Burn Time for A Full Stove

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 9:26 pm

When "Coal Season" began I was able to get relatively long burn times, When the stove was fully loaded before I went to bed (around 10 PM) there would still be a decent ember bed in the morning (around 6 AM). There was enough fire to shake and refill.

Since that time my total burn time has dropped off. Most mornings I find a small fire that I can coax back, some mornings I find the stove completely out, then I empty it completely and start over.

2 conditions have changed: 1) The outside temperature at night has been lower, sometimes below freezing, and 2) I had Blaschak coal on the top of the pile when I started out this year, now I am through that into coal of "unknown origin". I am suspicious that this coal is not as pure as Blaschak, which is good for strip coal. I noticed that I get a lot of ash now as well.

I had a resonable fire going when I left the house today around 10 AM, although the stove was not full. At 6 PM it was completely out.

I checked the draft which read -.06" WC, just as a test I reset it to -.05" WC. Harman recommends -.06 to -1.0"

Any suggestions or comments??

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Hey wood ncoal 1 I would try to get up here and get the good stuff I think the new coal as a lot to do with it
If you have to get a U Haul trailer for 19.99 they have twin Axl 6x12 you can put 2 tons easy on them but you need a few pieces of plywood to bulid up the Front back & sides I just took MT 2 weeks ago that is what he did And you need a tarp 2 when the temp drops use less air when the outside temp is high use more air I have more air in the day Then less air at night when outside temp is down always keep the fire box full of coal try it out I think you will be :D
http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail ... ailer-6x12

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 10:06 pm

Hey JC,

I had a feeling you would be the first response to my post. I believe you are right as well, after the experience I had with the really bad coal last year. I fired the stove tonight and it's been slow coming up.

At some point I'll be out there to get some real coal, $$$ is tight right now, I'll limp along, I'll have to pick up some more Blaschak to see me through, I e-mailed them for a list of dealers but I haven't heard back yet. I want to see if the price is lower then where I got it in Sciota.

Talk to you soon,

JC

Islander

Post by Islander » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 10:09 pm

Agreed, check the coal. When I started burning the first year, I used coal bagged in PA by some outfit. At the end of the season I found a couple of bags at the local hardware store, burned great. I've used the stuff for the last couple years, and it's great. The new stuff is bagged locally, much better quality, and almost no fines. It comes from an ice company, strangely enough. And I thought coal was coal.

jeromemsn
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker 90 dvc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman elite fireplace insert

Post by jeromemsn » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 10:32 pm

Hello, I just had to jump in on this. I have a Harman magnum elite insert same size bed as a magnum III I'm told, anyway I fill mine every 12 hours, shake grate every 12 hours, and empty ash every 24 hours. Coal Berner helped me get my ton and a half of nut coal and it's awesome stuff. I only have the air inlet at the front of the insert turned 3/4 of a turn. I have a magnetic temp gage on top and it never moves from 300 and has so far kept the whole house so warm that the bedroom window has stayed open everyday that it has been lit.
P.S. oil here today was 3.29 a gallon my neighbor said after he got up off the ground. :shock:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 10:33 pm

Ok wood ncoal I do not know How much Bagged coal you are Planning to buy But If it is around a ton 50 bags at 6.00 a bag
that's 300.00 a ton If you come up here You could buy two tons for 240.00 Plus add 20.00 for trailer plus gas you are 98 miles from me the breakers are 12 to 20 miles away from me depending on which one we goto so you would be still Double
your $$$ Just trying to save you money and headaches from getting bad coal :D

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 12:06 am

"Coal is not Coal"! Even back when the mines were working full time, here in "Coal Country", I can remember my father saying "that was a poor load of coal!". It would just lay there and not burn, nor make any heat.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 7:47 am

coal berner wrote:Ok wood ncoal I do not know How much Bagged coal you are Planning to buy But If it is around a ton 50 bags at 6.00 a bag
that's 300.00 a ton If you come up here You could buy two tons for 240.00 Plus add 20.00 for trailer plus gas you are 98 miles from me the breakers are 12 to 20 miles away from me depending on which one we goto so you would be still Double
your $$$ Just trying to save you money and headaches from getting bad coal :D
Yea, you are right. I just have to get my act together and make the trip out there, just have to find the time. When I wrote the last post I knew what the reply would be! You see-I have that little voice in my head that is usually right, but I always ignore it, so I usually take one step forward then two steps back.

I'm heading up to Windsor, Conn. for an overnight for work today, don't think I will find any deals on coal up there.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”