A Sunny Side ?

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 1:57 pm

carlherrnstein wrote:The popping could just be the coal on the outside of the peices expanding faster that the center and braking off. I wouldent think there would be many pores in the coal that would hold water.
That's what I think too, especially with large stove sized pieces.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 3:03 pm

A better explanation.
Moisture
Moisture is an important property of coal, as all coals are mined wet. Groundwater and other extraneous moisture is known as adventitious moisture and is readily evaporated. Moisture held within the coal itself is known as inherent moisture and is analyzed. Moisture may occur in four possible forms within coal:
Surface moisture: water held on the surface of coal particles or macerals
Hydroscopic moisture: water held by capillary action within the microfractures of the coal
Decomposition moisture: water held within the coal’s decomposed organic compounds
Mineral moisture: water which comprises part of the crystal structure of hydrous silicates such as clays.

http://majarimagazine.com/2008/06/understanding-c ... -analysis/

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Nov. 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Very interesting. I will see how the stove size works with some more drying days.
Thanks all.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 8:47 am

Pierre,

Can't hurt to try it but I will say, like most and maybe more then other sizes the stove like a deep bed. This helps with the recovery time of a large reload. I sometimes find myself walking by the stove, stopping and poking the middle and throwing a scoop on inbetween the usual 12hrs. This just helps with a faster recovery after a proper shakedown Ithink.

The magazine option would probably help (for me) as the coal would already be hot when you shook the stove. I may try and fab one up and see. DJ gave me the dimensions.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sun. Nov. 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Steve, what I do now is toping the nut with a "few pieces of sove" on it. No need for a shovel to do so :)
I will see if the modifs on the grate helps for the center of the grate clearing. Except for the less ash from the center of the grate, that stove works very well. Maybe due to the ""enclosed"" set up, the stove gives more heat to the entire house than the V2, that according to my notes from previous heat output, ant pound/day, house temp.
Viva American Antique Stoves :) according to the small cat :!:

Attachments

DSC05536.JPG
.JPG | 96.5KB | DSC05536.JPG

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Fri. Dec. 14, 2012 6:46 pm

Back here again but near the end :!:
I found this to improve the warm air circulation in the house. They work 24/24, no noise, no electricity :lol:
It was hanged on a customer's garage wall. Very rusty when I got it but the guy gave it to me soooo :roll:

Attachments

DSC05540.JPG

New air handler

.JPG | 154.4KB | DSC05540.JPG
DSC05551.JPG
.JPG | 104.1KB | DSC05551.JPG

echos67

Post by echos67 » Fri. Dec. 14, 2012 7:28 pm

That stove is simply amazing Pierre :notworthy: :notworthy:

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Fri. Dec. 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Really nice Pierre! That looks excellent! Fits the stove and the hearth perfectly.

firebug
Baseburners & Antiques: Felix 141 by Ludwigshütte, Germany (1914)
Coal Size/Type: Lignite Briquettes, Anthracite
Other Heating: natural gas hydronic heating

Post by firebug » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 3:49 am

My admiration, M.Pierre!
The entire thing is very tasteful - but I really LOVE how you have continued the chrome rail of the stove on the sides of the wire frames :up:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 8:43 am

echos67 wrote:That stove is simply amazing Pierre :notworthy: :notworthy:
Thanks keith.
In fact I think that it's maybe too much amazing :?: the reason is because the stove for a ??? reasons seems to be too much performant :D . I look back many times in my heating book to compare this heating season to last year one and the Sunny gives me more heat in the house than the Vigll did. Probably the convection system sending most warm air at the back and the base burner syst. also working at the back bottom of the stove, the back of the stove is where the basement air handler pulls the warm air and send it in the basement where the central air handler continues the warm air distribution in all the house rooms.
I seriously think that I will have to let the Golden dies for a few time. This morning was -14*C outside and 24*C in the house sooooooo

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 8:54 am

SteveZee wrote:Really nice Pierre! That looks excellent! Fits the stove and the hearth perfectly.
Thanks Steve.
I looked for something for a long time but found nothing that could fit there. My wife told me so many times that before I put the things around the stove : all is correct and there are so many details on the stove, you must not add anymore gadget...but when she saw the angels in place, it was all-right.
It was having 4 hooks at the bottom for hanging what????. I removet the hooks and put rivets in the holes, painted...but no sand blasting this time :D
""Probably"" the last work on the hearth :roll:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 9:01 am

firebug wrote:My admiration, M.Pierre!
The entire thing is very tasteful - but I really LOVE how you have continued the chrome rail of the stove on the sides of the wire frames :up:
Thank you my far away friend.
For the all around addictions, that was a continious ""war"" with my wife. She was always saying that I must not put so many things around a stove having so much details...you see the picture :mad: But now the peace and love are back again around the hearth :)
How are you doing there with your stove?

firebug
Baseburners & Antiques: Felix 141 by Ludwigshütte, Germany (1914)
Coal Size/Type: Lignite Briquettes, Anthracite
Other Heating: natural gas hydronic heating

Post by firebug » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 11:14 am

Doing very well with the Felix.... still don´t have a thermometer but stick to my Grandmother´s heating-instrucions and get 12-14hr burns out of 12lbs of briquettes. But need more glossy brochures to put on top of the coals - can´t wait for saturdays newspaper to come because that is always packed with tons of glossy advertisement brochures! How much I hated it for the same reason just a couple of months ago! :lol:

buck24
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Post by buck24 » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Nortcan..... Glad to see that the Sunny Side is doing so well. But... one thing... When you are talking about temperatures could you please change celsius to fahrenheit. Down here I 'm not used to that type of heat measurment and I don't want to spend all weekend trying to figure it out. :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 4:02 pm

buck24 wrote:Nortcan..... Glad to see that the Sunny Side is doing so well. But... one thing... When you are talking about temperatures could you please change celsius to fahrenheit. Down here I 'm not used to that type of heat measurment and I don't want to spend all weekend trying to figure it out. :lol:
Thanks buck24.
Sorry for the temp. -14*c = 7*F (about)
24*C = 73*F(about)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”