New to the Forum, Looking at Coal

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Tue. Aug. 28, 2012 2:01 pm

Once you go black, you'll never go back......

brewmiesterbuck

Post by brewmiesterbuck » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Here is a picture of the bin from my set up. I'll post details in the Coal Bin forum.

It doesn't have any coal in it yet (should be delivered next week).

I burnt some newspaper just to check the draft. It burnt up and the stove carried most of the ash up the flue. I think this will draft fine. Hopefully not too much.

Can't wait for some cold weather to cure the paint.

Attachments

IMG00170-20120829-1814.jpg

Coal Bin

.JPG | 156.6KB | IMG00170-20120829-1814.jpg

Beeman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Beeman » Fri. Aug. 31, 2012 5:40 am

Welcome to coal. Your 503 will work well for you--central fireplace and central staircase with ceiling fans. Should be fine. Nut is my coal of choice.

I have been heating my house, which is about 3000 sq ft, entirely by a 503 and it works well. Saving alot of money over oil.

One arcane issue with the 503 is excerpted from a previous 2011 post of mine: "One other thought regarding operation of this particular stove concerns the bricks just inside the firebox door. There is some wiggle room with these bricks. I noticed that the bricks have a tendency to lean toward the fire, i.e. away from the door and into the heart of the stove. If that happens, pieces of coal can get behind the bricks and eventually the bricks will break and need to be replaced. Simple fix that has worked for me is to wedge a piece of rebar--cut so that it runs the width of all the bricks just inside the firebox door--so that the bricks are held back tight against the front of the stove (back toward you the operator and away from the fire). No more wiggle room!" This has worked over several seasons.

Regarding cleaning of the 503 with a SS liner installed--easy to do from below. Use the most flexible rods you can buy attached to your chimney cleaning brush. Run the rods up through the ash pan door. Wear gloves as bloody knuckles take the joy out of the job. At end of season, volume of coal dust from clearning is about 1 gallon.

Enjoy your stove!

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Fri. Aug. 31, 2012 2:09 pm

Nice job on the stove install. Looks like your cat likes it too. Soon enough you will be firing her up. I'm sure that she will keep you warm. Good luck with the new stove.

brewmiesterbuck

Post by brewmiesterbuck » Fri. Aug. 31, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'll have questions when I get this thing kicked up.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”