Closing Baro for Increased Draft

mina678

Post by mina678 » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 7:13 am

The keystone hf-70 Handfired has been plugging along for over a week but had to let it go out this morning it's supposed to be warm for couple days
My question is is it ok to just hold the baro damper closed for a few minutes after adding coal to increase the draft ,I have been doing that over the last week and it works great for getting a tired fire back up to speed.
It doubles or triples my draft and the fire takes right off close all the dampers and 12 hours later it's still burning great and do the same process all over again.

Thanks

Tim

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 8:37 am

In my opinion, a baro is more critical in an oil fired situation, where everything is established right from the get/go.

When burning wood or coal, the parameters of the burn change as it progresses over a period of time. I'd say the baro is more to prevent over heating after it gets "cookin' ".

Your procedure seems OK to me.
Last edited by Dallas on Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

first-timer

Post by first-timer » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 9:30 am

my baro damper is always closed , thats the way the stove place hooked it up , and they said if it flaps when its windy to adjut the weight in more

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 9:58 am

they said if it flaps when its windy to adjut the weight in more
I'd say that was bad advice. It should flap when windy. It's purpose is to maintain a preset draft over the fire, independent of what's happening in the chimney.

mina678

Post by mina678 » Tue. Nov. 13, 2007 11:41 am

When I have a fire going my baro is almost wide open and a draft of .04 which stays just about still thru the duration of the fire.
I have a strong draft I think without the baro my fire would be out of control .

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 5:28 am

I would install a hand damper also on a chimbley that sucks that hard, cut her back enough to get the baro tappin closed

mina678

Post by mina678 » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 7:20 am

I have a hand damper installed 6 inches above the stove then the baro above that and when I have a fire going the baro never closes,thats with the hand damper closed right up .The hand damper has some space around the edge and slots in the middle so air is getting thru. .It's almost wide open do you think that is a bad thing.

I would like to close down the air more in warm weather but don't know how

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”