It's Almost Time My Heaty Brothers and Sisters...

Kielanders

Post by Kielanders » Sun. Sep. 23, 2012 1:43 am

Vinmaker wrote:I was curious what you burn up there in Alaska. Anthracite comes from PA and your a bit far to truck it up there. SO I was curious of your coal. It is Sub-bit? Where is it mined? Canada or Alaska?

Vin.

P.s. I had a fairly warm winter last year and had my SF-250 throttled down with filler bricks. I am hoping for a really cold snap so I can test her out. That is the reason I upgraded. I wanted a bit more BTU on the high end.
Hi Vin,

Our coal is Sub-Bit and comes from a mine up near Fairbanks about 500 miles or so from here. They bring it down on the railroad and load it onto coal ships in our harbor. Most/All goes to Southeast Asia powerplants.

I really gave my SF a test last March when I forgot the ash door for 15 minutes. I had that puppy so hot it pegged and demagnatized the thermometer, no telling how hot it actually got. The stove was screaming hot, but the flue temp was only about 250!

I was really kicking myself for that one. Luckly, no damage done to our home, and the stove is doing just fine.

I now carry a timer around my neck. It's fixed that problem.

I do envy the Anthracite you guys can get. And be careful about that cold-snap you're hoping for, you might just get it, and it might decide not to leave.

:)

Demented

Post by Demented » Mon. Sep. 24, 2012 1:20 pm

I still have to blow out the chimney and heat exchanger. But I did pick up the first 1000lbs
of nut last Saturday, only have three more trips and I'll be ready. Im hoping to fire up the
Barman by the middle of.October.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Sep. 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Put the Powervent back through the wall with a little SWG oil. Fired up AnthraKing 110, coaltrol min3 max 8. Changed the Aprilaire filter and the MERV 13. Reversed the flow in my 5 ton air unit, connected my 50' flexible 14" line. Ahhhhhhh - contentment. Beer kits away, hmmm, perhaps I might try to brew some merrydown cider - the hangover nearly killed me last time but it's fall - what the hell. I'm feeling mean today so I thought I would sign onto the NYSERDA website and look at the price of HO, or read about 150 EV state wide charging stations those Phkn idiots in Albany are installing despite the fact that no one is buying EVs. Hmmm, for a bet can anyone run a Nissan Leaf with car heat on full to the front gate without it discharging. GO OBUMMER.

Sigh, love those libs.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Sep. 24, 2012 2:17 pm

I'm getting ready :) I rebuilt the top two layers of my masonry chimney and got my first 2400 pounds of nut size. I still gotta put my pipes back together and wanna replace all the fire brick. I was pleasantly surprised that my dealer dropped price to $200 a ton. He said he found a new supplier, I hope it burns just the same.

I plan to install two water coils. One for DHW and the other for my hot tub. Combined savings on electric will drop the bill $100 a month! Making my net cost for winter heating a meager $200 for the whole season :-)

If we get a few consecutive days under or around 45 degrees I'll lite up, if not I'll wait till around end of October. In the mean time I'm taking off the chill with the wood pellet insert. Its easy to fire up for night time use.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Sep. 24, 2012 5:21 pm

I've got to install my draft meter in the pipe but I'm looking to do a more permanent install instead of just shoving the copper tube in the pipe. But I'm not sure where to get fittings for the pipe. What is it that some of you guys use?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Sep. 24, 2012 11:57 pm

IOF...I think this is what you are asking for. A fitting like the one in the link below threaded through the flue pipe. The copper tube is flared and fit on the other end. You can find them in any hardware store.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LNO41M/ref=asc_df_B0 ... wo=&hvqmt=

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Sep. 25, 2012 9:53 am

Yeah, I went to Lowe's last night and had something similar in my hand but I didn't think it would work. Good thing I didn't buy it as I think I still have some of what you linked to in the basement from the days of tinkering on the Neon.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Sep. 25, 2012 10:28 am

Here is a pic of mine. If I remember correctly the tubing and fitting are from an old kit I had to run water to a refrigerator. This fitting happens to be a right angle fitting.

The other hole in the pipe is for the screw in bar-b-q thermometer probe that gives me stack temperature. I have used the same probe for two seasons now and it is ready for the third season. When I got it for $10 I wasn't sure how long it was going to last, but if this is its last year, I think I can handle an average of $3 per year for that!

I'll have to inspect the flue pipe this year to see if I want to replace any or all of it, but down here I have at least another 5-6 weeks or so before I will light up.
IMG_5077.JPG
.JPG | 43.3KB | IMG_5077.JPG

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 5:47 pm

I looked, I don't have any of the fittings left. I'm gonna have to hit the auto parts store. How did you get it to stay in the pipe? A nut on the backside?

I'm hoping I'll get to change the Hopper door gasket and the ash door gasket tomorrow. I don't think I'm going to change the loading door gasket though.

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by creek44 » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Dwyer A-307 Static pressure fitting, for 1/4" metal tubing connection:

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pressure/Access ... s/Ordering

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Nice find. I had no idea they had that.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Hmm, good find creek!

I just wish I knew about that fitting a week ago when I ordered my Mark II directly from Dwyer. :mad:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Sep. 28, 2012 11:37 pm

The hole I drilled was tight enough that the fitting threads grabbed.

I also put a nut on the inside of the flue pipe just in case it decided to loosen up. I don't remember if the nut came with the fitting or if it was a stray nut I had in my screw box.

I'm On Fire

Post by I'm On Fire » Sat. Sep. 29, 2012 2:21 am

I should order one and a spool of the tubing since I can't seem to find the spool that came with the gauge.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Sep. 29, 2012 7:37 am

titleist1 wrote:The hole I drilled was tight enough that the fitting threads grabbed.

I also put a nut on the inside of the flue pipe just in case it decided to loosen up. I don't remember if the nut came with the fitting or if it was a stray nut I had in my screw box.
That's how I'd install it also T. Small hole to thread, a retainer nut and a dab of sealer for good measure.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”