Good Coal Add on Furnace on a Budget

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 5:40 pm

In general a unit that burns wood and coal is not going to do either well. also I fully understand the budget aspect of your thought process but let me mention a few things to consider. Most any coal burner you buy will be able to be moved with you if you move. While a unit that costs a few thousand may seem expensive, it's going to do the job and pay for itself quickly. You should be able to tell the propane man to take a hike. I'm sure others will chime in but with your size home, I'd look for a small stoker boiler and put a water to air heat exchanger in your ductwork. A keystoker K2 would be perfect. Weigh all your options before you jump.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”