Blower Fan?

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Fri. Nov. 23, 2007 11:49 am

I seem to run through fans with some regularity. I am buying OE Harman blowers for my Mark I. Within a season or so, they start to make a "knocking" noise like they are out of balance or the bearings are going bad. Sometimes a sharp rap with a fist or a rubber mallet will quiet it down. It fits tightly to the stove so I know it's not coming from there.

Anyone have a line on a higher quality fan, or maybe someplace to have it rebuilt to better than new specs?

Thanks
Jeff

xackley

Post by xackley » Fri. Nov. 23, 2007 12:56 pm

Are you supposed to oil them
The guy that sold me my LL showed me where to oil the motor, and told me to do it 2 times a year.

Even new, a few drops of oil quieted the bearing noise on my stove.

NOT WD-40, 20 or 30 weight non-detergent. I read that 3-in-1 in the red can works well.

Don

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Nov. 23, 2007 1:18 pm

The blower or distribution fans suck up a lot of dust/pet hair/etc off the floor. This gets caught in the squirrel cage fan, causes imballances.
Take a 'Q'-tip and clean the fins of the fan, and like mentioned above a few drops of OIL, {not spray 'fix-all' [wd-40] } on the bearings, and it should last a long time.

I have a few fans that are over ten years old, and are doing fine.

Greg L

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Nov. 23, 2007 2:07 pm

LsFarm wrote:The blower or distribution fans suck up a lot of dust/pet hair/etc off the floor. This gets caught in the squirrel cage fan, causes imballances.
Take a 'Q'-tip and clean the fins of the fan
If you look close you will notice a cup shape to the fan blades. When the cup is full of caca, it can reduce the volume of air that the fan moves significantly. It can reduce that volume as much as 50-75% depending on a lot of other factors.

Mastiffman

Post by Mastiffman » Fri. Nov. 23, 2007 4:36 pm

Mine vibrates/buzzes when it's tight against the bottom of the groove that holds it. I haven't tried oiling/cleaning it yet. If I lift it a fraction of an inch with my toe the buzzing stops, and it will be quiet for a day or 2 until it vibrates itself all the way to the bottom again.
Does anyone have a diagram showing where to oil?

Steve

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Nov. 26, 2007 5:51 pm

I have the Harman TLC2000 & was considering purchasing the Harman blower fan (for $117.00) but found that I could get my regular summer fan (
**Broken Link(s) Removed** ) to work great when I adapted it to vent througb the same stove vent that the Harman blower uses. ( in addition: it is very quiet, has 3 speeds,remote control & turn-off timer, less than 1/2 the price of the Harman blower & is a good summer fan) There are also many other blower fans that could be easily adapted at a fraction of the cost of the Harman blower.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 26, 2007 6:15 pm

There is normally a little "Notch" or "Rubber grommet" somewhere around the motor housing on the inside and towards the outer part.

Depending on how it is mounted, the notch/holes may be on the bottom. Therefore, you must remove the blower, OIL and run for a bit and then put it back on.

Attached pic should help on where to look. :)

Here's another source for blowers, motors,etc..
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/fasco/fasco_blower.htm

Attachments

blower.jpg
.JPG | 8.6KB | blower.jpg

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Mon. Nov. 26, 2007 6:22 pm

My Russo was set up for a fan, but didn't have one. I bought a Dayton fan from Grainger, which seems to work good. I also, installed a thermostat switch in the jacket to control when the fan runs.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 26, 2007 6:41 pm

You can take the screen off the blower, and with and Allen (hex) wrench remove the Squirrel Cage, the blades do get full of dirt/stuff, as you can see, not sure where this stove was used before I got it, but Definitely needed a good cleaning. I probably gained 25% more airflow :)

Attachments

blower_hyfire.jpg
.JPG | 37.7KB | blower_hyfire.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”