Hitzer 75 Coal Stove.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Aug. 28, 2012 4:27 pm

As stated, you will need everything that a boiler requires.
There ya go...best to hook up a minimum of 80K btu/hr of radiators, or some kind of dump zone.

I have a shaker handle you can have. :)
I think is fits over 1" square.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 10:19 am

I have yet to fire the stove, but my initial impression is surprise at how lightly constructed the stove is. From what I've read on here, I was expecting a stove built like a tank. If it weren't for the water jacket, the stove would weigh the same as my Leisure Line. And for that matter, Leisure Line has had to explain why they use 1/8" inch steel instead of 3/16" ever since Jerry started the company. And yet, the science behind the decision was sound and people still question it.

Another slight disappointment with the stove is the thermostat. I had read about BIMETALLIC thermostats and I "assumed" that all modern stoves had one. The Hitzer 75 has a simple rotary dial that you set but does not adjust itself based on room temperature. Not a huge problem, but if I'm at work and the outside temps rise, the stove will be burning hard for no reason.

Has anyone retrofitted a bimetallic thermostat to a Hitzer?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 10:30 am

What is inside the box that the temperature dial is mounted on? It looks identical to my old stove, and mine had a coiled spring inside that reacted to the temperature of the stove body. The control doesn't react to room temperature, it reacts to the STOVE temperature.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 10:36 am

The one he has in the picture is just a bottom air inlet flapper control. Mine being a hot air model has a temp control to start & stop the fan, just mounts on the back towards the top.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 11:12 am

Never considered retrofitting bi-metalic thermo cause it works just like HITZER planned it too. On my 50-93 I set it where it needs to be & the house NEVER fluxiciates temp wisethermo responds to stove temp & stove responds to house temp--I have gone away for 2 days give or take & come back to a nice toasty house in the worst of winter here on the hill. EWF, don't project, Hitzers been building stoves for a long time & they are not idiots.

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 11:27 am

I will look more carefully at the dial when I get home. Maybe it does control the flapper based on stove temps?

Fred, the model 75 pre-dates the model 82 and was the first stove made by Hitzer. That means my stove is thirty years old and Hitzer was a young and inexperienced company at that time. So, maybe they learned some things since then. But they made the model 75 for only a short time before coming out with the 82, I can only assume they realized that the model 75 had some shortcomings and made improvements as they learned.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 11:41 am

Yes on the flapper & stove temps--take that thermo box apart--I did, just to see what was inside ;) EWF, they are still making improvements as we speak-- as for inexperience?? I think not, back when--they just got the money together to start producing then, that's almost like saying Steve Jobs knew nothing about computers before APPLE was formed???

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 11:50 am

freetown fred wrote:Never considered retrofitting bi-metalic thermo cause it works just like HITZER planned it too.
There is nothing to retrofit, your stove already has one. The coiled metal strip inside the box is made of two different metals, hence it is a bi-metallic thermostat.

Check out the animation on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimetallic_strip

It is a nice setup...nice enough that a forum member installed the Hitzer control on his Harman: Retrofit Hitzer Thermostat to Harman

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 11:56 am

Yes & I beleive the 75 should have the same set up?? cool animation-- I was hoping that was a ZIPPO LOL

EarthWindandFire

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Well, it does indeed have a bimetallic thermostat. I took the thermostat box off the stove and cleaned the strip. Not quite what I had in mind when reading about them on this site. Does any hand-fired stove have a remote mounted thermostat that controls draft and stove temps based on room temperature?

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 8:12 pm

To my knowledge, no they do not. If I had convinced myself, as it seems you have, that the 75 is not the stove for you, I would put the 75 on e-bay & find something up to your standards. Although I will say, I think if you were to run that stove properly once burning season arrives, I think you will be quite impressed with it's performance.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 9:01 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:Well, it does indeed have a bimetallic thermostat...

Does any hand-fired stove have a remote mounted thermostat that controls draft and stove temps based on room temperature?
Indeed, this has been done for decades.

Instead of the bi-meteallic coil to pull the flapper, a spring return 24 volt ac motor getting it's *signal* from a wall t'stat then would pull the flapper.

Here's one...http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-M847A1080-24V- ... rm-linkage

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 9:04 pm

McGiever wrote:
EarthWindandFire wrote:Well, it does indeed have a bimetallic thermostat...

Does any hand-fired stove have a remote mounted thermostat that controls draft and stove temps based on room temperature?
Indeed, this has been done for decades.

Instead of the bi-meteallic coil to pull the flapper, a spring return 24 volt ac motor getting it's *signal* from a wall t'stat then would pull the flapper.

Here's one...http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-M847A1080-24V- ... rm-linkage
Yes, you are correct. Instead of done for decades, however; try for over a Century. The first electronic thermostat control was marketed in around 1886 or so.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 9:22 pm

The question was do any hand fired HAVE one--not an add on, which can be done on any stove.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 9:26 pm

freetown fred wrote:The question was do any hand fired HAVE one--not an add on, which can be done on any stove.
Then the answer is yes. ;)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”