Harman Door Gasket

chet

Post by chet » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 9:27 am

Well It's Sunday AM and I was going to start the MK II and my Gasket just about fell off the top door, with most stove places being closed, does anyone know it Home Depot or Lowes carry the door gasket kit, I guess I will need some kind of a cement.

thanks
Chet

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 9:31 am

Yep, Got mine at Lowes. They have a kit with the cement in it. Of course you will have to find it yourself. Afterall, it is Lowes.
Last edited by ktm rider on Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 9:32 am

I'm fairly sure they do, there is cement in a tube that is used to hold the gasket in place.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 9:35 am

ktm rider wrote:Yep, Got mine at Lowes. They have a kit with the cement in it. Of course you will have to find it yourself. Afterall, it is Lowes.
Sometimes I'd rather be left alone there, unless I can't find something, then I can't find any one to help me. I prefer HD. Actually I prefer the independent hardware store like my dad went to. Of course there was Channel Lumber and Rickel's and a strange place called Lumberama in NJ. All driven out by HD.

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 9:58 am

I have seen the gasket and cement at Lowes also. As for finding it yourself, I think you will have to do that at both Lowes and HD. I was at HD recently and ask where I could find the poly-tarps and the girl looked at me ,scrunched up her nose and said,"what is a poly-tarp" I said OK thank you!

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 10:15 am

While at Lowe's, where I seldom go, I asked one of the girls, where I might find "wainscoting". She thought for a couple of seconds and directed me to isle #5 (?). Off I go to isle #5, only to find myself in the paint isle.

If you know what "wainscoting" is, I believe you'll see the humor in this.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Nov. 18, 2007 10:25 am

Dallas wrote:While at Lowe's, where I seldom go, I asked one of the girls, where I might find "wainscoting". She thought for a couple of seconds and directed me to isle #5 (?). Off I go to isle #5, only to find myself in the paint isle.

If you know what "wainscoting" is, I believe you'll see the humor in this.
I guess she thought you wanted "Wayne's Coating".

chet

Post by chet » Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 5:31 pm

Well I finally go the door gasket at Lowes, it is around 5/8" dia, I put it on and HMMM WOW the door is a beast to close. I don't think my wife will handle it, is there other solutions, I tried a 1/8 shim under the hook on the stove and it will not seal, I will try to bend the hook later, but before I do that does anyone know if 1/2" dia gasket is available, the way I see it that the gap near the hinge is is much tighter than where the latch is, by the looks of it maybe 1/8", this stuff does not compress to easily, any solutions...........

thanks
Chet

Mastiffman

Post by Mastiffman » Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 6:03 pm

The gasket will flatten out in a day or two and the door should close fine.
I replaced mine with the Harman brand gasket material, and first try I never thought I was going to get it to closed. After it heated up and got a chance to set it's no problem at all.

Steve

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Hey chet Measure the width in the door channel that will tell you what size gasket you Harman should be 1/2 inch They
make 3/8- 1/2- 5/16- 3/4 -1 inch in Rope & flat white & Grey The Grey seems to hold up better for me anyway The rope will be used in stoves that have channel's in both doors The Flate will be used on stoker's /stoves or boiler's that do not have channel's in the doors

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”