First Burn With the Chubby Jr

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Dec. 16, 2011 7:15 pm

First Burn with the Chubby Jr

Did my first burn with my "new" Chubby Jr tonight and this is what happened.

Prior to lighting the stove, the wife and I went for a 30 min walk with the dog. I opened several windows to cool the house down a bit so I could see how fast the house warmed up when the stove was going. When I lit the stove the house was at 66 degrees.

Started the stove just like the Chubby Stove video shows. Everything went very smooth. Very easy to fire up.

Once the base was ready I added 2 scoops of Nut coal and then 2 scoops of some Pea coal I had. Once the pea coal was added the fire pot was 1/2 full. I decided to try it with a half load just to see what happens. Lot's of very happy looking Dancing Blue Ladies!

Stove is sitting at 550 degrees and the flue at 210 to 225 with the damper closed 3/4 and the air vent at about 1/8

In 30 mins the house is now at 71 and I am a very happy camper. As of posting this the stove has been going for over 1 hour and everything seems to be going very well.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Outstanding, now load er up like she should be. ;) Play with the draft till you get er comfy.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Fri. Dec. 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Over 2 hours of burn now and the house is at 72.4. Flu temp around 200 and the Chubby jr is holding at 500. The level of coal in the fire box dropped a little of course since the wood base coals have burned away. From everything I have read on this site I think my numbers look pretty good, though there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Now comes the fun part and that is learning how to get the best this little gem of a stove has to offer.

Needless to say I am a very happy camper right now! In hindsight it was probably a blessing in disguise that the Crane 44 I bought was stolen. I think I now have a much better stove and one I plan on having Larry at Chubby Stove restore in the Spring.

fastcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Nut/Stove Mix

Post by fastcat » Fri. Dec. 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Now close the MPD all the way to slow the draft, its cold out, whenit is 50* out you can run it at 3/4 closed.
ONEDOLLAR wrote:First Burn with the Chubby Jr

Did my first burn with my "new" Chubby Jr tonight and this is what happened.

Prior to lighting the stove, the wife and I went for a 30 min walk with the dog. I opened several windows to cool the house down a bit so I could see how fast the house warmed up when the stove was going. When I lit the stove the house was at 66 degrees.

Started the stove just like the Chubby Stove video shows. Everything went very smooth. Very easy to fire up.

Once the base was ready I added 2 scoops of Nut coal and then 2 scoops of some Pea coal I had. Once the pea coal was added the fire pot was 1/2 full. I decided to try it with a half load just to see what happens. Lot's of very happy looking Dancing Blue Ladies!

Stove is sitting at 550 degrees and the flue at 210 to 225 with the damper closed 3/4 and the air vent at about 1/8

In 30 mins the house is now at 71 and I am a very happy camper. As of posting this the stove has been going for over 1 hour and everything seems to be going very well.

jjs777_fzr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Post by jjs777_fzr » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 8:03 am

I found that burning in my chubby sr that using nut was giving me less clinkers (whatever the stuff is called when it sort of morphs into a large piece of modern art). When I used pea I don't think it was allowing enough air flow through the grate.
I don't know the size of the grate openings on the jr - so just saying.
Like you said there will be a learning curve.
Did you post pics of the install ?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 6:07 pm

I have been fighting with my camera of late. So I am sorry, no pics. YET.

I have gone to all NUT wth the JR. Just seems to do better. I get a clinker here and there but nothing I feel I should be losing any sleep over. These Chubby's are basicly idiot proof whe it comes to using them. Seriously how can a person mess things up with one of these units? :?:

I just can't wait till the Spring when the Jr goes down the Larry at Chubby Stoves and he gives her an overhaul. Not that she is in bad shape but I plan on keeping the stove till I die.

jjs Do you have a chubby vid on youtube?

jjs777_fzr

Post by jjs777_fzr » Thu. Jan. 12, 2012 9:32 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:jjs Do you have a chubby vid on youtube?
part1

part2

And I assume you already saw larry's video(s).

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Ciscoborb
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak

Post by Ciscoborb » Fri. Jan. 13, 2012 9:10 pm

I bought a Chubby today :lol: I Got a Chubby!

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Sat. Jan. 14, 2012 1:58 pm

Ciscoborb wrote:I bought a Chubby today :lol: I Got a Chubby!
CONGRATS!!!

I still walk around the house blurting out I"VE GOT A CHUBBY!!! I think you are going to LOVE your chubby! These units are idiot proof!

chubbycoalboy

Post by chubbycoalboy » Mon. Feb. 13, 2012 12:49 am

I bought a Chubby from Larry Trainer a few weeks ago, It's keeping my house nice and warm. The furnace has not come on since I have been running my Chubby.
It's 15 degrees out side now and is nice and warm in side of my house. Larry was very helpful when I had questions. My model is the senior with out the blower. My house is about 1000 sq.ft.

jjs777_fzr

Post by jjs777_fzr » Mon. Feb. 13, 2012 2:30 am

chubbycoalboy wrote:I bought a Chubby from Larry Trainer a few weeks ago, It's keeping my house nice and warm. The furnace has not come on since I have been running my Chubby.
It's 15 degrees out side now and is nice and warm in side of my house. Larry was very helpful when I had questions. My model is the senior with out the blower. My house is about 1000 sq.ft.
Nice - Are you running it in the basement or the living space ?

chubbycoalboy

Post by chubbycoalboy » Mon. Feb. 13, 2012 9:43 am

It is in my living room.

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Sun. Apr. 22, 2012 5:27 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:Over 2 hours of burn now and the house is at 72.4. Flu temp around 200 and the Chubby jr is holding at 500. The level of coal in the fire box dropped a little of course since the wood base coals have burned away. From everything I have read on this site I think my numbers look pretty good, though there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Now comes the fun part and that is learning how to get the best this little gem of a stove has to offer.

Needless to say I am a very happy camper right now! In hindsight it was probably a blessing in disguise that the Crane 44 I bought was stolen. I think I now have a much better stove and one I plan on having Larry at Chubby Stove restore in the Spring.
The Crane 44 would last a lifetime where as the chubby is cast iron (glued N screwed since you cannot effectively weld cast iron), the differences in the coal burn design is almost nothing and both are among the best coal burners ever made! Both are designed ideally to burn Nut size coal (ive seen alot of questions regarding this and alot of misinformation) NUT Coal on both of these units are best! I was not aware Larry brought back Chubby stoves (ill have to google and learn more). But essentially both the Coal Chubby and the Crane 44 are the same stove (the chubby early in its life is flawless, as time goes on however you will notice smells in the home which would never happen with a crane 44). The Coal Chubby is admittedly more attractive then the crane 44 because you can mold in pretty boats or names into the cast iron, some people ensure the smells of a coal fire to have a pretty face the same way some people risk cancer in tanning beds to look sexy. I will say that if I was to buy any coal stove other then a Crane... it would be a Chubby! so enjoy! Sincerely Doug Crane

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Tue. Jan. 19, 2016 1:02 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:I just can't wait till the Spring when the Jr goes down the Larry at Chubby Stoves and he gives her an overhaul. Not that she is in bad shape but I plan on keeping the stove till I die.
1-dollar-- hmm...

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Jan. 19, 2016 1:19 pm

lobsterman wrote:
ONEDOLLAR wrote:I just can't wait till the Spring when the Jr goes down the Larry at Chubby Stoves and he gives her an overhaul. Not that she is in bad shape but I plan on keeping the stove till I die.
1-dollar-- hmm...
And I would have kept her until I bought a BB and Larry offered me the first off the line proto Chubby. We haven't even fired up the Crawford this year as the Chubby is handling the load just fine.

I do miss my Jr. She was my first coal stove that I ran and I am glad she is in a good home in RI. What really eats at me is over the Summer I passed on a Chubby Brickstone. :(

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”