Who's Still in the One Match Club?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 9:42 pm

maybe by next year you can simplify your definition to what I posted above yours. :clap: toothy KISS

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 4:14 am

I lost my chance at the first match club in the first couple weeks of burning. I got lazy and missed a shake down under low draft conditions and the fire snuffed itself out. As a 4th year burner I certainly can't take a mulligan. I have only made the 1 match club one year. I like the strict definition of the one match club. If exceptions are made the pride of being in the club becomes less.

On the other hand we don't want to dammage anyone's self asteam or make anyone feel excluded so maybe we should define the one match club as anyone who has tried to keep the fire going all season or anyone who planned to keep the fire going all season, or anyone who wishes they had kept the fire going all season. Then we could all get together and light luminaries and sing " We are Family" and "I want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony". :P

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 6:41 am

freetown fred wrote:maybe by next year you can simplify your definition to what I posted above yours. :clap: toothy KISS
Oh yeah, the Hillbilly stripped down simplified for Dummies version lol! I do like yours better. Trouble is that it leaves room for those left wingers to light up with a propane torch instead of a second match ha ha ha!!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 7:06 am

OK, I'll conceed to the cheaters propane trick. Damn libbers. Sad but good point. ;) TRIED,PLANNED,WISHES--you da man Grizz. toothy

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 12:11 pm

freetown fred wrote:OK, I'll concede to the cheaters propane trick.
But to light my propane torch, I first have to go borrow one from my neighbor across the street, because my torch is no damned good. Then I use a match to light a rolled-up piece of paper, then I use the paper to light a candle, then I use the candle to light the torch, then I use the torch to light a magnesium flare which I carry through the house like the Statue of Liberty and bury in the middle of the coal bed. So I don't think the match should count at all.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 1:12 pm

Now, for a fact. Only a dem. could come up with all that to explain lighting a match. Talk about spreadin the wealth. :bang: toothy

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Looks like the latter part of this week could prove a little tricky with the weather forecast.......

kstills
Stoker Coal Boiler: WL 110

Post by kstills » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 1:35 pm

I've only ever used one match to relight the fire.

Sheesh.

:P

Resolute0058

Post by Resolute0058 » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 3:18 pm

i guess I'll never make it into this club. week long vacation keeps the fire out during new years each year. last year though I only had 2 fires from the beginning to end of the season. that never went out until they were left to die in December and April.

the heck with this year though. quite a few days I just kept it out and left the heat off and we stayed plenty warm. Last year, you could at least count on it being properly cold and a keeping a solid draft.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 3:32 pm

yea, but you'll always be an important part of this coal burnin family. ;)

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 5:19 pm

Well not in the one match club but more in the first year and still burnin club. Lost the fire maybe 2 or 3 times. Twice by my own overabundant shakin and once by a boulder the local coal yard let me have which jammed up my grates. But hell not bad I would think, had the fire goin since end of September. Burned a good 4 tons but cant beat 72-75 and warm floors. :flex:

jkabdoors

Post by jkabdoors » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi everyone thought I was in, but Mrs. know it all told me that after we had our l.l. pocono installed in november went out 1 time from me not leaving well enough alone. does 1 match and her burning pot roast as a match count? Women they are always ______!!!!!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 5:35 pm

NAAAHHH, you were doin good till you threw the pot roast part in. :no1: toothy

jkabdoors

Post by jkabdoors » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 5:39 pm

i new you would put your 2 cents in. and I like it thanks just joking about the roast, but we did loose it because of a boy with a new toy

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Lightning wrote:I guess apparently we need a defintion of the one match club lol :idea:
Heres what I've come up with -

One Match Club : /noun/ A group of supreme beings who have maintained the same fire which was started at the beginning of the heating season. This fire must never have become completely extinguished, purposely or accidently. Any means taken to revive a dying or nearly dead fire, weather it be CPR, draft induction, wood kindled back to life is acceptable. Please don't throw kerosene on it though. :shock: The heating season usuaully, but not always, spans from mid October to mid April, depending on location..

There.. Simple and to the point.. Feel free to elaborate :P
Maybe next year I can be one of the elite few :notworthy:
That, is a pretty darn good definition. But as it stands, I. Took myself out of the club when I shut down to change the gaskets.

But I fired up for the Halloween snowstorm.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”