A Sunny Side ?

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sun. Aug. 05, 2012 2:26 pm

nortcan..... You better go out and get a patent for that set up. You may be able to make some $$$$$$ with that. :shifty: Looks like it wiill work good. I can't wait to see your new stove fired up this season. I guess the Vig II is retired for a while. :shock: Enjoy the rest of the summer.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Aug. 05, 2012 8:02 pm

buck24 wrote:nortcan..... You better go out and get a patent for that set up. You may be able to make some $$$$$$ with that. :shifty: Looks like it wiill work good. I can't wait to see your new stove fired up this season. I guess the Vig II is retired for a while. :shock: Enjoy the rest of the summer.
Thanks for the advice buck24.
If it can help some readers or give some ideas to someone, that would be good for my$$$$. I found so many ideas, infos on this forum, it's my pay-back now :)
I will be able to begin the sand blasting job very soon cause the dis-assembly is all done now. The more parts I was dis-assembling, the more Surprises I found on that stove...the last one (I hope) was found this PM on the barell and connector joint. The joint was looking quite good....before I decided to dis-assemble it :mad: , just in case of........a photo worth.......you see what I mean.

Attachments

DSC05027.JPG
.JPG | 115.6KB | DSC05027.JPG
DSC05049.JPG
.JPG | 104.2KB | DSC05049.JPG

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Aug. 07, 2012 7:49 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: Glad you found that Pierre. This is why the disemble and rebuild is so good to do. As the owner of the stove, you learn everything about the design, the good stuff, the flaws , and you can feel confident that it is at the best that the stove can be. Operationally, and safety wise.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Aug. 07, 2012 9:19 pm

SteveZee wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: Glad you found that Pierre. This is why the disemble and rebuild is so good to do. As the owner of the stove, you learn everything about the design, the good stuff, the flaws , and you can feel confident that it is at the best that the stove can be. Operationally, and safety wise.
Very well said Steve. And as you mention it, we learn a lot when we see the inside part of the stove. In fact all the ""adventure"" with that stove helps me to understand the special way that heater works with it's millions parts :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Aug. 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Now the new barrel is ready to fire :) That one will be much more safe to use :!:
Next photos will show the metallic liner I/and a friend made. For some special reasons I decided after long reflexions to make it fron 3/8" steel plate, in seperated parts to be able to have the fire pot's form and permit heat expansion.

Attachments

DSC05066.JPG

The bad and the good

.JPG | 78.2KB | DSC05066.JPG

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Tue. Aug. 07, 2012 11:06 pm

nortcan..... Great job! That looks better than the original piece. Keep up the good work. Those antique stoves are a work of art. Hope she does well for you this season.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Aug. 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Here are the new/home-made parts for the Sunnyside.
For special reasons, the liner is made from steel plates with some play/gap for the heat expansion. I think it will make a few years before needing to be renew :?: I made some steel parts for the Vigll fire box and when I removed them to bring the stove back as original for sale, the parts were in very good condition. We will see with the Sunnyside :?: The only missing part in the stove was a dust damper for the shaking doors, now there is one.

Attachments

DSC05053.JPG

Multi plates liner

.JPG | 95.5KB | DSC05053.JPG
DSC05054.JPG
.JPG | 81.6KB | DSC05054.JPG
DSC05056.JPG

Dust damper slide

.JPG | 121.2KB | DSC05056.JPG
grate 004.JPG

Shaking doors access

.JPG | 86.2KB | grate 004.JPG

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Aug. 10, 2012 8:38 am

Fantastic Pierre! Those parts are really professional. Amazing that you made that 'shaker' dust screen. It will give you a little more "tightness" too for fire control. I'll bet that you get more than a few years or from the "liners" and most of all, it saves the pot. Better to sacrifice something you can replicate easier than having to re-cast a pot.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Aug. 10, 2012 11:11 am

SteveZee wrote:Fantastic Pierre! Those parts are really professional. Amazing that you made that 'shaker' dust screen. It will give you a little more "tightness" too for fire control. I'll bet that you get more than a few years or from the "liners" and most of all, it saves the pot. Better to sacrifice something you can replicate easier than having to re-cast a pot.
Thanks Steve :!:
You'r right about the "tightness" for the fire control. In fact the 2 small doors giving access to the grate lever are not air tight at all so the dust screen will help plus I will "glue" 2 sections of a 3/4" rope gasket inside of these small doors, so when they will be closed the ropes will make a good seal.
About the home made parts, I got the ideas but most of the welding, bending... are made from a custommer of mine and good friend. So I have 1/2 of the merit :D
Love your avatar :!:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Aug. 11, 2012 11:56 am

Hi all.
Just a photo to show how peoples were working in 1874. We should imagine them making the casting molds for all these parts with the simple tools they had at these times :idea:. And all these parts were fitting together :idea: The Sunnyside Base Burner has: 92 parts plus the bolts, hinge pins, micas.
The Golden Bride and the piano are not counted :lol:

Attachments

DSC05075.JPG

92 parts

.JPG | 116.8KB | DSC05075.JPG

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Aug. 12, 2012 1:55 am

That's amazing. I hope you remember the order in which you took all of that apart. It is already the middle of August, you will be needing the stove very soon.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sun. Aug. 12, 2012 11:05 am

That's impressive Pierre! Mine was all in grocery cart but I (sort of) had the proper order noted down. You have allot more parts in your sunnyside. Let's hope it all remains "Sunny" for you! :D . But, I'm sure that was taken awhile ago and everything is nearly back together again. ;)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Aug. 12, 2012 7:33 pm

wsherrick wrote:That's amazing. I hope you remember the order in which you took all of that apart. It is already the middle of August, you will be needing the stove very soon.
You know William, I should sand blast many of these parts before the re-assembly time. So I'm happy to have a Bride in the living room for the first cold times if the Baltimore Heater is not ready. Just hope to sell the Vigll as soon as possible.
As you imagine, a lot of photos were taken during the dis-assembly time, so that can help :)

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Aug. 12, 2012 7:44 pm

SteveZee wrote:That's impressive Pierre! Mine was all in grocery cart but I (sort of) had the proper order noted down. You have allot more parts in your sunnyside. Let's hope it all remains "Sunny" for you! :D . But, I'm sure that was taken awhile ago and everything is nearly back together again. ;)
Steve,
I would need about 2 or 3 Costco giant carts for all these parts :o The photo is from yesterday and a lot of work remain to do on the stove.
Curiously, a couple of days after I entered the stove inside the house, I began to work on the future base for the stove then I got an horrible sore back. I had to stop working for 2 months. Not very funny when you own a small entreprise: no work/no money :( So, many works were stopped but since a few weeks all is coming back for my back :!:

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Mon. Aug. 13, 2012 7:11 am

Oh boy Pierre! Glad that your back is "back". I thought that the picture was an old one. :shock: Well it will go fairly fast you'll see. ;) It will the best it can be too.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”