Really Temperamental Stove/Draft !!

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Thu. Nov. 22, 2012 11:09 am

First .. Happy Thanksgiving!

A short follow-up on my outside air source box and fan: The set-up seems to have been an improvement. The biggest changes without the fan, seem to be that the coal burns more completely ... meaning, that it seems to go more to powder, than burned pieces of coal. The fire picks up more quickly, thus making heat sooner. Also, the bed of hot coals, seems to be deeper ... raking it down, until the hot coals are at the grate, doesn't leave me as much room to add new coal. The other thing, which I notice, is that the air flow from the outside air tubes is directly proportionate to fire intensity. ... with the damper open and all red hot coals, the air flow was fairly strong. Once I added fresh coal, the air flow from the tubes slowed. With everything burning at full tilt, the slide damper controls the max burn rate (MPD closed).

With the fan running, burn "pick-up" rate is quicker and max burn rate is higher than I would like, with the same damper opening settings. The fan could be an asset on certain days. The fan kind of "forces" the fire.

I give thanks! :D

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Mon. Dec. 02, 2019 8:43 am

Just found this thread from 7 years ago, and I am curious how your stove has been burning!

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Dec. 02, 2019 10:53 am

Stove is burning fine.

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Mon. Dec. 02, 2019 12:14 pm

I was just fixing my fire and I took a moment to "mentally summarize" my stove performance.

The stove is somewhat sluggish, when the weather is warm (October) and does benefit from the "forced combustion air". When the weather is colder, the stove burns better and does NOT require the "forced combustion air".

Also, there is a massive amount of chimney masonry, which takes a good while to warm for good draft, initially.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”