Need Some Info

echos67

Post by echos67 » Thu. Sep. 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Hello everyone, I am back on the forums after the long miserable tropical style humidity filled summer. I am looking for some information and if anyone could help it is much appreciated.

First off I need some of the good liner material that is like clay that you pound or ram in to line your fire pot. So far I called Emory at the Stove Hospital and left a message but no return call yet, (probably busy with the mountain of stoves he has lol) I got ahold of Barnstable and they don't ship out. If anyone has some to sell and will ship it or has contact info for a place that sells and ships it let me know please.

Next is the replanting of nickel, I asked when talking to Barnstable and was told the plating company he uses is relocating and not doing it right now, ok so here again if anyone has a recommendation for a company that does quality plating I could use the contact information. I am not opposed to paying for the quality as I would rather have it done correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help, and it's great to see all the new stove restorations that took place and are still in the works.
Keith

Vampiro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson S260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: #45 BAD HWH
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk1
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, Pea Coal
Other Heating: POS gas boiler

Post by Vampiro » Thu. Sep. 27, 2012 11:30 pm

I ordered some 3,000 degree refractory clay from these folks in the link below. It worked well for me, and is a good product. They do not seem to have the 3000 degree clay listed that I purchased, but have the 3000 degree castable powder available in 10lb bags. You could contact them and see if they have the clay available if you don't feel like mixing the powder and water.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Best of luck with your stove.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 12:56 am

I would ask a shop in the area that restores cars. Any antique car dealer will know where you can get nickle plating done.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 9:13 am

Keith,

Emory will sell you some. Your right that he's flat out right now doing stoves but I'd keep calling till you get him. The problem is the stuff is so heavy. He'll know approximately how much you need though and that will cut the price down some. I bought a small box the size of a car battery box and it was 50 lbs! I did both the cookstove and the 116 with it so I'm sure that 25lbs is probably enough but again Emory will know. He gets it by the ton. The shipping will be as much as the product. I picked mine up from the Love Barn and paid something like $40 for the box.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Thank you Gentlemen,

Vampiro I like the idea of mixing it with water to whatever consistency works best for the application, I think I will give it a try. I will probably order it this weekend, thanks for the link.

Hello Uncle William, hope your doing well.

Thanks Steve, I will also look into that stove place.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Sep. 29, 2012 8:12 am

Keith,

Just FYI but the powder stuff you mix up with water is meant to pour into a mold that you make with cardboard or whatever. The mix is specific to consistency meaning it's not meant to mix "thick" so you can handle it like the other stuff. Just saying.

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sat. Sep. 29, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks Steve, you read my thoughts as I was thinking I would try it mixed very thick.

Another call to Emory this am yeiled a direction I can go for local pick up, he suggested trying any place that does boiler repair and it is rated at 3000*. He did give me the name of the replating company and like Barnstable told me they are relocating and may be back up and running in a couple weeks.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Sep. 29, 2012 9:20 am

Good going Keith.

That's a good bet you'll find the stuff where he said. They call it ramming fluid although there nothing really "fluid" about it! Mine is called Noxram made by Nock and Son company of Cleveland, Ohio. You might be able to find out from them who might have it im your area too?

echos67

Post by echos67 » Sun. Sep. 30, 2012 7:26 pm

I found a large plumbing supply house that says they have a 3000* product called "Hercules Boiler Cement". They closed at noon on Saturday and I did not have the free time in the am to go get some so I will make it a priority to grab some this week.

Thanks for the info Steve, if this stuff isn't what I am looking for I will get ahold of the Nock and Son Company next.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”