New to Coal and Just Bought My First Stove

ChubbyChick

Post by ChubbyChick » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 4:48 pm

It's a chubby :) I have a lot of work to do though before I can install it. Need to cut out some drywall to access the flue, figure out what it will sit on and what kind of pipe to use. I'm very excited to try anthracite this winter and I hope it works out ok.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Welcome to the best coal forum around! I hear the Chubby stoves are very well liked. Plenty of guys here will be more than willing to answer all your questions!

I've learned so much here about how to keep my hand-fired stove going!

half-pint
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove Hotblast 2500
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Stove sized Anthracite / WV Bituminous

Post by half-pint » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. I have been burning coal a few years and I must say it is a great way to heat your home. I'm sure you will enjoy this forum. I have learned so much from the people here. It doesn't matter what the question is you can get an answer here. There is always someone who has been in a similar situation and everyone here is always more than willing to help. No worries we'll all be here to guide you through getting set-up and ready to go.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Hello ChubbyChick, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here so no worries. This forum has helped me out tremendously. I've been burning with a Coal Chubby Sr. for several years now. I love this stove. Simple to use with generous heat output. Better get cracking, winters around the corner. Good luck!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Welcome to the forum CC. You will love your stove and burn anthracite :!:

mason coal burner

Post by mason coal burner » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forum and saving lots of money . You will love the heat .

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 9:10 pm

mason coal burner wrote:Welcome to the forum and saving lots of money . You will love the heat .
I agree!! Welcome. :)

ChubbyChick

Post by ChubbyChick » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Thank you for the welcome! I know I need to get crackin' the change in temp is already noticeable and I hear it will be a cold winter. Hopefully it will not take too much time and money to get installed. I did have the opportunity to speak with Larry yesterday and am thinking I would like for him to recondition the chub before winter arrives.

I have a double flue, tile lined masonry chimney. About 30 years old. The previous homeowner never utilized the stove flue. So hopefully the chimney is all set.

Not having much luck posting the chub's picture, I will try from a desktop tomorrow.

Thanks again, I very much appreciate the vast information available here!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Sep. 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Congrats and welcome. Nice to hear another mainah has joined, hope the manometer, co2 detector, and barometric damper ( personal choice on this one ), are on order. Now the fun part, I have found a sea of information on this forum. And yes it is like a buffet, I'm still reading and learning good luck with the pic's.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Sep. 12, 2012 8:17 am

ChubbyChick wrote:Thank you for the welcome! I know I need to get crackin' the change in temp is already noticeable and I hear it will be a cold winter. Hopefully it will not take too much time and money to get installed. I did have the opportunity to speak with Larry yesterday and am thinking I would like for him to recondition the chub before winter arrives.

I have a double flue, tile lined masonry chimney. About 30 years old. The previous homeowner never utilized the stove flue. So hopefully the chimney is all set.

Not having much luck posting the chub's picture, I will try from a desktop tomorrow.

Thanks again, I very much appreciate the vast information available here!
Welcome to another Mainiac making the switch to coal. Most folks up here think I'm nuts but thats ok. I've learned to shut up about the benifits and keep the prices down. ;) "Let them eat pellets" is my rally cry. Forget what you know about wood and take the advise offered and you'll be fine. The Chubby is a popular stove. No need for a stainless liner in your flue also so don't let anyone sell you one of those. A tile lined masonry chimney is best!

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. Sep. 12, 2012 8:26 am

CC

Welcome to the "Cult of the Chubby" and to NEPA! You are going to LOVE your Chubby and Larry is a great guy and will help you any way he can as well. Chubby's are idiot proof to operate and I am a prime living example. 8-)

As others have said if you have a question.. ASK IT! People on this site are true salt of the earth. A nicer group would be hard to find.

Ciao!

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Wed. Sep. 12, 2012 8:43 am

welcome just remember the only dumb question is the one you dont/afrayid to ask.....

ChubbyChick

Post by ChubbyChick » Wed. Sep. 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Thank you all again, I will no doubt have many questions in the weeks to come. In the meantime, here is a pic. Do you think reconditioning is necessary this first season?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Wed. Sep. 12, 2012 3:08 pm

CC

It wouldn't hurt to have Larry at Chubby work his magic on her. When he is done she will look like new.

If you can swing it get that Chubby down to Larry and get her ready to go. Larry will replace all the gaskets, new mica in the window, sandblast her and paint her. As well as put new nuts and bolts if needed.

Here is the link if you need it...
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

ChubbyChick

Post by ChubbyChick » Wed. Sep. 12, 2012 3:14 pm

I did talk to Larry on Monday. He said I should get my install done first. Or maybe I misunderstood?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”