"New" Stove Coming for My Home

half-pint
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove Hotblast 2500
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 Baseburner
Coal Size/Type: Stove sized Anthracite / WV Bituminous

Post by half-pint » Thu. Jul. 05, 2012 1:04 am

Finally at long last I am getting a Glenwood Base Burner for my home. It's a #6 and is being redone at BarnStableStove.

Jason

Attachments

Glenwood #6 Before.jpg
.JPG | 101.6KB | Glenwood #6 Before.jpg

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Jul. 05, 2012 6:54 am

Awesome stove and will be a beauty when done. Congrates to you and keep us informed if you need any help.

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Thu. Jul. 05, 2012 9:33 am

Good luck with that - Nice stoves for burning coal... The photo shows no base or foot rests, did you get them but just not in the photo? I'd like to see the back in insides, just to see... From what I can see, looks in decent shape, but the part you have to look out for you can't see in a photo... I'm sure BarnStable will get it put together nicely for you...

dj

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Jul. 05, 2012 9:43 am

Nice to see an other good stove back on the job. You will certainly love it :!:
If you get some photos from the restoration, don't forget us :)
BTW, I think we could/should ask to get photos showing the restoration while done from a Pro. Sometimes can be very usefull ...and we Pay to have a stove done :sick:
If the restoration is well done, it shouldn't be a problem to get some photos...
Last edited by nortcan on Thu. Jul. 05, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Thu. Jul. 05, 2012 10:21 am

Congratulations on the new stove. Hopefully they get it done quick enough to get it home and in it's new spot.

half-pint

Post by half-pint » Thu. Jul. 05, 2012 4:44 pm

dlj wrote:Good luck with that - Nice stoves for burning coal... The photo shows no base or foot rests, did you get them but just not in the photo? I'd like to see the back in insides, just to see... From what I can see, looks in decent shape, but the part you have to look out for you can't see in a photo... I'm sure BarnStable will get it put together nicely for you...

dj
I'm pretty sure Doug had already taken them off. I had sent my deposit about a week before I remembered to ask for a "before" picture. As for the back it's all there including the cast elbow with the check damper. My reason for deciding on this type and model stove is from reading what everyone here had said about them along with a few conversations with member William (wsherrick) and watching his youtube videos 10 or 20 times each. I knew I wanted a different stove for my house and seeing as I'm a fan of antiques and railroads a antique coal burning stove is just right for me. I'm sure I'll be looking to everyone for tips and tricks to operation before very long.

half-pint

Post by half-pint » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 12:20 am

dlj wrote:Good luck with that - Nice stoves for burning coal... The photo shows no base or foot rests, did you get them but just not in the photo? I'd like to see the back in insides, just to see... From what I can see, looks in decent shape, but the part you have to look out for you can't see in a photo... I'm sure BarnStable will get it put together nicely for you...

dj
Got a email today from Doug at Barn Stable Stove he said the base and legs are just off to the side out of frame of the camera but that they are fine. I'm figuring I'll just buy some of each but would like to hear the opinion of those who know these stoves better than I do. What is the size coal of choice for these stoves? I plan on getting a 1.5 tons of nut and 1.5 tons of stove coal as I will now be running 2 stoves. I would still like to know what everyone thinks though. Also, I have some other questions for everyone :

1. Stove Polish…. What kind / brand do you recommend. Also Mica Window cleaner and how to tips.
2. Service / Maintenance…. Is there anything extra or special that I need to know with this stove that I may not have already been doing. I have always done the regular maintenance of cleaning out and vacuuming the stove throughly between fires and doing a end of season cleaning that took the stove down to every nut and bolt and cleaning with a baking soda solution. I have been repainting the inside after I clean and dry everything, but this stove is a different animal to me. Do I need to do that with this one as well?
3. Seasonal Storage…. On my current stove I do my cleaning and painting then put a BBQ grill cover over it for the off season. I of course disconnect my stovepipe, and clean it as well.
4. Start of season…. On my current stove I simply had a couple of small wood burns to cure the paint and test it out. I don't want to burn any wood in this Glenwood at all. I plan to use Charcoal to start it with as I don't want to soot up my Mica windows. So how do I go about prepping my Glenwood for it's season. I just want to know the way that is most beneficial to the stove itself. If it means more work for me that's fine I just want what's best for my stove
5. Any other tips you may have I truly appreciate your input.

dlj

Post by dlj » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 10:39 am

half-pint wrote:

dj
I'm pretty sure Doug had already taken them off. I had sent my deposit about a week before I remembered to ask for a "before" picture. As for the back it's all there including the cast elbow with the check damper. My reason for deciding on this type and model stove is from reading what everyone here had said about them along with a few conversations with member William (wsherrick) and watching his youtube videos 10 or 20 times each. I knew I wanted a different stove for my house and seeing as I'm a fan of antiques and railroads a antique coal burning stove is just right for me. I'm sure I'll be looking to everyone for tips and tricks to operation before very long.
I've never seen a Glenwood with a check damper. What I have seen is a vent on the side of the back elbow sort of as a manual baro...

dj

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 11:21 am

dlj wrote:I've never seen a Glenwood with a check damper. What I have seen is a vent on the side of the back elbow sort of as a manual baro...
On old stoves the vent in the top or loading door was often referred to as a check damper and of course it does act like one by bypassing the draft.

dlj

Post by dlj » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 11:23 am

half-pint wrote:
Got a email today from Doug at Barn Stable Stove he said the base and legs are just off to the side out of frame of the camera but that they are fine. I'm figuring I'll just buy some of each but would like to hear the opinion of those who know these stoves better than I do. What is the size coal of choice for these stoves? I plan on getting a 1.5 tons of nut and 1.5 tons of stove coal as I will now be running 2 stoves. I would still like to know what everyone thinks though. Also, I have some other questions for everyone :
I've run both stove and nut in my Glenwood. Also pea but it doesn't work so well. I prefer stove coal. But nut runs OK. I guess my stove is pretty tight, I don't really have a problem slowing the fire down if need be in warmer weather with stove coal. I like the responsiveness of the stove coal over the nut. But it's up to you - both work. I prefer to have only one size coal in the house. Don't have to think that way... :D
half-pint wrote: 1. Stove Polish…. What kind / brand do you recommend. Also Mica Window cleaner and how to tips.
Stove polish - lots on the forums here about that. I picked some up from Tractor Supply. Worked fine. Cleaning the Mica windows - well my opinion is to not do it much. Mica prefers to just be there without a lot of fussing... I will clean them maybe a couple times over the season if they get really sooted up, usually when I'm starting the fire with wood or other "bad" things I end up doing over the winter. With the stove running, I open the door and gently wipe them with a wet paper towel from the inside.
half-pint wrote: 2. Service / Maintenance…. Is there anything extra or special that I need to know with this stove that I may not have already been doing. I have always done the regular maintenance of cleaning out and vacuuming the stove throughly between fires and doing a end of season cleaning that took the stove down to every nut and bolt and cleaning with a baking soda solution. I have been repainting the inside after I clean and dry everything, but this stove is a different animal to me. Do I need to do that with this one as well?
You're a better man than I am... There are a lot of nuts and bolts on the Glenwood... I don't use paint at all, not inside, not outside. I've never done anything inside my stove except clean out the fly ash and empty the ashes. The back shelf will accumulate fly ash on the top sides, I'll vacuum those out before the heating season. I also both scrap and vacuum the the back pipe and bottom through the door in the ash pit. Clean the chimney once in awhile. I have great draft on my set-up so I don't accumulate much in a season. I check it and clean as needed. I haven't had to clean my chimney in three seasons at this point. I haven't checked this year, might be time...

Every couple years or so, I re-do various seals in furnace cement. I have one seal where the back shelf meets the vertical steel side wall that tends to break. I have to re-cement that seal about every other year. I tried a new way to do it this last time, might last a bit longer - time will tell...
half-pint wrote: 3. Seasonal Storage…. On my current stove I do my cleaning and painting then put a BBQ grill cover over it for the off season. I of course disconnect my stovepipe, and clean it as well.
I don't cover my stove, it's part of my living room decor. Plus, I'd worry about trapping moisture under a cover... I never disconnect my stovepipe, it's connected all the time unless I'm cleaning it... I'm not sure why people do that...
half-pint wrote: 4. Start of season…. On my current stove I simply had a couple of small wood burns to cure the paint and test it out. I don't want to burn any wood in this Glenwood at all. I plan to use Charcoal to start it with as I don't want to soot up my Mica windows. So how do I go about prepping my Glenwood for it's season. I just want to know the way that is most beneficial to the stove itself. If it means more work for me that's fine I just want what's best for my stove
That stove is no spring chicken... It's had a ton of fires in it.... There's no prep needed other than having it hooked up correctly to a chimney and located properly in it's location... Don't know what is being done in the restoration, from the photos you posted, probably just a major cleaning, possibly a ceramic liner in the firepot and lots of furnace cement to seal everything up. It might need new grates. Don't know. There isn't much for you to do other than build a fire in it and sit back and enjoy the heat...
half-pint wrote: 5. Any other tips you may have I truly appreciate your input.
Listening to your questions, I think my best tip for you is sit back and relax. That stove has been running for over a hundred years. Nobody ever did as much maintenance on it as you are talking about. Think simple, robust, and efficient. That stove didn't arrive to your house to give you more work, but rather a lot less....

dj

dlj

Post by dlj » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 11:49 am

franco b wrote:
dlj wrote:I've never seen a Glenwood with a check damper. What I have seen is a vent on the side of the back elbow sort of as a manual baro...
On old stoves the vent in the top or loading door was often referred to as a check damper and of course it does act like one by bypassing the draft.
Oh yea, now that you mention it, I do recall hearing those vents called check dampers. I was thinking of other old stoves that had manual dampers installed in them, like the stove Nortcan just got. On the Glenwood, the front door has one of these in it, but it does not work like a damper. I use that a lot while running the stove to control the heat output. If I want a little more heat, I open that one up. I know everyone talks about under fire air, but my Glenwood doesn't seem to listen to any of the "rules"... Sort of like it's owner... HAHAHA

dj

half-pint

Post by half-pint » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 1:54 pm

Thank You! for the replies. I'm sure you're right DJ I need to relax. I am just really excited about this stove. I'm a huge fan of American history and this stove is perfect for me. The stove is getting a refractory liner in the fire pot, mica windows, and new grates for sure. It's like I had said this is a entirely different animal stove wise than the stove I have been using that is made from thin sheet steel and cast parts made in China. I had to do a lot maintenance wise to it to keep it from simply falling apart. This is a built to last USA made stove that at 100 years old is only getting broken in.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Everyting is going to be just fine. Once you get the Glenwood you will be living with us on coal stove easy street. Once you get the hang of how to operate the stove, they almost run themselves.

half-pint

Post by half-pint » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 3:40 pm

wsherrick wrote:Everyting is going to be just fine. Once you get the Glenwood you will be living with us on coal stove easy street. Once you get the hang of how to operate the stove, they almost run themselves.
William, I owe you a lot for 1st leading me to this stove. If it wasn't for your YouTube videos I might have never decided to take this direction in a coal stove. I've read a lot here on the forum, but it was your videos that was the big thing that helped me in making my decision.

Thank You,
Jason

half-pint

Post by half-pint » Fri. Jul. 06, 2012 3:48 pm

nortcan wrote:Nice to see an other good stove back on the job. You will certainly love it :!:
If you get some photos from the restoration, don't forget us :)
BTW, I think we could/should ask to get photos showing the restoration while done from a Pro. Sometimes can be very usefull ...and we Pay to have a stove done :sick:
If the restoration is well done, it shouldn't be a problem to get some photos...
One thing is for sure if I get any photos I won't forget to post them. I try not to bother Doug at Barn Stable Stove very much as I know he is busy, but I'll ask for him to send some if he has the time. I'm just happy to be putting a piece of American made history back in action in a place where it can be loved and cared for. I love my heritage and this stove is just another way to me of showing my pride in my heritage. I'm going to a local brick factory to get brick to make it's Hearth and make it's new home hopefully a place that is worthy of a stove like what is going to call it home.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”