Harmon Mark III Burning

Thechap

Post by Thechap » Wed. Nov. 28, 2007 8:05 pm

Just fired up the new Harman Mark III coal furnace. The coal is crackling and I have the third and final topping on the coal. Question for everyone. How far do I turn the air control open to keep a nice burn all night. Time is short!! Many thanks, you people are great.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Nov. 28, 2007 8:10 pm

Once a good deep bed of coal is fully burning and established, I generally run my Mark I anywhere from 1 turn to 3 turns open, depending on the heating requirements. The least I have run it was 3/4 of a turn.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Nov. 28, 2007 9:29 pm

I also have a Mark III, just replaced my 15yo one with a new one over the past weekend. I can keep a good fire going all night with it open about two - two 1/2 turns. I put the last shovels of coal on around 11 and am up around 6. There is usually a strong enough fire going in the morning that I just add coal and open it up a couple more turns until the coffee gets made and the dog gets fed. Then I back it down to the 2 to 2-1/2 turns again. You may have to experiment a little to get it just right for your burn time, coal grade, etc.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Nov. 28, 2007 9:33 pm

titleist1 wrote:I also have a Mark III, just replaced my 15yo one with a new one over the past weekend. I can keep a good fire going all night with it open about two - two 1/2 turns. I put the last shovels of coal on around 11 and am up around 6. There is usually a strong enough fire going in the morning that I just add coal and open it up a couple more turns until the coffee gets made and the dog gets fed. Then I back it down to the 2 to 2-1/2 turns again. You may have to experiment a little to get it just right for your burn time, coal grade, etc.
T-
Glad to see you got your new stove set up.
That's my routine also, I make sure the stove is full before bed, and in the morning I usually open the ash door to get the fire going, add coal a couple of times, shake it down, refill, usually while the Sunbeam C-30 is brewing the coffee. That's in between my usual morning habit of staring off into space with a blank look on my face (not a morning person).

Thechap

Post by Thechap » Wed. Nov. 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Thanks for the fast replies. The Mark III is burning like a champ. Well burning so well it wants to cook us out of the house :p

endinmaine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Margin Gem Cook Stove and Harman Mark III

Post by endinmaine » Tue. Dec. 04, 2007 1:57 pm

This is my 3rd year with the Mark III and I only have it opened 3/4 - 1 full turn open. The temps on the right side will run around 400*. If it's 1 full turn open then the temps are approximately 500*. I can't imagine what the temps would be if the draft was open 2 - 3 turns ,,, I'm afraid the stove would melt. My chimney is only 12' tall from stove opening to top. I do not have a baro and so far have not found that I needed one. If it's windy outside then sometimes I have turned it down to 1/2 turn open and have not had any problems.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”