Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Well then, by God, I stand corrected. :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 6:41 am

The problem with most of those electronic thermostat controls is that they are on or off, i.e. the damper is open or closed. They also don't react to a change in draft, or coal size. The firebox in this Hitzer is large, and does well at a nice steady burn. Don't over engineer a simple thing, use the Hitzer the way the builders intended and let the stoker stove ramp up and down.

Fire375
Verified Business Rep.

Post by Fire375 » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 8:33 am

You also have to remember this was designed in an amish blacksmith shop back in the 70s. How on earth were they going to run an electric thermostat? That would have been no benefit to them in their house.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 8:39 am

Nor in mine here on the hill. It humors me that so many people honestly believe the concept of "the more complicated, the better something has to be" Yes, I still have to manually roll down my truck windows & would have it no other way :clap: toothy

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 8:41 am

From a simple discussion standpoint, the Automatic Draft system employed by Harman on their hand-fired furnaces like the SF-1500-A is more user-friendly, but does require electricity unlike the Hitzer. The same auto-draft is available from other manufacturers like Energy King, but those furnaces are of inferior design and construction compared to the DS Stove, Harman and Hitzer units.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Sooo, let me try & paraphrase, you prefer/ WANT/NEED/ whatever a heating unit with primary elec functions but don't want to get off the $$$ in order to achieve that goal?

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Fred, I am a white and blue collared guy with two kids and a 210lb dog trying to save enough for retirement so I can be a 70+ year old retired farmer with plenty of time to fiddle with my Hitzer just like you.

So yes, I want a hand-fired stove with a thermostat that shakes its own grates, fills itself with coal and empties its own ashes.

Is that too much to ask Fred ????

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 2:00 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote: By: EarthWindandFire On: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 pm

Fred, I am a white and blue collared guy with two kids and a 210lb dog trying to save enough for retirement so I can be a 70+ year old retired farmer with plenty of time to fiddle with my Hitzer just like you.
Now you have done it. Say what you want about Fred, just don't make him older than he is. And another thing you clean up after a bunch of horses and see how much time you have left over.

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Hey Fred how ya doing you 70+ year old fart. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 3:02 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:So yes, I want a hand-fired stove with a thermostat that shakes its own grates, fills itself with coal and empties its own ashes.
Exactly what part of that stove would be "hand" fired? :D

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Just for the record, amongst other things, you obviously are not familiar with farming & what's entailed--nobody retires out here, most just drop dead haying on the tractor or mucking stalls--how earthy huh?? ;) --yes I'm talking small family farms--but neither here nor there--my point is--there ain't no such critter as to what you WANT--I'll try saying it again--what you have will work just fine if you use it as it was intended to be used. Oh wait--white, blue collar, two kids(why so few), a big dog-(again, why only one?) & trying to get a nest egg together for retirement-- :gee: Nope, can't say I know anyone that's ever been in that kinda situation. toothy EWF, lighten up & stop trying to way out smart the people that made your stove--OR--get another stove. That's all I'm saying PS--I don't fiddle--I shake, top off twice a day & empty ashes once a day--that all takes about 10 minutes total on a bad day--if you don't have that much time to invest in an incredible $$ saving venture, I don't know what else to suggest to you.
EarthWindandFire wrote:Fred, I am a white and blue collared guy with two kids and a 210lb dog trying to save enough for retirement so I can be a 70+ year old retired farmer with plenty of time to fiddle with my Hitzer just like you.

So yes, I want a hand-fired stove with a thermostat that shakes its own grates, fills itself with coal and empties its own ashes.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 5:55 pm

freetown fred wrote:Just for the record, amongst other things, you obviously are not familiar with farming & what's entailed--nobody retires out here, most just drop dead haying on the tractor or mucking stalls--how earthy huh?? ;) --yes I'm talking small family farms--but neither here nor there--my point is--there ain't no such critter as to what you WANT--I'll try saying it again--what you have will work just fine if you use it as it was intended to be used. Oh wait--white, blue collar, two kids(why so few), a big dog-(again, why only one?) & trying to get a nest egg together for retirement-- :gee: Nope, can't say I know anyone that's ever been in that kinda situation. toothy EWF, lighten up & stop trying to way out smart the people that made your stove--OR--get another stove. That's all I'm saying PS--I don't fiddle--I shake, top off twice a day & empty ashes once a day--that all takes about 10 minutes total on a bad day--if you don't have that much time to invest in an incredible $$ saving venture, I don't know what else to suggest to you.
EarthWindandFire wrote:Fred, I am a white and blue collared guy with two kids and a 210lb dog trying to save enough for retirement so I can be a 70+ year old retired farmer with plenty of time to fiddle with my Hitzer just like you.

Fred ole pal, you are beginning to sound a lot like some body else I know. That's base burner talk you're talkin' now.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 6:33 pm

:oops2: :clap: toothy

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Fred,

You have been dogging me for a long time on here. Tomorrow the Hitzer will be on Craigslist for scrap.

As for farming, the house in my avatar is the 4,200 sq ft farm house I grew up in. We sold hay and feed back in the 20's and 30's to Fred Vanderbilt and Franklin Roosevelt. The receipts signed by my great-grandmother are housed at the Roosevelt Library for all to see, just ask the research librarian.

I'll steer clear of this forum and not ask any questions from this point on, I don't want to blind you with my blue headlights.

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 9:09 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:Fred,

You have been dogging me for a long time on here. Tomorrow the Hitzer will be on Craigslist for scrap.

I'll steer clear of this forum and not ask any questions from this point on.
No reason to be like that. we can all be civil.

Why would you sell the hitzer it would do a good job heating your home?

Eric

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”