Roof (Fiberglass Shingles) Is Stained Around Chimney

FCAvery
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: EFM, WCB-24, Circulator, 80,000
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine

Post by FCAvery » Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 3:48 pm

My roof has acquired a rust colored stain on my shingles. I've been burning nut anthracite for years, but last year, I noticed the shingles on the side of the roof where the chimney is located, and lined up with the chimney down to the gutter, has a rust type stain. I assume it has to do with the iron in the coal. I'd like to know if anyone else out there has experienced this phenonena. If you have, do you know how to correct?? (get the stain off the shingles). I would really appreciate any help that can be offered. :(
Thanks again

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 4:04 pm

North facing side or South ?...I am asking because my house faces North/South and the North facing side has all kinda stains on the shingles not only near my chimney but all over....wich I think is due to NO where near as much SUN as the South facing side....wich dries way faster and gets the summers heat.
You could be having deposits and such on your shingles on the side that are not getting enough sun to dry them properly ...NOW cleaning em ???...heck I don't know ...I try not to touch my asphalt shingles let alone walk on em unless its a good coool morning....I Just deal with the stains and figure when I redo the roof I will go with nice dark architectural shingles ...lol

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 4:30 pm

Must be a Penna. thing ;) Does it look anything like this?? NO, then don't worry about it. :clap: toothy But seriously, this is from burning wood for many yrs plus pipes rusting--a pix would really help. I can't imagine it having anything to do with the coal. Check your flashing etc. Some is from tar run-off around pipe.

Attachments

001.JPG
.JPG | 36.2KB | 001.JPG

Bob
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Anthracite

Post by Bob » Sun. Dec. 04, 2011 8:02 pm

When burning red ash coal I have the same issues--some staining on the top of the chimney and iron/staining on the shingles below the chimney. Anthracite produces a very fine fly ash and if there is iron in it it will stain.

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 8:15 am

Bob wrote:When burning red ash coal I have the same issues--some staining on the top of the chimney and iron/staining on the shingles below the chimney. Anthracite produces a very fine fly ash and if there is iron in it it will stain.
Same here. Look at my chimney and shingles. These photos were taken a couple of years ago. It still looks the same now.

Attachments

jse_GEDC0403.jpg
.JPG | 24.5KB | jse_GEDC0403.jpg
jse_GEDC0402.jpg
.JPG | 21KB | jse_GEDC0402.jpg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 8:29 am

sterling40man wrote:
Bob wrote:When burning red ash coal I have the same issues--some staining on the top of the chimney and iron/staining on the shingles below the chimney. Anthracite produces a very fine fly ash and if there is iron in it it will stain.
Same here. Look at my chimney and shingles. These photos were taken a couple of years ago. It still looks the same now.
Looks like the rust from the pipe is running down and staining the shingles. As for the red ash coal staining things...I have burned about 10 tons of it in the last two years and haven't noticed the slightest bit of staining on our steel roof. Maybe it is too early to tell, and maybe my tall chimney and severe winds blows the fly-ash to Northern Maine. :D

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 8:35 am

Rob R. wrote:Maybe it is too early to tell, and maybe my tall chimney and severe winds blows the fly-ash to Northern Maine.
I knew it!! It's all Rob's fault guys!! :lol: My chimney is on the back side of my garage......no one sees it. :)

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Dec. 05, 2011 8:56 am

If it's rust, a mild citric acid wash will lift it right off. The stuff is non-toxic and environmentally friendly. They use it in medicines and candy.

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 1:33 pm

Has anyone else had this problem? Our brand new steel roof is stained up pretty good after about 8 months of burning. I was wondering if not having a chimney cap on the masonry chimney would help?

Also thinking about coating the steel in that area with a EPDM Rubber roof product.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 5:02 pm

My roof shingles are stained quite bad. It ran down my roof, into my gutter and across my concrete patio leaving a nice rust stain. I since moved my gutter and just deal with the roof shingles. It's from my cap rusting and running down the pipe. Not much I could do about it. It doesn't last too long. It disintegrates in a matter of a few years. In fact it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty but everytime I call the company to get a replacement they bust my balls about the reason it's rusting is because I'm burning coal. Go figure... ;)

Olllotj

Post by Olllotj » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 5:41 pm

tcalo,

So you think that it is because of your cap rusting? If so, feel I could go without a cap. However I can't tell if its rust water from the cap, or the fly ash itself.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 6:11 pm

I think its from the iron in the coal, but could be wrong. I do know mine is not from the cap because the cap blew off 1 1/2 years ago and it has gotten worse. It is on the downwind side of chimney. Im not going to lose any sleep because of it.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 7:39 pm

The reason for a stained roof is because of the chimney cap. As hot cases flow up the chimney they condense on the cap and drip down on the roof. Doesn't matter whether wood or coal, or oil, it's gonna happen. Repaired many a woodstove chimney because creosote dripping from the cap ate up the top cap & chimney block. I realize a cap is necessary with a SS chimney, but those with masonry should get rid of them. My masonry chimney is cap less & has been for 53 years; I have burned solid fuel since 1978 & never any stains on shingles.
Jim

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 7:51 pm

tcalo wrote:It's from my cap rusting and running down the pipe.
My cap rusted and ran down the SS pipe, also. I didn't notice it on the dark roofing, but it stained the white drip edge. Once the cap rusted enough to disintegrate (when the cleaning brush hit it) I replaced it and a lot of the stain has disappeared in one year.

Olllotj

Post by Olllotj » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Interesting. The caps will be gone in the morning, and I'll give it another year.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”