A Sunny Side ?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Aug. 27, 2012 8:39 pm

With the feeling you have for the old stoves and different styles I am sure you got a lot of pleasure just savoring it as you restored it. You are getting more than your money's worth.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Mon. Aug. 27, 2012 9:16 pm

franco b wrote:With the feeling you have for the old stoves and different styles I am sure you got a lot of pleasure just savoring it as you restored it. You are getting more than your money's worth.
Yes franco :!: Restoring an antique stove is a great thing to do (well for me it is). Just getting an antique stove, with 100 yrs + on it, back to life is a nice pay back.
I enjoyed working on the Vigll but working on the Sunny is completly different. For someone just beginning to ""play"" with antique stoves, a less complicated stove is the best choice to make, or have it restored from a ""really"" ""honest"" and ""experienced"" person could be a good choice.
New stoves and antique stoves are 2 different worlds. But both can keep you warm :)
But again, I hope that the Sunnyside will be a good stove, not many stoves have a 4" exit connector and not many peoples have a Base Burner/ Baltimore Heater Insert, but we will see. Anyways the Vigll is not sold yet soooooooooooo :D

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Mon. Aug. 27, 2012 11:34 pm

nortcan wrote:
franco b wrote:With the feeling you have for the old stoves and different styles I am sure you got a lot of pleasure just savoring it as you restored it. You are getting more than your money's worth.
Yes franco :!: Restoring an antique stove is a great thing to do (well for me it is). Just getting an antique stove, with 100 yrs + on it, back to life is a nice pay back.
I enjoyed working on the Vigll but working on the Sunny is completly different. For someone just beginning to ""play"" with antique stoves, a less complicated stove is the best choice to make, or have it restored from a ""really"" ""honest"" and ""experienced"" person could be a good choice.
New stoves and antique stoves are 2 different worlds. But both can keep you warm :)
But again, I hope that the Sunnyside will be a good stove, not many stoves have a 4" exit connector and not many peoples have a Base Burner/ Baltimore Heater Insert, but we will see. Anyways the Vigll is not sold yet soooooooooooo :D
That Baltimore heater is going to impress you. It is a big, high powered stove put in a small package. It has a lot more heating power than the vigilant does. You know how much heat the small bride can put out, well, just wait. Remember, it will be just like the bride in that you must learn how it operates and it will take a little while to get the hang of it. After that, you will not look back.

SteveZee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Post by SteveZee » Tue. Aug. 28, 2012 7:48 am

Pierre, The other thing is the ascetics of the Sunnyside. As you mentioned, it is quite unique and really looks it too. I mean think of it! How many people do you know that has one that heats their home? My answer is one, You!
I wouldn't be all that concerned about the 4" exhaust collar. If it was wood, it might give me pause but even then the smaller size will only move the exhaust faster through that part, (Bernoulli's principal).
My Glenwood cookstove has a 6" but the Modern Oak 116 is a 5" which is the same as the much smaller Star Herald was. I would have though it was a 6" but the pipes don't lie ;) . I could have used the pipes off the Herald actually, (I did use the one 90° elbow) but I bought new pipes :P just because I thought I could do a better job this time. :lol: I also (of course) used my antique 5" pipe damper. :D

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Aug. 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks William, that helps me to continue the restoration job.
The way the Baltimore Heater is made is a nice work from the old timers who imaginated these stoves. Every time I work on it I imagine how they were ingenious to be able to make that with the simple/basic tools they had then. They were very :idea:
Last edited by nortcan on Tue. Aug. 28, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Aug. 28, 2012 12:48 pm

SteveZee wrote:Pierre, The other thing is the ascetics of the Sunnyside. As you mentioned, it is quite unique and really looks it too. I mean think of it! How many people do you know that has one that heats their home? My answer is one, You!
I wouldn't be all that concerned about the 4" exhaust collar. If it was wood, it might give me pause but even then the smaller size will only move the exhaust faster through that part, (Bernoulli's principal).
My Glenwood cookstove has a 6" but the Modern Oak 116 is a 5" which is the same as the much smaller Star Herald was. I would have though it was a 6" but the pipes don't lie ;) . I could have used the pipes off the Herald actually, (I did use the one 90° elbow) but I bought new pipes :P just because I thought I could do a better job this time. :lol: I also (of course) used my antique 5" pipe damper. :D
Thanks Steve, long time ago, so before William ""contaminated"" (on the good side of the word) me about Antique stoves, I woudn't even had a look at these old black things. I had a brand new Vermont C, so I was top notch equipped... But now, with a ""little evolution"" :D and experience with the Bride (stove), I can say that if someone wants an ant. stove, a very good thing to do is to ""study"" these Antique stoves. The look is good and the art found in the construction, functions are really something to learn.
But I respect the modern stoves...Some like a Ford (I do) and some like..............As long as it gives us what we expect from it, it's OK.

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Aug. 28, 2012 4:30 pm

nortcan wrote:
SteveZee wrote:Pierre, The other thing is the ascetics of the Sunnyside. As you mentioned, it is quite unique and really looks it too. I mean think of it! How many people do you know that has one that heats their home? My answer is one, You!
Thanks Steve, long time ago, so before William ""contaminated"" (on the good side of the word) me about Antique stoves, I woudn't even had a look at these old black things. I had a brand new Vermont C, so I was top notch equipped... But now, with a ""little evolution"" :D and experience with the Bride (stove), I can say that if someone wants an ant. stove, a very good thing to do is to ""study"" these Antique stoves. The look is good and the art found in the construction, functions are really something to learn.
But I respect the modern stoves...Some like a Ford (I do) and some like..............As long as it gives us what we expect from it, it's OK.
If all you ever had to eat was a fried Bologna Sandwich on white bread, then you would be satisfied with it, that is until you ate Filet Mignon for the first time. After that the Bologna Sandwich would not be quite as satisfying.

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Aug. 28, 2012 7:44 pm

William, being vegetarian for more than 35 Yrs, I find the comparaison very hard on me :lol: :D :lol:
But it's a real comparaison!

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 2:51 pm

Day two for the Sunny re-assembly. Will need one or two more to finish the job, well I hope so :?:

Attachments

DSC05115.JPG

Oups, a rope gasket?

.JPG | 85.7KB | DSC05115.JPG
DSC05113.JPG

Begins to look like a stove

.JPG | 85.5KB | DSC05113.JPG

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Wed. Aug. 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Wow, that is really looking stunning Pierre! Excellent work! Must be all those vegetables :D

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 11:54 am

SteveZee wrote:Wow, that is really looking stunning Pierre! Excellent work! Must be all those vegetables :D
Thanks Steve for the stove... But don't provoke me for the veg..., I run away very fast :lol:

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 12:01 pm

Finall I worked a ""little"" later yesterday nite :shock:
So here is the rest of the restoration job, 99% finished. :partyhat:

Attachments

DSC05121.JPG

liner in place

.JPG | 111.3KB | DSC05121.JPG
DSC05127.JPG
.JPG | 89.4KB | DSC05127.JPG
DSC05129.JPG

Air tight connectors

.JPG | 93.8KB | DSC05129.JPG
DSC05136.JPG
.JPG | 111.5KB | DSC05136.JPG
DSC05139.JPG

Finally done!

.JPG | 104.4KB | DSC05139.JPG

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 1:00 pm

No isinglass?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 2:16 pm

Wow! That stove is really intricate. It's going to take all winter to evaluate with the different controls, and you are the best man to do it. Really looking forward to your comments and insights.

The vegetarian diet I think has been well established as the healthiest apart from any moral benefit which surely exists also.

SteveZee

Post by SteveZee » Thu. Aug. 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Pierre, Wow that is just stunning! Really came out spectacular! What's left, just the mica's and installation?

I agree Richard, that the veg diet is probably the healthiest for people although I for one cannot bring myself to actually do it totally. I do grow a decent sized veg garden every year and love to eat out of it like I am now. My problem is that I love to cook and eat. It's the only "vice" I have left ;) I haven't smoked for quite a while and never really did allot and I hardly ever drink any more. A cold beer once in a while and a nice wine with dinner, is hard to forgo. My "philosophy" is everything in moderation and not too much of any one thing. :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”