DS Machine Vs Hitzer

Modern and vintage hand fired coal stove are similar to a wood stove and in some cases can burn either. They need to be regulated and fed by hand usually every 12 to 24 hours depending on your usage. They require no power to operate making them ideal for rural settings with long power outages.
fishey
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun. Dec. 12, 2010 9:12 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 55
Location: derby ny

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 1:26 pm

whitch stove do you like better ds1500wh or hitzer 50 95 and why

Visit Hitzer Stoves

bksaun
Member
Posts: 966
Joined: Sat. Oct. 28, 2006 9:24 am
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid, Gentleman Janitor GJ-6RSU/ EFM 700
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Pea Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer/ EFM-Gentleman Janitor
Stove/Furnace Model: 503 Insert/ 700/GJ-62
Location: Hustonville, Ky

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 1:32 pm

I prefer the Hitzer, A friend has a DS 1500 and the main door warped when his wife left the the ash door open to long. The doors on a Hitzer are much heavier, I have never seen one warp.

I do like the air controls on the DS stover though.

Both are good stoves, you would probably like either one.

Bk
"Corn Stoves", It is morally wrong to burn something you can make into Whiskey!

BK

User avatar
freetown fred
Member
Posts: 21405
Joined: Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 12:33 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut
Location: Freetown,NY 13803

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 1:36 pm

What's your set-up--what are you wanting/looking to do with either--how big is your house--you gonna tie into existing duct work, basement or living area???????
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

User avatar
Coalfire
Member
Posts: 1029
Joined: Mon. Nov. 23, 2009 8:28 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Location: Denver, PA

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 2:31 pm

both fine stoves, I have a DS but I would run a hitzer. I think all the big name stoves are well built.

Eric

User avatar
oliver power
Member
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun. Apr. 16, 2006 9:28 am
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II), D.S. 1600 Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Location: Near Dansville, NY

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I have HITZER's. GREAT stoves..........I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. That being said, I may try a DS in the shop, after I add the addition on. I think the 30-95 might be a little small after the addition. My mother is useing my 50-93. Wouldn't take it from her. So, I'm going to play with a DS Machine. To answer your question; Both are good. I'd just like to play with a new toy. Oliver

User avatar
freetown fred
Member
Posts: 21405
Joined: Thu. Dec. 31, 2009 12:33 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut
Location: Freetown,NY 13803

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 4:32 pm

top right search bar--type--hitzer 50-93 compared to ds machine 1500---hit search???
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

User avatar
lsayre
Member
Posts: 12184
Joined: Wed. Nov. 23, 2005 9:17 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW)
Location: N/E Ohio, between Medina and Wadsworth

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Does the Hitzer 50-93 have an adjustable bimetalic damper on the air inlet?
-Larry

Democracy rests upon the principle that collective wisdom arises from a pool of individual ignorance. A Republic rests squarely upon objective law, and fundamentally upon those laws which restrict the scope and actions of government.

User avatar
SteveZee
Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Wed. May. 11, 2011 10:45 am
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range
Location: Downeast , Maine

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 6:46 pm

lsayre wrote:Does the Hitzer 50-93 have an adjustable bimetalic damper on the air inlet?
Yep they both have them.
I think they are both great stoves as modern stoves go. That said, I would not hold it against the DS Machine for warping if someone over fired it big time. I think they are equally pretty good so the deal maker for me (if I was going to buy one) would be price.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

CapeCoaler
Member
Posts: 4423
Joined: Sun. Feb. 10, 2008 3:48 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove
Location: Cape Cod, MA

Post Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 7:16 pm

If you are going fanless...
Might lean for the DS with the tubes...
As others have said both are great stoves...
Ask Amos and Dean how they run with Bit...
Then it comes down to looks and price...
I am not an engineer, train or otherwise!
I stay at a Holiday Inn at least once a year!
Most of all I do have common sense and a practical application of logic.
Oh, add humor, on the dry side, along with a wee bit 'o sarcasm.

User avatar
oliver power
Member
Posts: 2266
Joined: Sun. Apr. 16, 2006 9:28 am
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II), D.S. 1600 Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Location: Near Dansville, NY

Post Wed. Feb. 15, 2012 12:10 am

CapeCoaler wrote:If you are going fanless...
Might lean for the DS with the tubes...
As others have said both are great stoves...
Ask Amos and Dean how they run with Bit...
Then it comes down to looks and price...
Yes CapeCoaler, That's the style I'm thinking of for bigger shop. The tube style (No Fan). Should I decide to buy another HITZER, it'd be another 50-93. The 50-93 is a good solid prooven performer. And it's smaller dual squirrell cage fan is much quieter than most.

User avatar
Rex
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu. Apr. 12, 2007 11:25 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S. Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: Circulator 1500
Location: Indiana

Post Wed. Feb. 15, 2012 5:13 pm

We have owned both the 50 93 and the DS 1500 circulator. We first purchased a used 50 93 that was built in 1993. We used the Hitzer for 5 years before purchasing a new DS 1500 circulator which we are currently using in our first year. We burn 3 to 4 ton a year.

First, both units are built like a tank and are excellent quality. I had to rebuild the Hitzer with a new hopper ring and replaced the inner steel frame that held the bricks into position when we first purchased the Hitzer. Remember we purchased the Hitzer used so it had many years of usage. I can't say enough by the service received from Hitzer. Excellent customer support and easy to order replacement items.

So now the comparisons. Remember we are only half way into our first year using the DS Circulator so obviously nothing has gone wrong with the stove or know of its true durability. I can only assume by the other users in this form, I'll have many years of solid performance yet to come. The DS Circulator seems more air tight. Without getting into a discussion over dampers, the DS Circulator holds its temp more steadily in windy conditions. This might be different with other users and chimney styles, etc, but something I observed. Also I feel the Hitzer had more steel inside its firebox, but nothing that couldn't be replaced as I pointed out. Maybe its the style of grates, but the DS Circultor burns the coal more completely between my 12hr shakes, meaning more ash and less coal in the pan. I like the ash pan better on the DS Circulator plus I had the DS company customize a lid that I place over the ash pan. This helps when I walk in the living room with the ash pan and no longer get dust kicked up from the pan while walking. The DS Circulator has a tendency to have more puff backs after a shakedown. This was a bit scary at first but now know how to control this, thanks to this forum. Now after each shakedown I crack the door a bit until the blue flame appears. I never experienced puff backs with the Hitzer, maybe because the DS Circulator has a more airtight firebox.

Good luck! You will be pleased with your decision.

User avatar
Jersey John
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu. Aug. 17, 2006 2:45 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 1500
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Regency Wood Stove
Location: Oak Ridge, New Jersey
Contact:

Post Tue. Sep. 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Rex wrote:We have owned both the 50 93 and the DS 1500 circulator. We first purchased a used 50 93 that was built in 1993. We used the Hitzer for 5 years before purchasing a new DS 1500 circulator which we are currently using in our first year. We burn 3 to 4 ton a year.

First, both units are built like a tank and are excellent quality. I had to rebuild the Hitzer with a new hopper ring and replaced the inner steel frame that held the bricks into position when we first purchased the Hitzer. Remember we purchased the Hitzer used so it had many years of usage. I can't say enough by the service received from Hitzer. Excellent customer support and easy to order replacement items.

So now the comparisons. Remember we are only half way into our first year using the DS Circulator so obviously nothing has gone wrong with the stove or know of its true durability. I can only assume by the other users in this form, I'll have many years of solid performance yet to come. The DS Circulator seems more air tight. Without getting into a discussion over dampers, the DS Circulator holds its temp more steadily in windy conditions. This might be different with other users and chimney styles, etc, but something I observed. Also I feel the Hitzer had more steel inside its firebox, but nothing that couldn't be replaced as I pointed out. Maybe its the style of grates, but the DS Circultor burns the coal more completely between my 12hr shakes, meaning more ash and less coal in the pan. I like the ash pan better on the DS Circulator plus I had the DS company customize a lid that I place over the ash pan. This helps when I walk in the living room with the ash pan and no longer get dust kicked up from the pan while walking. The DS Circulator has a tendency to have more puff backs after a shakedown. This was a bit scary at first but now know how to control this, thanks to this forum. Now after each shakedown I crack the door a bit until the blue flame appears. I never experienced puff backs with the Hitzer, maybe because the DS Circulator has a more airtight firebox.

Good luck! You will be pleased with your decision.
With the intent on purchasing a non blower radiant stove, I've mainly focused on the 50-93. While shopping for a fair price, just found a dealer willing to deliver to my home for less than anyone else in the area including Lehmann who had the best price prior to talking to this dealer. With tax, the price of the radiant then is $1643 delivered to my home.

However, with the posts above, recommending the DS 1500 if you're going with a non blower stove, I'm intrigued to learn more. Never knew the D S Machines existed until last week while visiting a local Coal supplier who also carries both stoves and a handful of stokers. Though I didn't particularly care for the wire sides, I found the stove design to be pleasing enough, and since it's going into a basement, not really an issue. As for the circulating tubes....they simply make a lot of sense! Add to that the fact that they're Amish made and have a solid reputation, I'm very interested.

So, since you were 1/2 way into your season with your last post, wanted to know your impression after a full season of heating with the DS 1500, which I can purchase locally for $1499.00 plus tax. I've been quite connected to Hitzer having started a long running thread back in 2007, but am simply looking for the best stove for my money, as well as one that does not rely on electricity for it's optimum output.

Look forward to your reply.

User avatar
ridgeracing
Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 8:59 pm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine Stove
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: DS1600WH
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Post Tue. Sep. 17, 2013 9:22 pm

I purchaced a DS1600WH last November, fired it up and ran flawlesly till end of March shut down (2 and a half ton of nut). I am fairly new to coal but I ran it low for 48hrs unattended and it looked like I could have gone another 24hrs unattended. But for most of winter I shook it down every 12hrs and toped it off as well. Never a problem going 24hrs without shaking and topping off. Used about 40-50lbs in a 24hr period on average. The hopper works great

crocker
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon. Nov. 23, 2009 7:23 am

Post Sun. Sep. 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Although I don't have a model 1500 DS circulator ,I have owned a DS model 1300 circulator and I am going on my 6th season with it, the 1300 is just a smaller model stove about 1/2 the BTU rating of the 1500. it has been flawless to say the least, after 5 yrs I am now replacing the top load door gasket and the glass front door gasket ,the ash pan door gasket is still in good shape other then that . and cleaning the stove after the season that is all I have had to do. I have to also add there customer service and parts pricing is second to none, after every season I take the doors off to clean everything good ,and when taking the glass out of the door last spring to give a good cleaning I dropped and cracked the glass , I got on the phone with DS machine that afternoon to order a new glass and when I tried to pay with my credit card ,I was told not to worry when you get your part order there will be a invoice you can send a check then. I have to say I cant remember the last time I ordered something with out paying before shipment. and by the next day I received my glass ,I do live in the same state as DS but not that close. So I have to say they seem to make a very well built stove with great customer service and very reasonable parts pricing on replacement parts.

User avatar
Rex
Member
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu. Apr. 12, 2007 11:25 pm
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S. Machine
Stove/Furnace Model: Circulator 1500
Location: Indiana

Post Mon. Sep. 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi Jersey John,

So entering now into our almost 2nd year with the DS 1500, we are still happy with the DS 1500. Maybe its the lack of extream colder temps, but it does seem to be saving me in coal in the long run. Like mentioning before, I feel its more airtight and controls the fire better in wind conditions. I also now can say we are very pleased with low burn temps. The unit can burn well in the early fall and late spring without issue, meaning it seems as though I can burn lower temps in the DS than when we had the 50-93. Maybe because the DS is more air tight that allows this. I felt the same as you regarding the side screens. Now its not even an issue or concern, as I like how it does protect little hands from accidently direct touching the sides to this stove.

The ash does miss the pan on the right side a bit. No real biggie, just an additional cleanup maybe once a month or so. The glass also stays cleaner over a longer period of time.

Good luck!! Have you made your decision.

Rex
Jersey John wrote:
Rex wrote:We have owned both the 50 93 and the DS 1500 circulator. We first purchased a used 50 93 that was built in 1993. We used the Hitzer for 5 years before purchasing a new DS 1500 circulator which we are currently using in our first year. We burn 3 to 4 ton a year.

First, both units are built like a tank and are excellent quality. I had to rebuild the Hitzer with a new hopper ring and replaced the inner steel frame that held the bricks into position when we first purchased the Hitzer. Remember we purchased the Hitzer used so it had many years of usage. I can't say enough by the service received from Hitzer. Excellent customer support and easy to order replacement items.

So now the comparisons. Remember we are only half way into our first year using the DS Circulator so obviously nothing has gone wrong with the stove or know of its true durability. I can only assume by the other users in this form, I'll have many years of solid performance yet to come. The DS Circulator seems more air tight. Without getting into a discussion over dampers, the DS Circulator holds its temp more steadily in windy conditions. This might be different with other users and chimney styles, etc, but something I observed. Also I feel the Hitzer had more steel inside its firebox, but nothing that couldn't be replaced as I pointed out. Maybe its the style of grates, but the DS Circultor burns the coal more completely between my 12hr shakes, meaning more ash and less coal in the pan. I like the ash pan better on the DS Circulator plus I had the DS company customize a lid that I place over the ash pan. This helps when I walk in the living room with the ash pan and no longer get dust kicked up from the pan while walking. The DS Circulator has a tendency to have more puff backs after a shakedown. This was a bit scary at first but now know how to control this, thanks to this forum. Now after each shakedown I crack the door a bit until the blue flame appears. I never experienced puff backs with the Hitzer, maybe because the DS Circulator has a more airtight firebox.

Good luck! You will be pleased with your decision.
With the intent on purchasing a non blower radiant stove, I've mainly focused on the 50-93. While shopping for a fair price, just found a dealer willing to deliver to my home for less than anyone else in the area including Lehmann who had the best price prior to talking to this dealer. With tax, the price of the radiant then is $1643 delivered to my home.

However, with the posts above, recommending the DS 1500 if you're going with a non blower stove, I'm intrigued to learn more. Never knew the D S Machines existed until last week while visiting a local Coal supplier who also carries both stoves and a handful of stokers. Though I didn't particularly care for the wire sides, I found the stove design to be pleasing enough, and since it's going into a basement, not really an issue. As for the circulating tubes....they simply make a lot of sense! Add to that the fact that they're Amish made and have a solid reputation, I'm very interested.

So, since you were 1/2 way into your season with your last post, wanted to know your impression after a full season of heating with the DS 1500, which I can purchase locally for $1499.00 plus tax. I've been quite connected to Hitzer having started a long running thread back in 2007, but am simply looking for the best stove for my money, as well as one that does not rely on electricity for it's optimum output.

Look forward to your reply.

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Post Reply

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”