Keeping the Stove Burning All Night

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Some one down the line here posted about taking door gasket and sticking it to the doors with gasket adhesive. The round ones are probably too large but maybe this would work with some of the thin rectangular gaskets you see around Harman windows. Try here first - My Little Potbelly on Anthracite Good luck, Lisa

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Wed. Dec. 28, 2011 12:50 am

Here is my cannon heater aka "potbelly"

Notice the door gasket? That gasket against the stove is air tight. This particular stove is sealed very well. I have yet to burn it hooked up to the flue yet but I sealed every section and am doing the gasket trick that fraco b suggested. I was going to use this stove as my main source of heat until I read all of the wonderful info that these guys had to offer on this site. I had already purchased a Warm morning stove for 90$ at a salvage yard so I hooked it up. It's not 100% airtight either but such a good design that it works very well. You can find these cheap if the potbelly becomes a head smasher :bang:
Image keep reading all these post here. There is such a wealth of information. You can read my experience here.
New to the Coal World and Need a Little Direction

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Dec. 28, 2011 8:07 am

An old time told me to add Pea coal on top of the Nut and this will slow down the burn. He has used ash in the past as well. Not good but better then nothing. Also a MPD. will help.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Wed. Dec. 28, 2011 9:18 am

I'm not much of an old timer ;) but I do use the "put pea coal on top of the nut to slow down the burn" trick when I'm idling and have a low draft. It really slows the fire down, sometimes I can't even see red coals peeking through. If you do this remember it will take longer to refresh the stove when you want more heat. I have never put ash on the top of the fire but I have not shaken my grates as vigorously so that some ash is left to slow the fire. Good luck, Lisa

Muss44

Post by Muss44 » Thu. Dec. 29, 2011 9:27 pm

I came across a potbelly stove for cheap and cussed and sweared for two months. By the third month I was checking Craigslist and eBay everyday hour. I found a decent airtight stove for almost the same price. I now can go a full 24hours without touching the stove. A potbelly would be great for a garage or shed, not for a house.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”