Really Temperamental Stove/Draft !!

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sun. Aug. 17, 2008 7:21 am

You know Dallas if you cut out the bottom and placed the stove legs on blocks you could easily get a 12" ash pan under there :yes:

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sun. Aug. 17, 2008 9:43 am

That would have been easier, but not air tight!

As I said on another thread, some of these early modern coal stoves, were a redesign of the their wood stoves, thus the limited ash capacity.

We'll "get er dun", before heating season!

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Aug. 17, 2008 10:49 am

You could add a mini augur to the bottom and just extract the ash and never have to open the door!
Section the door and add 2" then you will have a real ash pan and can then start a new fad/trend/class of modified and super modified hand fired coal stoves.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Sun. Aug. 17, 2008 10:57 am

You could add a mini augur to the bottom and just extract the ash and never have to open the door!
A friend of mine has already said, "he's surprised, I haven't added an auger to take the ashes right outside to a bin." .. Maybe, next year. :rofl:

I am thinking, 2" might do the trick.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Aug. 18, 2008 6:51 am

Damn, I need an augur too. :(

After hearing everyone talking about augur's I was curious if I could some how hook one up to my Pioneer to feed coal to it, now I wonder if I can get one to remove the ash also? :gee:

Dallas we need pictures of your friends setup.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Aug. 18, 2008 10:04 am

The ashes need to gravity feed to the auger.. so you need a deep pan or auger collection area with steeply sloped sides,, the ash will cling to almost vertical surfaces..

If you made a shallower sloped ash-collection pan, you could rig up a externally operated scraper to scrape the ashes off the sides into the auger pickup area..

But I think you need a pretty deep ash collection area to make an auger work..

Let the Science Experiment begin !! If anyone can bend up the metal to make it work, it will be Dallas.. He's a master at bending metal.

Greg L

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Mon. Aug. 18, 2008 10:23 am

*waits for Dallas's pictures and metal bending instructions* :dancing:

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Aug. 18, 2008 6:10 pm

Ya know, you guys are "real pushers"! There won't be an "ash auger" .... this season, anyhow. :) My friend doesn't have an ash auger, he could just see me going for one. :?:

OK! The stove is back on it's feet :!: I've sectioned and added 2" to make the ash door opening 5". I've still got to grind the welds and do some welding around the door frame, resection the door by adding 1", put the hinges on and build up the ash pan. Then a new coat of paint will make it look like it just came out of the show room ... from 50 feet. :lol:

The last picture has the old 3" ash pan in place.
cutB.jpg
.JPG | 116.4KB | cutB.jpg

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 10:23 am

Looks good Dallas. You know it seems like you could have just raised the stove up and added a chute from the grate and allowed gravity to push the ash down into a much larger ash pan, like one of those old metal wash tubes. Sealed it all up and had a handle on top of the chute to open and push the ash's down if you need too, of course with a highly polished chute you'll probably never have to. ;)

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 6:13 pm

Paint makes SUCH a difference :!: Ash pan to go. I have to keep movin', ... it supposed to get to 43* tonight. :x
cutC.jpg
.JPG | 21.2KB | cutC.jpg

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 11:21 pm

From 50 feet and a beer she looks real good!
You got me motivated to break out the Russo's and start prepping them for winter duty!

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Aug. 20, 2008 8:44 am

Looks great Dallas, nice work :clap:

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Sat. Aug. 23, 2008 11:28 am

I'm ready to bring the stove back into the house.

The ash pan, while it didn't turn out to be the most beautiful piece of art work, should work better. It ended up being 4-1/2", .. up from the original 3" pan. In addition, I beveled the back lower corner, as the pan fit pretty snug and any ash or coal lying on the floor of the stove, would prevent getting the pan in all the way and closing the door. Also, I added a pair of handles, so that the pan could be carried as a picnic basket, rather than a box of pizza! To make the pan a bit more presentable, I painted it. ;)

One more thing: After putting the gasket in the ash door, I realized I had set the hinges a bit too close, so I removed the hinges from the stove and welded them back on with a little more clearance. :oops:

As soon as I get a snack, I'll fire up the tractor and bring it back in.

Edit: The stove is back in.

I had some brick, which were cracked, so I thought I'd try repairing them, to see how it worked. The old brick used to "burn through", so they needed to be replaced. I used some "High Heat mortar caulking" from Lowe's. If it doesn't work, I'll get new ones.
cutD.jpg
.JPG | 13.1KB | cutD.jpg
brickpatch.jpg
.JPG | 25.7KB | brickpatch.jpg

Attachments

cutin.jpg
.JPG | 17.6KB | cutin.jpg

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sun. Aug. 24, 2008 8:03 am

Nice work Dallas it looks good.

Now gluing together fire brick, now that doesn't sound like a red neck at all toothy

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Wed. Sep. 03, 2008 6:40 pm

As you may remember, my last project was to be the coal bin in the basement. You may also remember that I was going to use 275 gallon oil tanks to make the bin.

Well, I didn't use the oil tanks .... I just couldn't get comfortable with them. They were going to be a little hard to get to the coal with my "coal scoops", which I made last season, they were going to be prone to rust and before I got the second tank, I came up with a new game plan.

I built the bin of 1/2" plywood and 2" x 4"s. The concrete in the area where the bin is located was raised about 9" above the floor, so I took advantage of that and made a "self feeder", so that I could use my scoopers. The bin has a short 3/4 ton of pea coal and a couple buckets of nut I had in the other building. The dimensions are 4' x4' x 6', so I guess a little over 2 ton capacity.
bin.jpg

Self feeder coal bin

.JPG | 89KB | bin.jpg
Last edited by Dallas on Thu. Sep. 04, 2008 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”