It's Almost Time My Heaty Brothers and Sisters...

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Wed. Sep. 19, 2012 7:20 am

It was never not time here, Summer was a joke.

It must be nice living in the tropics like ya'll. :)

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Sep. 19, 2012 5:07 pm

How goes it up there Kie, The H250 working out well for you on the lig coal?

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Thu. Sep. 20, 2012 12:22 pm

Yeah. How does it go my fellow SF-250 friend. Has the temps been dropping to coal weather?

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 1:13 pm

I just ordered a dozen coal mice from Downeast Coal for $ 17.00 dollars which included shipping. I also ordered a manometer directly from Dwyer which should be interesting. I'm certainly more prepared than last year!

Body Hammer
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Petit Godin oval

Post by Body Hammer » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Where abouts are you at? It doesn't say.
EarthWindandFire wrote:I just ordered a dozen coal mice from Downeast Coal for $ 17.00 dollars which included shipping. I also ordered a manometer directly from Dwyer which should be interesting. I'm certainly more prepared than last year!

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 2:12 pm

The awful state of Connecticut!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 2:16 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:I just ordered a dozen coal mice from Downeast Coal for $ 17.00 dollars which included shipping. I also ordered a manometer directly from Dwyer which should be interesting. I'm certainly more prepared than last year!
How are you doing on that Hitzer installation?

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 2:30 pm

I have all of the parts ready to go for the Hitzer. According to the weather report, Monday night should drop to 40 degrees so I plan on lighting a wood fire to test her out. My guess is that she's not very air-tight and will need a roll of rope gasket to seal up the doors. I'm not expecting miracles with either the LL or the Hitzer, even if I burn them together, I learned my lesson last year and I'm just biding my time till I can purchase the right furnace or boiler.

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 2:39 pm

SteveZee wrote:How goes it up there Kie, The H250 working out well for you on the lig coal?
Hi Steve, Hi Vin!

I hope you all had a nice summer.

We had a really cool summer, never went through a day without at least one hod to kill the morning chill.

The TLC with the Magic Fingers is upstairs and working out amazingly, the Magic Fingers gave us the little extra kick we needed to get heat all over the house.

And our SF250 'The Bruiser' is always up to the task of killing any chill, she's a monster - I'd swear you could smelt steel with her!

And Steve, I'll have you know that we do NOT burn LIGNITE. Geeze, what kind of hicks do you think we are - we have some of the finest Sub-Bit in the world!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Vinmaker

Post by Vinmaker » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 7:28 pm

I was curious what you burn up there in Alaska. Anthracite comes from PA and your a bit far to truck it up there. SO I was curious of your coal. It is Sub-bit? Where is it mined? Canada or Alaska?

Vin.

P.s. I had a fairly warm winter last year and had my SF-250 throttled down with filler bricks. I am hoping for a really cold snap so I can test her out. That is the reason I upgraded. I wanted a bit more BTU on the high end.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Fri. Sep. 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi All,

I am ready to fire up the Hitzer. I requested another 4 tons of nut from Mr Rockhill about 4 months ago. He said he was putting his hi-lift dump box on another truck so it would be a while. I better give him a call again soon. Too bad to have missed getting it delivered durring the dry summer months when the ground is hard. He has to back a ways into the yard to get to the cellar window. I have enough coal for this winter but I like to be well stocked up. Just a security thing don't you know. :)

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post by Bruce M » Sat. Sep. 22, 2012 12:56 am

" Just a security thing don't you know. "

Yeah I do know what you mean. As I gander over the 12 tons in my basement I get warm fuzzys and a relaxed state of mind on how I will afford heating costs for the comming winter, or the next three for that matter :D

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Sep. 22, 2012 8:18 am

Kielanders wrote:
SteveZee wrote:How goes it up there Kie, The H250 working out well for you on the lig coal?
Hi Steve, Hi Vin!

I hope you all had a nice summer.

We had a really cool summer, never went through a day without at least one hod to kill the morning chill.

The TLC with the Magic Fingers is upstairs and working out amazingly, the Magic Fingers gave us the little extra kick we needed to get heat all over the house.

And our SF250 'The Bruiser' is always up to the task of killing any chill, she's a monster - I'd swear you could smelt steel with her!

And Steve, I'll have you know that we do NOT burn LIGNITE. Geeze, what kind of hicks do you think we are - we have some of the finest Sub-Bit in the world!

Hope everyone is doing well.
Beg pardon Kie ;-) How could I make such a faux! Glad to hear that MF box has worked out well for you. Sounds like you've got it all covered. If you get a chance, check out my "new" Glenwood MO116. Restoration this summer and ready to rock as roll. Should heat the house by itself for most of the season with the cookstove added in the dead of it. We had a terrific summer here on the Maine coast. Actually got some good tomatoes! (The standard by which I judge summers);-). Won't be long now, maybe a month and the match will be struck.
By the way, any info on that big anthracite deposit they found up your way?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Sep. 22, 2012 8:14 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:The awful state of Connecticut!
I don't think its "awful" .. it "sucks"

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Sun. Sep. 23, 2012 1:32 am

SteveZee wrote:
Kielanders wrote: Beg pardon Kie ;-) How could I make such a faux! Glad to hear that MF box has worked out well for you. Sounds like you've got it all covered. If you get a chance, check out my "new" Glenwood MO116. Restoration this summer and ready to rock as roll. Should heat the house by itself for most of the season with the cookstove added in the dead of it. We had a terrific summer here on the Maine coast. Actually got some good tomatoes! (The standard by which I judge summers);-). Won't be long now, maybe a month and the match will be struck.
By the way, any info on that big anthracite deposit they found up your way?
I'll let it slide this time Steve. :)

I'm glad you had a nice Summer, and fresh tomatos are always a winner.

I taught my wife how to run the stove this summer - sharing with her my wealth of 'knowledge and experience', and she's already beat my record for the biggest puff-back. I'm so proud of her!

And, no, I've only heard of a request for permitting from the mining company to open a new mine. There are no details on if it is the Anthracite. But, oh my God, if it is - I'm going to be one happy camper.

That stove of yours is beautiful! I've very jealous.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”