect???? you would think it hardly necessary...

what model stove is that Nortcan? absolutely beautiful!!!! looks brand new! is it entirely cast iron or is there sheet metal in there somewhere?
Yes maybe a sort of venturi effect :idea: . That can make sense. It seems to be to ""compress"" the gases before releasing them just like aventuri does.
These stoves are called Baltimore Heater. They were developped in Baltimore and it's one reason why they are reffered to that place.
Most of the stove is cast iron excepted the 2 base burner mode pipes and the rear shields. The stove should be around 425 pounds cause about the same as the Vig ll.
Yes almost new from 1874 :)
Attachments
DSC04720.JPG

Post Reply

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”