A Sunny Side ?

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 06, 2012 12:06 pm

The stove is a used (I think it is) 1874 SUNNYSIDE, :oops: these models of inserts are often named Baltimore Heater. Was manufactured by Stuart, Peterson Co. of Philadelphia PA.
I must unload the stove from the st-wagon and study how it works. Some dampers and pipes at the back so I think it's a sort of base burner but I must check it. The exit connector seems very small 4" or less?
So now the unloading must begin.

Attachments

Sunnyside and Hess Stoves 003.JPG
.JPG | 78.8KB | Sunnyside and Hess Stoves 003.JPG
Sunnyside and Hess Stoves 004.JPG
.JPG | 93.4KB | Sunnyside and Hess Stoves 004.JPG
water tank and baltimore heater 002.JPG
.JPG | 88.3KB | water tank and baltimore heater 002.JPG
water tank and baltimore heater 003.JPG
.JPG | 91.6KB | water tank and baltimore heater 003.JPG

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sun. May. 06, 2012 1:05 pm

nortcan..... Another work of art. She is a real beauty. The craftsmanship of that stove is unique. Hope she does well for you. Good luck with her.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 06, 2012 1:14 pm

buck24 wrote:nortcan..... Another work of art. She is a real beauty. The craftsmanship of that stove is unique. Hope she does well for you. Good luck with her.
Thanks buck24.
I saw many Windsor inserts and it was simple to see how they were working but this one is a little different and I will see when the stove will be inside of the home.
They sit right on the floor tiles and are very low, so the tile base should be rised to get an easier access to the ash pan and shaker handle.
Anyway help is always here on the forum and I always appreciate the comments and suggestions. Very often an idea brings an other one.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. May. 06, 2012 4:08 pm

YEA, YEA, she's pretty---let's find out how she works. :nana:

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Sun. May. 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Had a pre-war (pre civil war?) apartment in NYC (Ft Greene, Brooklyn) with a small fireplace. That stove/insert would fit perfectly in it. When I had the apartment the lease specified that the fireplace was "decorative only" and the flue was plugged. The clay tiles in the flue looked to be about 4 or 5 inches square with no damper or smoke shelf.

KaptJaq

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 06, 2012 6:11 pm

freetown fred wrote:YEA, YEA, she's pretty---let's find out how she works. :nana:
Fred, like you should know, the antique stoves are just like us (well both of us for the antique side :lol:), they work well (like all of us :lol:).

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. May. 06, 2012 6:15 pm

It's the replacement for the VigII!!?? The avatar fade is explained. Looks as though it should fit into your cheminée faux and integrate into your current heat distribution system.

Tease!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 06, 2012 6:18 pm

KaptJaq wrote:Had a pre-war (pre civil war?) apartment in NYC (Ft Greene, Brooklyn) with a small fireplace. That stove/insert would fit perfectly in it. When I had the apartment the lease specified that the fireplace was "decorative only" and the flue was plugged. The clay tiles in the flue looked to be about 4 or 5 inches square with no damper or smoke shelf.

KaptJaq
KaptJaq, I looked for about more than 6 months to find one so ........but I could take your app. for a few days in NYC. I could bring a poster from the stove and place it in front of the fireplace to pay my "séjour" in your place :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 06, 2012 6:23 pm

VigIIPeaBurner wrote:It's the replacement for the VigII!!?? The avatar fade is explained. Looks as though it should fit into your cheminée faux and integrate into your current heat distribution system.

Tease!
Vigll, you got it.
I will never forget the V2. That stove made me discover all about ant and it's secrets. I will sell it as is or if the buyer wants it like originally, I get all the parts to make it as new. Now the "new" 1874 Heater has a big challenge on it's shoulders.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Some more photos. Unload the stove was very easy with this equipment.

Attachments

DSC04394.JPG
.JPG | 110.7KB | DSC04394.JPG
DSC04395.JPG
.JPG | 120.1KB | DSC04395.JPG
DSC04396.JPG
.JPG | 126.5KB | DSC04396.JPG
DSC04397.JPG
.JPG | 147.8KB | DSC04397.JPG
DSC04398.JPG
.JPG | 138.8KB | DSC04398.JPG
DSC04399.JPG
.JPG | 126.9KB | DSC04399.JPG
DSC04400.JPG
.JPG | 128.6KB | DSC04400.JPG

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 06, 2012 6:32 pm

And to the house.

Attachments

DSC04401.JPG
.JPG | 105.7KB | DSC04401.JPG
DSC04402.JPG
.JPG | 104.4KB | DSC04402.JPG
DSC04403.JPG
.JPG | 91.6KB | DSC04403.JPG
DSC04404.JPG
.JPG | 91.8KB | DSC04404.JPG

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sun. May. 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Nortcan, are you sure you built that dolly heavy enough? Looks like you could put the house around the new stove with that. :shock: :lol: Great looking stove you have there, best of luck with it.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. May. 06, 2012 9:47 pm

samhill wrote:Nortcan, are you sure you built that dolly heavy enough? Looks like you could put the house around the new stove with that. :shock: :lol: Great looking stove you have there, best of luck with it.
Thanks samhill.
Funny for the dolly. I made it a few years ago and when my wife saw it she told me: are you creasy? Why so many wheels? In fact I bought these weels in packs and I decided to use all of them, I told to myself that if the dolly has more weels, the load on each weel will be less and it will be easier to work it with heavy loads. And it is.
These weels were for movig a Skidoo in a garage...

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. May. 07, 2012 2:32 am

nortcan wrote:
buck24 wrote:nortcan..... Another work of art. She is a real beauty. The craftsmanship of that stove is unique. Hope she does well for you. Good luck with her.
Thanks buck24.
I saw many Windsor inserts and it was simple to see how they were working but this one is a little different and I will see when the stove will be inside of the home.
They sit right on the floor tiles and are very low, so the tile base should be rised to get an easier access to the ash pan and shaker handle.
Anyway help is always here on the forum and I always appreciate the comments and suggestions. Very often an idea brings an other one.
It is a common misnomer to call these, "Windsor Stoves." It is the arched style of the frame that makes it Windsor. Windsor was a paticular style of design from the mid victorian era. There is also a Windsor style from the 18th Century, however; it is different than the Victorian style of the same name. The most common item in this style is the spindle chairs with a round top. You have, "Windsor," chairs, sofas and tables. You can have, "Windsor," style windows and doors in the house.
The true name for these kinds of stoves is, "Latrobe." It is a Latrobe Stove, named after the man who invented and patented the first one. He was one of the famous Baltimore Latrobes who were Architects under Jefferson. They were instrumental in re building the Capital after the British burned it down in the War Of 1812. The Latrobes were involved in many other big projects like building the B&O Railroad and putting in water and sewer systems in Baltimore and other East Coast Cities.
So you have a Latrobe Heater or the common name for it is a, "Baltimore Heater," since Latrobe lived in Baltimore and sold many of these stoves there.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. May. 07, 2012 9:47 am

Congratulations Pierre !! That insert is a BEAUTY !! What a find.. it looks like it's new, never used.. We need MANY more photos.. Like one of the grates? Do they even have any ash on them?
A pic of the ashpan door open, and ashpan.. Is the area around or on each side of the ashpan heated?? I don't see any lower 'base' to be heated, and it's
on the floor anyway, no need to heat the bricks under the stove..
But look at all the vents, panels, passageways etc on the sides and back of the stove !! :shock: WOW, this stove is complicated !!

And the two levers you show in the picture of the patented 1870 casting.. what's the second lever on the left??

This is going to be fun.. are you going to disassemble it and take photos and make drawings of all the passageways, doors, vents, and hidden ducts
in the stove ?? I sure hope so !!

Would you measure from the floor to the top of the flue exit? I'm wondering if this stove would fit in a 15-16" high opening,, it looks like about 34-35" :(

Great find !!

Greg L

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”